Hazro 24" HZ24W S-IPS Monitor

Received the following reply from Hazro:

Many thanks for showing interest in Hazro monitors. Hazro is currently developing the HCS [Hazro Calibration Suite] and will bundle this with the LUT [Look Up Table] technology incorporated into the AD Board.

However, an ETA cannot be provided nor is there 100% confirmation that this will rolled out on the HZ24W [it is more likely to be present on the 26" HZ26W]. The total package, when made available will offer the

following:

Hazro TFT Monitor

Adjustable Height + Swivel stand

HDMI, RGB, DVI and Component inputs

12 bit LUT functionality

Calibration suite [HCS]

Hazro OEM Calorimeter

Dissapointed to hear they're focusing on the 26" whcih although nice is a wide gamut monitor and i'm staying clear of those for now until apps on PC become more colour aware. Nice features I would like to see included in the 24" woud be the better stand, HDMI, vesa 100 mount bracket (no mention so far!) and most importantly the calibration suite. Bugger...if only they confirm it'll be out on the 24" then i would wait.

When I spoke to Hazro they hinted at maybe replacing teh AD board on the 24" reported by many owners with the Vista issue just to get the issue fixed. Now if they do this the new AD board supports hdcp and everything so those owners may be able to get a nicer screen with more features!

When I spoke to Hazro they hinted at maybe replacing teh AD board on the 24" reported by many owners with the Vista issue just to get the issue fixed. Now if they do this the new AD board supports hdcp and everything so those owners may be able to get a nicer screen with more features!

Here's to hoping! :rolleyes:

Just left my PC on whilst I had dinner, 360 was plugged into component, but turned off. The monitors went into sleep mode or whatever, cause I was gone for a while, came back and the screen kept pulsating with my desktop to black and back again. Might try and see if I can get it to do it again when I watch the apprentice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my monitor back as it decided to just turn itself off and then never came on again. I got it back today, and it's still got the same problem. Before I set it up I made sure that all my speakers where no where near it, powered straight from the wall socket and hooked up to my PC. Within minutes it was doing the same thing. Also when it came back it was a bit loose, like all of the outer shell was very wobbly.

E-mailed them tonight, will hopefully here from the tomorrow. I don't think I'm destined to have a good computer set-up everytime I get close something breaks.

Unlucky dude! I'm still waiting for confirmation on the Vista DPMS fix but the monitor itself is working 100% perfect in use so I can't complain for the DPMS issue for the time being!

mrk,

I don't want to semi-hijack this or anything, but I am seriously now considering this as an alternative to the NEC or Lacie high end monitors, however looking at the prices in pounds on overclockers.uk, I may go with the 26" model as it's only 150$ more. My question to you would be though, would you recommend this as a good photo editing monitor? I do game on my pc as well, but I want to replace my 21" lcd, and I am looking at the Lacie and this as options, the high end NEC's are about 1100$ (around 500 pounds i think) I would definately go for the 26" hazro if it is worth it since it's only 449 pounds.

I'll look for some more reviews elsewhere on the 26, but I'm definately thinking of getting one of these....if ican find a way to get it stateside.

The 26" is a wider gamut screen so should be even better regarding colour range as opposed to the 24" but yes either way I'd recommend it as a photo editing monitor, You have a colour calibrator if I remember right so colours and levels will be even better still once calibrated!

I'm now getting a dE result of 0.84 after some manual adjusting during calibration on the 24" :)

if the 26" is so cheap I may also make note to upgrade to that model when Hazro notify me of the DPMS fix as the extra 2 inches will come handy when movie watching from afar!

the 24" is 379 on overclockers.uk, and the 26 is 499 pounds....thats 740$ vs. 900$.....I'm pretty stuck now haha. I really wanted a 24" but for only 160 more, i think the extra 2" would be beneficial to editing.

Also yes, I do profile my monitor every 2 weeks to 1 month, so the colors should be dead on. One last question, do you know if these have rotation capabilities so I can rotate it to portrait mode to work on images?

Thanks...I just need to figure out how to get one of these over here now. We have some engineers that go to the UK all the time, maybe i can arrange to have one of them bring one back haha.

The default stand has no rptation for portrait mode but Hazro have said a optional stand with more adjustment will be available soon!

Also I just checked the ocuk prices and you're correct but they are excluding VAT, down here in the UK VAT kills us unfortuantely so I'd need to add over ?100 extra for the 26" !! will stick to 24" I think for the mo hehe:))

• 1 month later...

I've read through this thread and think I might get one of these.

Is the 26 inch better than the 24 inch in ways other than size? I hope it offers exactly the same quality etc.

I would love to get the 24 inch but an adjustable stand is very important to me and it looks as if that is only being brought in for the 26.

I will wait for further news.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of this brand....but it's got an S-IPS panel, so that's a definite plus. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know is DPMS power save mode issue related to Vista has been fixed yet? This monitor looks beautiful by the way. Any idea if I can get one in the states?

