Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista

NEVER85
Wow Vista users sure go out of their way to defend a product they don't even have a financial stake in (As in no microsoft stock). Seriously we get it, you bought Vista and don't think its horrible, obviously a ton of other users do... deal with it. I mean honestly its not like people that dislike Vista are attacking you personally so just be happy with your purchase and stop trying to justify it.

Just like some go out of their way to disparage a product they don't have a stake in. We get it, you don't like Vista. Stick with Windows eXPired and stop trying to justify your own actions in sticking with an old OS.

Aaron Olive

am i the only person that likes vista because i find that on my low end laptop runs vista fine

Stats:

Acer Aspire 5100

Amd Turion 64 @ 2.00Ghz

Crucial Ram : 2x 1Gb @ 667 Mhz

Vista Ultimate SP1 32Bit

Eric
In what way. We didn't buy Vista because we didn't like it. The cheerleaders are the ones that buy it and defend it like it's their own child.

Get a life I say.

Got a mirror? Why are you wasting your time slagging something you don't like and don't even use? ;)

gadean

My company discussed this exact topic not too long ago. We decided hands down to skip Vista because of its high hardware requirements. Great operating system (dare I say it?!) but horrible on resources. In our domain we use Credant (file-based encryption) amongst several of other security tools which suck up a lot of resources on each pc. Throw Vista in the mix and you've got yourself a computer that simply crawls. Performing an OS *and* hardware roll-out offers little benefit (feature-wise) to us right now. Instead, we spent our budget on tighter security and monitoring software.

Raa

Great move tbh.

ANova
Got a mirror? Why are you wasting your time slagging something you don't like and don't even use? ;)

Have you seen me in this thread before the last comment? All I said was that I don't care for it. Do you just gloss over the 9 pages of cheerleading and personal attacks against anyone that doesn't love Vista?

I really don't get the corporate love for a company that just wants you to spend money on their products.

You are right though, this is just a big waste of time.

dead.cell
In what way. We didn't buy Vista because we didn't like it. The cheerleaders are the ones that buy it and defend it like it's their own child.

Get a life I say.

Let's not forget the whiners who bitch and complain no matter what the story is. Whether it's something given to them for free, whether the product is a substantial improvement, or whatever, they always seem to find their way on here to bring up repetitive nonsense simply because they don't like a company. Loving the company is just the same as hating a company because at the end of the day, no matter what anyone says, they've still got their head up their ass refusing to listen to anyone who's opinion differs from their own.

These people also need to "get a life".

non.sequitur
It is better than Windows ME. :x

You got that right. But it's bad for different reasons.

waruikoohii
Well according to Steams regularly updated hardware survey 80% of gamers out of 1.7 million hardware scans are still using XP. Go to any builders forum like NCIX's and post a Vista thread and you will see that the general consensus amongst builders\enthusiasts is that Vista is less than stellar. You act like I'm just one person making this up out of a personal vendetta against Vista, I use two different versions of Vista and I agree that its a lousy os especially after a 6 year stint using the same os, Vista comes along and offers nothing that we can't do with XP and at a cost of high overhead.

It's doing better with the gaming crowd than I expected, then. 14.96% is pretty good considering how old it is.

DrunkenMaster
This Vista issue should end. A number of posts claim that "most" people hate Vista. Now, let me ask you this. If "most" people hate Vista, why did the Neowin community vote Vista as their #1 OS?

Not being critical, as I don't usually read Windows-related threads (hint: current Windows box is a P3-600), where is the poll?

You should realize, this has a lot to do with the question, number of people who answered and if Vista users were more likely to answer (where the question is a factor).

solardog
Wow Vista users sure go out of their way to defend a product they don't even have a financial stake in (As in no microsoft stock). Seriously we get it, you bought Vista and don't think its horrible, obviously a ton of other users do... deal with it. I mean honestly its not like people that dislike Vista are attacking you personally so just be happy with your purchase and stop trying to justify it.

The exact opposite is true.

Eric
Not being critical, as I don't usually read Windows-related threads (hint: current Windows box is a P3-600), where is the poll?

You should realize, this has a lot to do with the question, number of people who answered and if Vista users were more likely to answer (where the question is a factor).

The poll is at the top right of the front page.

TheNay

That's true for most people, however I had no issues at all with ME and loved it over 98SE... lol

I was one of the few who didn't have issues with it at all, many knock me when I say it too, haha

To me Vista is XP's ugly sister with a polished face and too much makeup ;)

Windam
That's true for most people, however I had no issues at all with ME and loved it over 98SE... lol

I was one of the few who didn't have issues with it at all, many knock me when I say it too, haha

To me Vista is XP's ugly sister with a polished face and too much makeup ;)

That's a good to hear

Most people will be blind about their own experience and shove someone else's fiasco to criticize an OS.

Ferret

I'm not supprised either - But will they upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released ?

x-byte

And? what stone did you crawl out from? It's exactly the opposite.

NEVER85
That's a good to hear

Most people will be blind about their own experience and shove someone else's fiasco to criticize an OS.

Like many people now do with Vista.

rimvyd

Well here many of you mix things between home and corporate user.

As home user:

First operating system i got may hands on was old good win 3.1. It was really big jump from Dos. Even bigger was 3.1 to 95, graphical interface, etc. However, there was 98... Well i had to skip it and wait for update, which was 98se, because of numerous bugs in initial 98 version. Later there was win me, that I tried and I was forced either downgrade back to 98se or move to almost completely different NT family system.

So after two long weeks adopting to win2000 security mechanism, solving driver issues, etc. I managed to get fully working system, even now I use it at my work computer. I never seen such stability (well FreeBSD looks better anyway ;) ).

