• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[Ext] Glasser 1.0 (Alpha)

Question

6XGate    0

Windows Aero Glass for Firefox

Latest Version: 3.5.2

Firefox Versions Supported by Latest: 3.5.5 to 3.6.*

GlassFirefox.png

Get the latest news on Glasser from Sleeping Cats

The Glasser extension provides a major visual upgrade to Mozilla Firefox when running on Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 by instructing Windows to make the toolbars in Firefox rendered over Windows Aero Glass. Read this entire article before install this extension.

System Requirements

Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

A DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor with a WDDM driver that support Pixel Shader 2.0 and has at least 128MiB of Video RAM (as required for Windows Aero)

Your active visual style must be Window Aero.

Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 or later. Known to work for the current 3.6 beta.

Known Issues

Because of several bugs in the Cairo graphics library, which is used in Mozilla Firefox; some font colors may now mix well over certain backgrounds when used over or near Aero rendered portions of the UI. This problem only manifests it self when using third-party themes or user-applied styles. There is also a known bug with the calculating of rendered text sizes that can cause Cairo to cut off the a small portion of the last character in some text. These are known issues with Mozilla Firefox and Cairo and both parties are working to resolve them. Usually these bugs do not cause any text to become unreadable but may produce undesired results.

Install

Get the latest version from AddOns.Mozilla.Org. With some releases, the latest version may be in a sandbox, but can be installed without problem.

Options

BarsScreenshot.jpg

Glasser can look really great with a few extra tools and finger work. If you would like your Mozilla Firefox install to look like any one of those pictured above, simply install the Stylish Add-on and check out the Glasser Extras forum on SleepingCats.org. Also, if you wish to hide the menu bar, download the Personal Menu Add-on or the Hide Menubar Add-on. Both support using the Alt key to temperately show the menu-bar and Personal Menu lets you keep a button on the toolbar to gain access to the menus.

Source Code

Glasser's native components and the extension itself is released under a 2-clause FreeBSD style license. The source code be checked out or view via anonymous SVN over HTTP. Check out the DwmXPCOM Repository for the Glasser XPCOM source and the GeckoSDK needed to compile it. Check out the Glasser Repository for the extension as it is packaged for Mozilla Firefox. You may use Firefox or your favorite SVN client to check out the source code.

Final Note, and Special Thanks

I hope you folks enjoy this extension. If anyone has any suggestions or finds any bugs, feel free to post them here or at the Glasser Forum at SleepingCats.org.

I used a similar method go get the native window handle as used in MinimizeToTray, but coded in C++.

Special thanks goes to Carl Booth for the Aqua personal bar.

Special thanks goes to Relativity_17 for the heads up on the native theme element for Windows Mail/Calendar look.

Special thanks goes to ptmb for for the heads up on the native theme element for Windows Media Player look.

License

Copyright 2008-2009 Matthew Holder. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

6XGate    0

Released Version 1.0.5

• Replaced the method of getting the window handle, now any DOM node and be used. Thanks to Canyonero for the method used to do this.
  • Now the Visual C Runtime is not longer required.
  • Added 1px extra padding to the bottom of the #nav-bar

LewisBraid    0

Tried this out today, awesome mod!

zhangm    1,281
Well everyone, thanks to Julius Caro, there is a version of Glasser for x64 builds of Firefox.

Thanks to you both.

Julius Caro    55
I have a question. How do I get my top bar ( File,edit, etc. ) to be colored like you guys? Is it because of the Visual Style I am using? Or is it something else I haven't installed?

post-119661-1209401958_thumb.jpg

It is they bookmarks bar they are using, not the menu bar. The menu bar is actually hidden.

Right click near the buttons, check "bookmarks toolbar", then move the bookmarks back there and install some extension that hides the menu. Then install one of the userChrome.css provided in the first post of this thread to get it coloured.

proximo    0
Either "Customise Toolbar > Use Small Icons" or edit the Personal Toolbar's chrome JAR file (on my system located at -

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\extensions\CompactMenuCE@Merci.chao\chrome

Unzip the "compact-ce.jar" file there, in the skin directory replace "menu.png" with "menu-small.png", zip back up and change the extension to ".jar". You can use WinRAR to look around the JAR file and change files too.

i tried to use that but seems like it wont work for me. the toolbar wont resize itself back to its usual size unless i remove the icon. also when it is there it doesn't display the image correctly. please help.

vajlent    2

It doesn?t work for me?

All that happens when i drag & drop the install.rdf file is this:

What am i doing wrong?

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

:o! Awesome! I'll be sure to try this out!

Marcel T    3

For those cautious to test this, just create a new profile in Firefox and test away.

Knife Party    630

cheers for the effort, my now on Firefox beta 5 :D

ViperAFK    795
I never used this, I don't see the point of that tool.

Just deactivate the extension compatibility check and it's over.

extensions.checkCompatibility;false

I just like some of the features it has like analyzing memory leaks, extension list, open profile folder ect...

SMELTN    142

and that worked perfect.

Thanks some_guy

I have another question.. And I will be done.

