New Wii game engine promises PS3 visuals

Well the Wii has plenty of power to output 720P atleast cause if you remember the xbox 1 could output games up to 1080i some games supported 720p/1080 back then or well later titles did .

Wii runs @ something like 729mhz with 88megs of Ram and an ATI GPU running at 250mhz or so and the Xbox 1 ran 733mhz celron chip with 64megs ram and a 233mhz Nvidia Geforce 3 based GPU

so i do think the Wii could easily output 1080i or 720p if nintendo did an update to the FW and drivers to the unit.

Difference between output and native :p

Allow outputting at 720p would at least upscale everything and make it look a bit better...

Resolution (while important) isn't the most important thing.

How many shader pipelines does it have, how many pixel operations can it do per second, what's the max resolution of textures it can support, etc.

The Wii can't match the PS3 (or 360) in this regard, So they're going to have to either cut a lot of corners (most likely) or be really, really smart about it to come anywhere close to matching the quality.

And of course, if you're max resolution is much lower than the "minimum" of another device you can cut down on resource quality without sacrificing much visual output quality.

You guys do know that this got enough attention that when ign released this i think ign stated 10 different publishers want to publish the game that uses this engine so obviously it cant be that bad.

Way better than current games, sure, but nothing to compare to PS3/X360...

yeah... that's been said at least 10 times now

You guys do know that this got enough attention that when ign released this i think ign stated 10 different publishers want to publish the game that uses this engine so obviously it cant be that bad.

Well the big thing here is it's the first engine that has been released for licensing that comes even remotely close to what Factor 5 was able to get out of GameCube (since Factor 5 doesn't seem interested in releasing their engine like this).

Still looks decidedly 2 - 3 years old tech wise to me to be honest. It looks fairly nice but the gameplay screens are extremly dull, missing alot of the things that make a world feel alive like decent lighting as well as propper shadows by enemies and the terrain.

The in motion tech demo looks better but still a bit flat and a single room tech demo may not be a good indicator of what to expect from a final game once levels blow out ect.

Looks promising I'll give it that, but certainly not up to the standards that the 360 and ps3 can produce, at least not yet from what I've seen.

Didn't think the Wii had the hardware groin to produce decent visuals. I still think that is about on par with Gamecube visuals...but maybe that's just me...

I'm not that impressed. Maybe I'm too used to HD visuals. Maybe it's because I was trying to run a youtube video in full screen @ 1680x1050. Anyone have a true 480p direct feed to this video?

Anyway, what the Wii really needs is displacement mapping. Nintendo has a patent to fasten up Displacement Mapping, so why not use it on Wii?