Then there was Win XP that also skipped for stability and driver issues (couldn't find fully working drivers for my older hardware like Trio3D2X AGP video card) and waited for sp1 that i happily used after my pc upgrade.

Well sp2 brought some new features and fixed many bugs, while sp3 mostly is security updates (where is compatibility for DirectX10???, aero inteface???, maybe someone forgot to include them in final sp3? :D )

Or it's possible that it was marketing trick to force users into new system.

Don't get my wrong, that I hate Vista. I like how Vista looks and i use it on my portable computer in VMware from linux, runs like a pro :) . Like with XP, I skipped initial buggy Vista, but sp1 well... haven't brought many features and didn't fixed many bugs as I wanted, so for may home computer i still use Win XP with modified sp3 to fit my programing and remote usage needs.

As for corporate users:

I don't see reason to upgrade, because win xp and even older system do the job and there is no need to train staff to use new system and more over to spend money on new hardware that would require upgrade again when moving in windows 7. As for new portable computers Vista is quite good because it has better energy management and extends work time. But in my opinion, it doesn't fit the requirements to be used by corporate users.

As for game station:

Well, Computer games are fun, but if with every new game you have to upgrade you video card to run it smoothly, i don't now... :huh:

I think much better solution is for example PS3 (games, multimedia, blueray).

Personally I enjoy PSP :laugh:

In my opinion, GM made a clever move and saved much money, that now they can invest in buying other software.

Edited by rimvyd
I am Not PCyr

i enjoy these topics :)

the international hotel chain that i work for and that I am a computer consultant

also has NO plans of moving to Vista at any time..

what would i say to convince my business it needs vista when xp is running fine ?

i can't think of anything at all.

maybe ill tell them so they can experience the WOW effect LOLOL

like the guy said earlier on the steam hardware survey

i too would have been counted as an XP user too

i dropped about 10 fps on my CSS copying the exact configs / install over to vista

what was it that guy said earlier ? something about playing old games ?

the source engine still gets updated..

i see this as a pretty bad situation no matter what the vista fanboys

are gonna get upset and defensive and try and trash on xp

and its microsoft fault for putting out a mediocre bloated OS

whith my coding experience it seems to me that they just

kept tacking stuff on and there was little or no concern about performance

and that mentality is ALL over the world and it only ever gets worse

so i think this vista issue is a symptom of a larger picture..

POOR Programming !

The very concept of a computer is to compute right ?

so why has it become acceptable to code bloated steaming piles of crap called software ?

Shouldn't the priority be to make good use of your resources ?

Reminds me of all the gas sucking SUV's on the road and the rising cost of gas..

this bloated fat pig logic will have an end, but i guess it will get worse before better

Am i insane or was Symantec Norton Products the most popular security software for years ?

How many of you USE to use them ?

ANd how many of you stopped because of the sheer bloat of pathetic coding / design ?

Symantec's crap is far from the best nowadays isnt it ;)

What do we see everywhere ? "Use Nod32 its the best for memory footprint / resources etc"

By the way this was typed on my obsolete OS :rolleyes:

macf13nd

i just can't believe this discussion is carrying on. The situation is painfully obvious.

1) The current system works.

2) It is horrifyingly expensive to roll-out a new OS, especially given the size of the company. Training costs and the man hours involved exacerbate this.

3) It is equally horrifying having to spend all that money on new hardware as well.

That's it. Why would you spend a huge amount of money, in order to create problems for yourself (i.e. older bespoke software that isn't designed to run on anything other than their current OS, end-users being allergic to change)?

Whilst this *is* news, as GM is a large company and ==> provides a useful talking point to illustrate companies' computer cycles, that's about as far as it goes.

They are NOT failing to upgrade because (waaaaaah wah wah) Vi$ta Fails..!11oneone <insert current forum trend word here>. They just aren't upgrading because at this moment in time, financially and practically, to upgrade would be pointless.

:cool:

.tony

Why is it people always bash Windows.

Windows ME worked perfectly fine for me, and so did Vista for the brief time I had it (Pre-RTM).

Vista is a solid OS.

Sure, it didn't offer as much as what was promised (Longhorn), but how many people who use computers know that?

Yet they continue to bash Vista when it works perfectly fine (and even better from what I hear, with the release of SP1).

DrewJW

Someone liked Windows ME1 Oo it was so far past crap land that it hit the Cheeky Girls!

siiix

this is why i called it from the getgo VistaMe :)

its a truly bad os, might not as bad as ME was AND not for the same reasons... but its still really bad

note i have it on the kids computer and in the guest room... thats all what its good for :p

edit:

ME and Vista have in common they main goal was to make the previous OS more user friendly and visually stunning (compared to the previous version)

let me put it this way ME was unstable in several ways, the visual enhancements where minor IMO

vista on the other hand is very stable, my main problem is that they went waaaay over board with the user friendly, Vista is designed for the kid, the clueless and the dump user in mind, BUT unlike previous version currently there is no way to disable ALL this "userfriendly-ness" that is not only making the OS slow but the even remotely advanced users life hell

its not installing a new piece of hardware i have a problem with NOOOOO its simple stuff like deleting a file (just an example) ... did MS really think we need to make the simplest task NO ONE EVER had a problem with more user friendly ?! how dumb MS thinks the end users actually are ?!

besides DX10 there is absolute NO advantage of Vista against XP, but it is slower and more annoying (note i did not say complex, i said ANNOYING)

Edited by siiix
DrewJW

I can't call Vista as bad as ME, that is wrong in my view, it's not a superb OS by any means, I would call it a average effort to improve on XP.

Neil

Just got an email today, were not going to be upgrading our Windows machines, due to hardware requirements and "other issues".