Is there a way I can either CHANGE the favorites icon from being the ugly folder? OR is there just a way I can get rid of the folder icon all together?

post-119661-1210438523_thumb.jpg

Panarchy    0

Thanks, but didn't work for me (buggy) gave me this instead of aero: nondb1.th.jpg

:(

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I'm using 64-bit

Oh, fixed it (by using 32-bit one)

Though the menubar is a bit weird...

EDIT: It's not: http://archangelx2.deviantart.com/art/Dyna...t-Prev-56649420 but it's pretty good :p (exactly what I was looking for actually!)

6XGate    0
Thanks for the update :-)

But I notice lately that the "e" in File and the "p" everywhere is cut off (the search box, address bar and bookmark toolbar) Is there a way to fix this?

At the moment I'm not sure since this is an issue with XUL elements having an opacity or rounded borders. I've seen this without using Glasser.

Mozilla Bug 363861, you can signup and vote on the bug here as well.

DreadBoat89    0

very very nice...

9UnknownMen    13
Hi Everyone,

I've made Aqua and Black themes for this extension. Find them in the attached ZIP.

Screenshot:

toolbarsdh0.th.jpg

Anyway to make the Bookmark Toolbar thinner(heigh wise)? I'm an 12.1" screen would like to thin down the realestate there.

Thanks!

Marcel T    3
How can I make the Personal Menu icon in the bookmarks toolbar smaller?

Either "Customise Toolbar > Use Small Icons" or edit the Personal Toolbar's chrome JAR file (on my system located at -

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\extensions\CompactMenuCE@Merci.chao\chrome

Unzip the "compact-ce.jar" file there, in the skin directory replace "menu.png" with "menu-small.png", zip back up and change the extension to ".jar". You can use WinRAR to look around the JAR file and change files too.

smctainsh    2

Awesome extension - I'm using it right now with Firefox 3 Beta 5. :D

Smctainsh

cyberkilla    0
new issue... see below:

post-87206-1209137708.jpg

this happens with the latest nightly on an encrypted and digitally signed website.

This is happening to me too!

It looks like they made the favicon box a different size, because it seems more rounded.

Julius Caro    55

according to this:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yb4317s.aspx

I should see the x64 platform in that drop down menu, but it is not there! only win32 and four other platforms are there. On visual c# there are both x86 and x64. On c++ no way!

Edit: Okay, my bad. One would have thought that after installing a crapload of x64 tools, the installer would have also installed the x64 compilers. Turns out it didnt. Now I can see the x64.

I get the following errors when compiling:

1>------ Build started: Project: gecko-sdk, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Parsing nsIXULWindow.idl...
1>Parsing nsIWebNavigation.idl...
1>Parsing nsIDocShellTreeOwner.idl...
1>Parsing nsIDocShellTreeNode.idl...
1>Parsing nsIDocShellTreeItem.idl...
1>Parsing nsIDocShell.idl...
1>Parsing nsIBaseWindow.idl...
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Julius\Documents\dwmxpcom\gecko-sdk\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>gecko-sdk - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
2>------ Build started: Project: dwmxpcom, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
2>Parsing IDwmCalls.idl...
2>Compiling...
2>stdafx.cpp
2>Compiling...
2>CDwmCalls.cpp
[b]2>c:\users\julius\documents\dwmxpcom\gecko-sdk\include\prcpucfg.h(149) : fatal error C1189: #error :  unknown processor architecture
2>CDwmCallsModule.cpp
2>c:\users\julius\documents\dwmxpcom\gecko-sdk\include\prcpucfg.h(149) : fatal error C1189: #error :  unknown processor architecture[/b]
2>dwmxpcom.cpp
2>Generating Code...
2>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Julius\Documents\dwmxpcom\dwmxpcom\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
2>dwmxpcom - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm looking for a version of prcpucfg.h that will work on x64, I'll keep ya posted xD

DrewJW    9

Most impressive work.

mercury7    0
Actually, there nothing in that that as been taken from the first post other than the extension itself...

I would also like to know how you got the tab bar so pimp looking!

Lee G.    234

Awesome - I'm using it now! (Y)

6XGate    0

Check out this reply to my mozillazine post for Glasser.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...3364671#3364671

Its because this bug landed, which just broke my theme I spent the last 2 hours making grr!

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=431309

Need to figure out what I need to change now in it to get it working with stylish as adding -moz-win is not working.

EDIT>

Fixed, just change media-toolbox to -moz-win-media-toolbox and same for the communications one as well.

-Hiroshi-    0

Installed, rock solid, very stable and with the added stuff put in, it looks incredibly more polished than what Mozilla is currently offering, perhaps they should take notice and implement this into their newer builds. ;)

post-118616-1208916689_thumb.jpg

Calum    815

I've noticed a bug in either Firefox 3.0b5 or the Glasser extension:

When you drag a tab to another position on the tab bar, the text and favicon in the title of that tab will disappear... :(

Can somebody please tell me if this is a bug in the Glasser extension? Or a bug in Beta 5 of Firefox 3?

Thank you :)