How Does Aspartame Damage Your Brain ?

Consuming a lot of aspartame may inhibit the ability of enzymes in your brain to function normally, according to a new review by scientists from the University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo.

The review found that high doses of the sweetener may lead to neurodegeneration. It has also previously been found that aspartame consumption can cause neurological and behavioral disturbances in sensitive individuals.

Specifically, the review found a number of direct and indirect changes that occur in your brain as a result of high consumption levels of aspartame, including disturbing:

• The metabolism of amino acids
  • Protein structure and metabolism
  • The integrity of nucleic acids
  • Neuronal function
  • Endocrine balances

Further, the breakdown of aspartame causes nerves to fire excessively, which can indirectly lead to a high rate of neuron depolarisation.

Despite these growing concerns, neither the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) or the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have changed their guidelines regarding the safety of the ingredient or intake advice.

http://foodqualitynews.com/news/ng.asp?id=84424

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v62/n4/abs/1602866a.html

Research the Donald Rumsfeld connection as to why it's legal. I've never liked the stuff, and I don't consume it.

It's all bullcrap. only way you can get side effects is if you are allergic to it. Sugar producers are threatened by artificial sweetner makers.

I don't think it's definitive. They say something today, and then later down the line they change it up again blaming science or the study was somehow wrong. This study has been going for a long time now and I've heard both sides. Too much of anything is bad for you, just use it in moderation like it's meant to be used. If they have found something bad, they are not letting it out the bag yet because millions, maybe billions, of people will sue them for lying about the effects.

I've always avoided aspartame, but is sucralose (Splenda) any safer?

edit: avoided aspartame my ass! I remembered that I consume a lot of Trident chewing gum and it has aspartame. I must be ****ed then. :(

Edited by bmaher
Don't try to avoid the swear filter

I've always avoided aspartame, but is sucralose (Splenda) any safer?

sucralose is pretty much sugar but the gene's are modified.

It's all bullcrap. only way you can get side effects is if you are allergic to it. Sugar producers are threatened by artificial sweetner makers.

Sugar producers paid off reputable scientists from the likes of Journal of Advancement in Medicine and Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology to forge the results of multiple independent studies? :shiftyninja:

I consider a fizzy drink to be a weekly treat. I pretty much just drink cordial (or milkshake if my sugars are low).

Since stopping fizzy drinks I have found that when I do have them, they are REALLY sweet. But moreover, I feel a lot better an my IBS has all but gone!

Sugar producers paid off reputable scientists from the likes of Journal of Advancement in Medicine and Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology to create bogus studies? :shiftyninja:

Sugar is one of the main reasons for obesity in todays society along with many other things, but could you imagine what would happen if there were no reported side effects or myths? why would anyone want to ingest sugar? when calories are reduced and the risk for diabetes are gone. Not to mention a lot of those studies are bogus. You would have take a pretty huge dosage of any artificial sweetener for a long period of time to even get those "reported" side affects

Everything is bad for you, even the water from the tap.

Live life enjoy life don't worry what everyone else things you should eat/do.

Was I being thick, or did that article (or at least what Hum posted) fail to mention details about how much you'd need and how long you'd need to be consuming it? Are those effects temporary or permanent? Can anyone say scare tactics? I do have a friend who is allergic to the stuff, so I don't automatically assume that it's safe just like I don't automatically assume everything read on the internet is true.

What foods/drinks is this stuff in?

anything and everything with "Nutrasweet" contains Aspertame

I drink a lot of Pepsi Max which has Aspartame. I should probably stop drinking it then...

Drink coke then ;)

What foods/drinks is this stuff in?

Generally, most things that are a 'diet' version. E.g Diet Coke. And Chewing Gum etc, just check whenever your buying something that might have a sweetener in it.

Who wants artificial though? Producing chemicals for your food just scares me. There will always be a need for sugar producers so I don't believe thats it.

Consuming a lot of aspartame may inhibit the ability of enzymes in your brain to function normally, according to a new review by scientists from the University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo.

The review found that high doses of the sweetener may lead to neurodegeneration.

What's a high dose? The aspartame equivalence to 10 liters of drink per day? A lot depends on this fact.

Water kills if you take too much of it, and plain sugar will also completely mess with your body if you do the same with that.

I once actually calculated the maximum recommended intake by health organizations, and came up with ~4 liters of Coke Light / day, and they're probably pessimists to be on the safe side. If I'm drinking a light drink, it's like one 33 cl can 2-3 times a week. :p

But sure, I can understand those who don't want artificial chemicals. I don't really care, because a plain steak bought at a store will have the same applied to it, for example as part of its spice. An apple too, a banana, whatever, to add on to its lifetime. Chemicals to kill bacteria for them to look good when still sold in the store enter your system as you take a bite. So well, aspartame could maybe be bad, but I can do no more than trust the health organization advice here, or else I'll end up a nutcase caring for everything if I'm at all to be consistent.

Edited by Jugalator