Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista

JustGeorge

If the OS isn't going to do anything to increase productivity and reliability then its just good business sense. Personally, I run Vista Business x64 and like it very much, but TBO, it hasn't added much to my "experience" as Microsoft would call it other than eye candy. Previous Versions, Full image backups additional security and search functions are nice, but Big Corps like GM are going to be using Enterprise grade solutions in place of these anyway. Waiting for Windows 7 aka "Vista refined" is probably the way to go for most. When my friends ask if Vista is worth buying, I tell them its nice, list some of its features and then tell them to wait and get it with a new PC. Most of them want it cause its the newest thing out, not because its going to do anything for them that XP isn't doing already.

bobbytomorow

Thats just it, to me thats fine if an os requires more overhead, great...but I want something in exchange for it, sadly thats not the case with Vista, its a high overhead in exchange for what? Fancier looks? I could skin XP to look even better so big deal.

Brandon Live
Windows Seven a.k.a. Windows Vista Second Edition.

I am seriously baffled at how people can mock something they know nothing about. I mean seriously, all you know is its internal/working name. So where does this "a.k.a Windows Vista Second Edition" stuff come from?

zerologic

Ok. I think mocking Vista being an Epic Fail etc. is stupid.

Sure I felt a bit like that previously, but I learned from it.

I only posted this thread because I found the article interesting, not that I'm a Vista hater. Just to set the record straight.

+warwagon
Vista is Microsoft's epic fail.

I wish I could find that picture, where the guy is holding both hands out. in 1 hand he had a gun. I the other hand he had a box of bullets. The picture had the caption "You suck at life".

Anyway that sums that up.

As for the businesses that you say skip XP and go right to vista, I only have one question. Are these companies then replacing large quantities of workstations? Because if their current workstations are running a 1999 - 2000 operating system, they can hardly install vista on that type of hardware.

7Dash8
I am seriously baffled at how people can mock something they know nothing about. I mean seriously, all you know is its internal/working name. So where does this "a.k.a Windows Vista Second Edition" stuff come from?

Welcome to the Internet circa 2008, where every tard has an opinion, and they aren't afraid to voice it.

Somewhere some idiot started the whole "Vista is ME" thing, and ever since, there have been literally millions of empty-headed parrots who repeat this line because it's "FUNNY LOL!!!". Making fun of Vista is a hobby for people who don't actually understand anything about tech, like Mac users and 15 year olds. Just ignore it, and buckle down for more of the same when Windows Seven comes out "Windows 7 is Vista SP2 or Vista SE LOL!!".

x-byte

Is this really news? This have been the case since Windows 95/98. It have more to do with priorites and economy than the OS. It's quite normal for companies to skip a cycle.

Ignorance

zhangm
Ignorance

I think I said it before in another thread. You get Internet Points for hating Microsoft.

]SK[

I was unsure of Vista at first. Since using it at home though I have come to quite like it. Although running it on a single core CPU would be out of the question for me.

It's sort of reminded me of my 2000 to XP leap though. I hated XP but now it's rock solid and fast. Hopefully now Windows 2008 is starting to become more mainstream we might see more businesses start to use Vista.

randomnut

We fully tested vista to see how business ready Vista is and we're taking the same route. We've found that it's hardware requirements are too taxing, almost all of our client machines out there have 1gb ram which vista just does not run well on. We've also found that from an administration point of view it's a nightmare and the OS was just rushed and is still quite buggy.

If they can pull off something special with SP2 it might be a possibility but it's just not business ready. As a home os it's not *too* bad.

DerAusgewanderte

tsts, this is their problem and will be their problem when Windows 7 comes around. "their PCs don't even run Windows Vista". what does that mean? Their hardware is outdated. blame it on Microsoft. Sooner or later you have to upgrade to be able to run the most recent software and OS.

This article is clearly not about Windows Vista or not. It's about a company that needs to total system upgrade to replace their old junk that cannot even run Vista. Vista seems just a cover up.

Instead of making these silly points I suggest to go back to Windows 98. that's apparently what you deserve.

Here is what happens with some government places. First you replace all hardware to ensure minimum requirements are met. Then you roll out the new operating system. This is standard procedure. It's quite embarrassing to hear this bull from a big company like this.

tsts

Sirius

General Motors (GM) = wanke.rs :yes:

Vykranth

I am always flabbergasted when companies make global I.T. decisions on a product which is very very far from being finished and only a very few people have got their hands on.

Xenomorph

They wont update their software to work with Vista and they think it will work with Windows 7?

Windows 7 and everything after that will be based on Windows Vista. Better change stuff NOW.

XP is dead.

neufuse

Oh such huge news... we went from 95 to 98R2 (yes skipped the main version) skipped ME and went to W2K then skipped the first SP of XP and went to XP SP2 at work... companies skip revisions all the time... you know how much time it takes to roll out a new version? every other version is a common trend in companies

Neil
They wont update their software to work with Vista and they think it will work with Windows 7?

Windows 7 and everything after that will be based on Windows Vista. Better change stuff NOW.

XP is dead.

XP is far from dead for businesses it is supported to 2014, and the hardware requirements for Vista is to much to make it cost effective.

