[Concept]DualShock IV

It looks good, but I still like the original. The only thing I think needs a major change is the triggers on the DS3.

exactly.

Yes, the original Playstation controller was good back in the days - But now Microsoft created a superior controller, Sony need to up their game.

( Yes, personal opinion etc. etc. - Shared by many though )

+1 for the 360 controller, it's one of the main reasons I buy the 360 versions of multi-platform releases. I like your concept sketch though, it would be a huge improvement over the current model.

2 problems:

1. the analog sticks are fine where they are

2. a bigger PS button? wtf are you thinking? or am i the only one to accidently hit the PS button instead of start to pause a game?

+1 for the 360 controller, it's one of the main reasons I buy the 360 versions of multi-platform releases. I like your concept sketch though, it would be a huge improvement over the current model.

almost same here.... but on the flip

only reason i didn't buy a 360 was because i don't like the controller

Ooh, I like the idea of a touchpad. The D-Pad does feel a bit archaic, doesn't it? I mean, they've always looked about the same, and its feels like its "only" 8 directions/buttons. Doesn't it feel a bit silly to essentially hold down 2 "buttons" to walk/move at an angle? =P What about a touchpad integrated directly into the body of the controller, You'd essentially be rubbing your thumb across a soft surface, and since it's a controller, it's more ergonomic than a laptop touchpad.

haha

Noooooo please don't tell me you want the PS3 controller to be like the crappy X360 one! That design is horrid!

Noooooo please don't tell me you want the PS3 controller to be like the crappy X360 one! That design is horrid!

As deep an opinion like in your HAZE thread.

I like it.

One of my biggest complains with the PlayStation brand is that I don't think their controllers are comfortable and one of the major reasons why is because of the placement of the joysticks.

Sony should really take a page out of the 360 book in terms of controller design. All jokes aside, I really feel that the 360 controller is the best console controller ever made. Adding motion sensing capabilities plus its current design would probably bring it as close to perfection as humanly possible. :D

I don't get it - I've stated it on these forums before, but this is how I think about it.

I simply don't get people that complain about the positioning of the left analog stick, yet do NOT complain about the right analog stick. One might say "you don't use it as often", well, you most certainly use it a lot in pretty much every console FPS right now, yet no one complains about it, no one says it's giving their right hand a cramp. I suppose the anatomy of the right hand closely resembles that of the left hand, thus -logically- if one cramps up when using the left one, one can expect to feel discomfort with the right one as well... That's just simply something I have never understood. I know it all comes down to preferences I suppose, but really, think about it.

Besides that, in my personal experience, while the general ergonomics of the Xbox 360 controller are better - they shell is just better - I usually tend to get cramped hands from the left analog stick upon playing for several hours (I do not own a 360, but I think my experience with 12+ hours straight LAN parties 2 of 3 times a year counts)

I don't get it - I've stated it on these forums before, but this is how I think about it.

I simply don't get people that complain about the positioning of the left analog stick, yet do NOT complain about the right analog stick. One might say "you don't use it as often", well, you most certainly use it a lot in pretty much every console FPS right now, yet no one complains about it, no one says it's giving their right hand a cramp. I suppose the anatomy of the right hand closely resembles that of the left hand, thus -logically- if one cramps up when using the left one, one can expect to feel discomfort with the right one as well... That's just simply something I have never understood. I know it all comes down to preferences I suppose, but really, think about it.

I see where you're coming from, but this is my take on it:

On the right side of the controller are frequently used buttons. In the case of FPS, although the joystick is frequently used, the buttons are just as important. There is constant hops back and forth between the buttons and the joystick. So you want to minimize the amount of movement necessary for the thumb to jump between the buttons and the joysticks.

So, because of the angle that the controller is typically held at, having the joystick sit towards the bottom of the controller and the buttons sit towards the top creates the minimal height difference necessary for frequent thumb movements between the buttons and the joystick. If it were the other way around (joystick on top, buttons on bottom of controller) then your thumb would not only have to shift on the Y-axis, but also much more on the Z-axis). On the left side of the controller, this isn't a problem since there is no thumb shifting, so the natural position that the thumb rests at makes the most sense.

This would probably be easier to explain with an image, but I hope you get my point.

I see where you're coming from, but this is my take on it:

--snip--

This would probably be easier to explain with an image, but I hope you get my point.

I also get where you're coming from - I partially had that figured out indeed. I get your point without a picture, so no worries :p

I guess at a certain level it all comes down to preference though and maybe minor differences in posture. My 'thumb-resting-position' is actually somewhere between the analog stick and the buttons/dpad.

Oh well, to each his own - I don't mind playing with both controllers and I'd surely like for one to come that's interchangeable O_o

I also get where you're coming from - I partially had that figured out indeed. I get your point without a picture, so no worries :p

I guess at a certain level it all comes down to preference though and maybe minor differences in posture. My 'thumb-resting-position' is actually somewhere between the analog stick and the buttons/dpad.

Oh well, to each his own - I don't mind playing with both controllers and I'd surely like for one to come that's interchangeable O_o

Yea, it definitely is all about preference. But I feel that the way the 360 controller is set up is the most ideal for the majority of people. Maybe 3rd party makers could incorporate different designs, but I'm not sure if it would have widespread appeal if they did.

how about you meet half way. you make the new PS controller very similar to how it is now but in the same shape, layout and size of the GameCube controller. That would please both.

This is a comfy controller.

It's a logitech wireless PS2 controller. I'd love it if I could make it work on my PS3 :(

B0001VNNE8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

^ True. I'd say the 360's d-pad is probably its only major shortcoming. But it's so rarely used that it is easily overlooked. :p

Street Fighter IV may change all that :(

Actually, that might be a good thing, my poor PS3 needs some new games. Have any release dates been confirmed?