• 2 weeks later...

The DPMS issue exists on vista and MAC OS from what Hazro have told me previously, later this year is when non UK resellers should start I think!

Hazro delivered the updated 24" panel today and took away my old one, the HZ24W.

The revision I have been sent is the HZ24Wi which has:

HDMI

Composite Video in

RCA Audio in

3.5mm Audio in/out (OSD has volume control for output)

DVI

Component

VGA

The spec sheet states it has 5ms response time.

Now the fun info!

The panel itself is different to the previous HZ24W, the previous panel was matt finish whilst this one is glossy exactly like the NEC 20" GX IPS panel but the clarity and vibrancy of photographs is absolutely sublime! The Wi has the same polariser as on the 26" screen.

The OSD is different too and the OSD reports this is version 1.0 of the HZ24Wi.

The previous screen had a slight black trail when moving the mouse cursor on a white background. This is completely gone on the Wi. On top of this there is zero visible input lag that i could determine (my work PC has a wired MS optical mouse of POS variety ;p). The quality looks amazing fro my work PC, I can only imagine what it will be like on my PC at home tonight.

The Screen build quality is the same as the previous model, the connections on the back look as badass as the did before but now with more connections.

THE HAZRO BADGE ON THE FRONT IS NOW STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMFG11leventy!

The only minor gripe is that the OSD position option allows for up down left right movement of the OSD but I have failed to find the left right keys (they don't exist??!) and also the Aspect ratio cannot be changed by simply pressing one button anymore, you have to go into the menu to adjust aspect ratio though this is only minor because you'd only really need to set it once for your HDMI source for 1920x1080 resolution whilst your computer runs native anyway so no need for scaling.

Input switching though is one button on the front of the screen which is good. you get an OSD menu allowing you to select the input this time instead of the button just cycling inputs.

I'm actually very glad I waited for this revision and stuck with it. Hazro support has been first class, they always called me back (though on occasions I did have to send them a web note just to find out about updates though they called me back to update each time).

Pics later tonight :)

It has a mirror like finish which is the polariser filter to improve IQ. there are no annoying reflections getting in the way though

Ok here we go!

First off the rear:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_rear1.jpg

The backlight on black background with lights off (notice the Eye-One dangling on there):

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_backlight.jpg

YAY!

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_badge.jpg

Various Reflections examples:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_glossy1.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_glossy2.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_reflection_off.jpg

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_reflection_on.jpg

Text sharpness/purity:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_textsharpness.jpg

Photos have more presence on this screen now too:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_photoIQ_1.jpg

After Calibration:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i__devalue.jpg

A dE of 0.4 is amazing! Lacie say a dE of below 1.0 is of professional standard for an LCD.

In normal light:

pc_TFT_Hazro_i_normalight.jpg

I will complete input lag test next to a Dell 17" CRT tonight so stay tuned :D

This may be just ignorance, but a question rises to my mind after I saw that revised monitor comes with a glossy screen.

AFAIK the advantage of a S-IPS panel is its color fidelity. Yet if you put a glossy screen on top of the panel, the highlights produced in the screen will change the colors and will produce gradients (you can see gradients in this photo: http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_r...lection_on.jpg). Furthermore, as a glossy panel owner, I can say that gradients are produced --along with other problems like myself being mirrored in the screen-- even when looking from the front, in a room where light comes from a side. With my current monitor I am forced to live in darkness (almost) in order to overcome those problems.

So what's the reason to put a glossy screen in a S-IPS panel?

Aside from this, this is a really nice monitor; I am considering buying it in 15 august when it will come to overclockers.co.uk store.

Do you have a H-IPS panel with glossy polariser? The only other Glossy one I have seen is the NEC 20WGX2 and that's an S-IPS panel with glossy screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by gradients, there is no banding effect at all, the photo you point out is a wallpaper saved in standard quality JPEG on deviantart but as I like it I use it as a wallpaper.

The glossy filter is a part of the panel itself not just an addon that mutes colours or anything, it improves colour accuracy as I have proven in my first new post with the average delta-E value dropping to 0.4 over the previous non glossy version of the monitor which was 0.78 (lower is better).

Glossy is a far nicer type of panel to be using for 2D work as text is crisper, deeper and is easier on the eyes as a whole!

By the gradients I mean that the radial gradient present when the screen is turned off (caused by light reflection):

http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_r...lection_off.jpg

Is also present when it's turned on:

http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/gear_r...lection_on.jpg

The colors are subtlely modified by the highligths.

Anyway, you made very good points towards purchasing this monitor.

The monitor looks very nice, but the glossy screen may not be the best choice for me as I have three vertical panel windows near me.

I don't really know Hazro, but does the screen quality blow the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC away? I can purchase one for $350 new through AAFES.