Most companies work on a if it is not broken don't fix it.

+Dick Montage

So, to sum up:

General Motors are on a technology refresh cycle that doesn't tie in with the Microsoft release schedule.

Wow! ZOMG! !!!!!11111 One!

cork1958

XP is dead.

What is the need to upgrade to Vista when XP does everything they need. Common sense would tell you there's no reason to spend a gazillion dollars on new computers then.

Besides, haven't you heard how bad the economy and the auto industry are doing? Now they have 2 reasons not to upgrade.

Besides the fact of Vista being more like a Me version!

7Dash8
So, to sum up:

General Motors are on a technology refresh cycle that doesn't tie in with the Microsoft release schedule.

Wow! ZOMG! !!!!!11111 One!

Yeah but that's the logical way to look at it. You're spoiling the fun for people who want to bash Vista if you put it that way...

Laura

The IT decisions large companies make really has no bearing on those that home users might make. It's a completely different ball game and says little about the OS. I think a lot of the problems Vista has is that it didn't live up to the infinite levels of hype and unrealistic expectations. Maybe that's MS's fault but I'd also be tempted to blame a lot of users who expected it to also wash the dishes for them.

Another thing, I think that they made a lot of changes, so there is little back compatibility with XP? Is that right? If so, they did it in order to move forward and make progress toward a modern system. Naturally this will make it harder to switch over. But people seem to expect the brand new Vista to be all new and different and do fancy things, while being the same as XP for hardware and software compatibility :blink:

I won't deny that Vista has heavier system requirements than XP, but XP had heavier system requirements than 98 or 2000 did, and was also greeted with the same warm reception that Vista has gotten. The only difference is that Microsoft dropped support for 98 and 2000 and that scared a lot of companies over to XP, and that is what it's going to take to get companies to switch to Vista or even Windows Seven.

What confuses me is that people expect a fancy new system wtih extra features, but without greater hardware requirements. Am I the only person who finds that irrational? I guess it's just bashing for the sake of it.

People don't complain about the latest games requiring more graphics processing more etc so why the complaints about an OS? Also, hardware is getting cheaper all the time. In a year or two it won't cost all that much to build a system that can run Vista well.

XP is dead.

It wasn't that company but the people they buy the software from that haven't upgraded, although I'm sure they will if they want to stay in business.

+Dick Montage
Besides the fact of Vista being more like a Me version!

Go lookup the word "fact", I think you confused it with "opinion"...

DrewJW

While I have little issues regarding Vista X64 I will say from a business point of view I see little reason to move to Vista.

1) They most certainly are not bothered about a prettier GUI

2) They have no interest in DX10

3) They certainly don't fancy the cost

4) They don't like how Bitlocker is a Ultimate extra and isn't included in Business

I could go on, but for the average user Vista is OK, I game alot and I like Crysis so Crysis 64bit in DX10 is lovely, for those who enjoy older games, and those whom are set up and familiar with their systems then wait for Windows Seven, Vista isn't all that.

Pierreken
While I have little issues regarding Vista X64 I will say from a business point of view I see little reason to move to Vista.

1) They most certainly are not bothered about a prettier GUI

2) They have no interest in DX10

3) They certainly don't fancy the cost

4) They don't like how Bitlocker is a Ultimate extra and isn't included in Business

I could go on, but for the average user Vista is OK, I game alot and I like Crysis so Crysis 64bit in DX10 is lovely, for those who enjoy older games, and those whom are set up and familiar with their systems then wait for Windows Seven, Vista isn't all that.

Exactly! There is no reason for them to upgrade at all. It's not like they have to test their software on the new OS, or that they have updated their business applications and it's only supported on Vista all of the sudden...

even for my own use at home I don't see significant changes that will convince me to upgrade. I've tested the OS several times (and I still do as part of my job) and the only reason I see why "I" would make the step is just "to follow"...

On my Home Theater PC at home I used to have Vista (I liked the Media Center in it) but then I also started using it as a home-work PC (got rid of my other PC) and it just became too frustrating. It's not designed for business (that's my opinion for those of you waiting to jump in...) so I went back to Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and would never return to Vista again (Although knowing myself I'll probably try again when a new SP comes out...).

7Dash8

Vista is more than a pretty GUI and DX10. Go read about all the enhancements under the hood. The kiddies love to crap on about how Vista is all fancy graphics and no substance, because they don't understand anything beyond what they see. XP had exactly the same criticisms, people saying that Windows 2000 was much better because XP's eye candy was slowing everything down (yes, we had tards back in 2002 as well...)

Basically one major reason for businesses to upgrade to Vista would be the greatly enhanced security and stability. Vista is far harder to destabilize, and even if you do throw a crap program at it, it can recover your session without locking up tight like XP. Imagine how much work is lost in total in a company when people get a lockup and/or reboot and lose whatever it is they were currently working on.

So if nothing else, if your business doesn't value enhanced security and stability then go ahead and keep XP and spent more hours fixing problems instead of preventing them.

DELTETHISACCOUNT

^ I second that.

It's not about what you can do with Vista. It's about what Vista is doing for you. People really have no idea how much this OS is really doing for the user in the background.