Hazro 24" HZ24W S-IPS Monitor

There are only 2 threads where "Hazro" is mentioned on this entire forum, anyone own one here but not mentioned it yet? mine arrives tomorrow so am just preparing to do a quick review like the BenQ earlier !

My previous monitor ownerships include:

17"

- TN AG Neovo (non widescreen)

19"

- TN Hyundai N91W

20"

- S-IPS Dell 2007WFP (2 replacements, initial A02=faulty, A03=banding, A04=perfect)

24"

- S-PVA Hyundai W241D (text too soft, bezel too thick)

- S-PVA BenQ FP241W (Strange buzzing on lower brightness levels, backlight bleeding)

- S-PVA Dell 2408WFP (Red fringe around text, unusable input lag for FPS gaming and fine detailed Photoshop work)

I needed more Photoshop workspace so chose 24" but from the above you can see neither of the 24" displays I chose based on reviews and research ended up sticking around for too long. Hopefully the Hazro will take me back to how I felt with the 2007WFP Dell with its IPS panel. I will be sacrificing HDCP and HDMI input but the former is easily defeated using AnyDVDHD software and the latter by using a HDFury dongle connected to a PS3 (if I get one) for HDCP output into VGA.

I chose the Hazro because it's the only 24" you can get using an IPS panel after having no luck with VA based panels, it came to ?440 which included a ?20 next day delivery fee which is a fair price for a premium panel technology. 3~ years ago I paid over ?300 for the Dell 2007WFP, a premium to have one of the best 20" widescreens! (The NEC 20GX was the other IPS 20" at the time, well still is...)

Will update thread tomorrow midday but for the moment, some Hazro specs:

Site + info: http://www.hazro.co.uk/products/hazro_hz24w.html

Pic:

bannerhl6.jpg

Reminds me a lot of the Apple Cinema HD screens, minimal look and no nonsense styling just minus the big cost!

It's worth noting that the warranty for all Hazro displays is now 3yrs instead of 1yr and HDCP is going to be a part of all screens for those not wanting to remove it via software or HDFury down the line in a few months. The 30" model is also going to have HDMI input sometime this year as I was hinted by the Hazro agent on the phone.

UPDATE:

I have been in London all day so not had chance to unpack the monitor until now, and OH MY GOD! it oozes quality from the all aluminium shell to the out of the box brightness and colour, it's very comfy to the eyes at the default 68b/68c but for a nice neutral feel I dropped the brightness by 10 and it's awesome.

I doubt calibration will make a huge difference like it did with the VA panels, I can tell just from looking at it alone but will do so anyway as soon as the Macbeth Eye-One arrives tomorrow.

S-IPS forev:D :D

The Hazro has:

- No backlight bleat all/u>

- No gradient banding

- The world famous "IPS effect" - there's a kid of twinkling effect when moving around the screen not something that affects photo editing or usage though, only visible on an all black screen.

- No input lag, well it's the same as the Dell 2007WFP so it's go:) :)

- A dust magnet! hehe

- Likely to get peoples fingers chopped off by the owner if they put another finger print on the bezel >_<

- Gets warm to the touch all over thanks to the Aluminium case transferring heat out instead of blasting it into your face through the front like the BenQ did!

Pics:

pc_TFT_Hazro_front1.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_back.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_outofboxcolours.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_backlight.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_buttons.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_desktop.jpg

Watched some Diehard4 in HD too which was great, no issues in movies at all.

Will be playing some TF2 later on tonight to see what gaming is like but am in no rush as I know it's going to be awesome!

Edited by mrk

not bad, thats about 66 pounds (120$) less than what I can get the Lacie 324 for...which is an 8 bit IPS panel as well, and has had rave reviews from photographers, b ecause I, like you need it mostly for photoshop...I am definately waiting to hear how you're review goes, because If i can get this for 860$ instead of 990$, and still have a comparable screen, I'd definately go for it.

Will you be profiling this screen? If you do, please let me know if you see any noticable dithering or color problems after profiling.

not bad, thats about 66 pounds (120$) less than what I can get the Lacie 324 for...which is an 8 bit IPS panel as well, and has had rave reviews from photographers, because I, like you need it mostly for photoshop...I am definately waiting to hear how you're review goes, because If i can get this for 860$ instead of 990$, and still have a comparable screen, I'd definately go for it.

Will you be profiling this screen? If you do, please let me know if you see any noticeable dithering or color problems after profiling.

It will be colour profiled yep and to help this I have decided to sell the SPyder2 Express probe and ordered a GretegMacbeth/X-Rite Eye-One Dispay2 probe for ?133 today too as the Spyder2 appears to have not so great ability in adjusting the whitepoint and gamma values correctly according to various reviews I found (though of course still better than no calibration!)

I think it may be UK only at the moment, I know they are looking for resellers all over the place and Overclockers UK are currently in talks of getting the model lineup too so fingers crossed!

Dude, I think you have sold it to me! I will check around for any other IPS 24"ers, not too keen on the lack of inputs as I'd like to have my wii, xbox and pc all hooked up to it.

EDIT:

Where did u get it from? And can you explain about the HDCP HDFury thing

Edited by Twisted Chaz

HDFury, just do a google and teh first result will explain all :D

As for your consoles, you can have them all! Wii via component and xbox360 using the VGA connection and PC using DVI :)

?

I said it doesn't have HDCP but you can bypass HDCP encryption in Bluray players by using a hdfury cable or from PC output by using ANyDVD-HD software!

It's worth noting that the warranty for all Hazro displays is now 3yrs instead of 1yr and HDCP is going to be a part of all screens for those not wanting to remove it via software or HDFury down the line in a few months. The 30" model is also going to have HDMI input sometime this year as I was hinted by the Hazro agent on the phone.

LOL @ the guy getting sat on

that is an arm! rofl man i'm trying to eat here and you say that and then i look at the picture again lol

I am really liking the look of the 23" model with its smaller pixel pitch for the same resolution as the 24".

Where did you buy this from?

You have sold me - I was thinking about buying an ACD but I prefer the look of the black one...

I ordered direct from Hazro :D

It's worth waiting maybe a few weeks though as there is currently a DPMS power save mode issue related to Vista where the screen doesn't go into power save mode correctly and they are currently working on a fix for this - still even if you do get one they can use the swapout service if yours is not updated by then :)

not bad, thats about 66 pounds (120$) less than what I can get the Lacie 324 for...which is an 8 bit IPS panel as well, and has had rave reviews from photographers, b ecause I, like you need it mostly for photoshop...I am definately waiting to hear how you're review goes, because If i can get this for 860$ instead of 990$, and still have a comparable screen, I'd definately go for it.

Will you be profiling this screen? If you do, please let me know if you see any noticable dithering or color problems after profiling.

hi - i have read rave reviews from photographer forums about Lacie 324 as well...BUT

- it's not IPS, it's S-PVA

- in UK it's $1500+ so not comparable to Hanzo unfortunately

I have however spoken to ColorConfidence tech director in detail and he reckons, PVA technology is making leaps and buonds whilst IPS is falling behind. He also recommended the Lacie 324 as an amazing panel esp if you buy a calibrator capable of tweaking it's internal HARDWARE adjustments (not graphic card) using the manufacturer provided software (extra $$$). It's still great without the calibrator & software, you just won't get the best from it. Huey Pro and x-rite Eye LT is not good enough, you need x-rite Eye 2 and better to leverage the manufacturer's software.

I'm confused myself but the Hanzo looks like a good compromise for the price delta.

Lacie 324 w/ software + hood is about ?780 in uk!!

I guess it all comes down whether you need a IPS is a must or will a superior S-PVA be better in other ways/overall and you can live with the colour/contrast shift.

I'm still undecided!

Whether S-PVA is making leaps or not it still remains the case that at wider angles PVA panels do shift colours slightly, even on the Lacie 324. The IPS panel has none of this plus with a 6ms response time it;s still up there with the rest for gaming etc.

I found out my Eye2 Match software has a validation tool built in so here are my results of dE value:

pc_TFT_Hazro_dEvalues.jpg

Lacie say below 1.0 is superior colour fidelity whilst under 2 is good (A calibration "pass" mark) and above 2 being your everyday standard panel pretty much.

Still waiting for mine to be delivered. Ordered on Friday, and they said it would probably be in my hands on Saturday or definately by Monday. Now Tuesday, and getting closer and closer to the 4pm deadline.

Bit dissapointed in being forced into paying ?20 for next day delivery, and it not even arrived yet.