Policy regarding OS X on non-Apple Hardware

Bring back the Keyboard Power Key I say to start OSX only

That was removed when Apple started following the USB standard instead of having a psudo-compliant device. Though it is missed, I hope it doesn't return as it hints to the days where Apple didn't follow standards. :)

it's is actually possible to install an unmodified version of os x on a pc. so stop going all "hacking" and "modifying" because it's not like that. the thing can run on a PC just fine. the trick is how you let os x to communicate with the pc.

it's is actually possible to install an unmodified version of os x on a pc. so stop going all "hacking" and "modifying" because it's not like that. the thing can run on a PC just fine. the trick is how you let os x to communicate with the pc.

Just for the record. ;)

3. To jury-rig or improvise something inelegant but effective, usually as a temporary solution to a problem. See noun sense 2.

I don't know if I would even if I wanted to, there just doesn't seem right, theres the hassle of configuring the system and windows/linux just seems to suit a self made tower better

I have both OSX and XP on two different machines

It can run, but functionality is the key part you're missing. Drivers.

Finally :rolleyes:

Was a silly decision in the first place, as Apple even had this on their discussion boards and they were not deleting the threads. I even proved it to a mod, but it was like talking to a an Indian tech support person...

About time! I asked why Windows can be installed on a Mac, but OSX can't be installed on Windows.. and that thread was locked faster then anyone could reply :p

Now I can finally get my answer :D

This is not that relevant, but many college students can get both Windows and Apple Operating Systems for free (or at a discount price). I mean, I would find it fun to just play around with OS X when I can get the CD for free. Saving for a macbook pro anyways. :)

Finally :rolleyes:

Was a silly decision in the first place, as Apple even had this on their discussion boards and they were not deleting the threads. I even proved it to a mod, but it was like talking to a an Indian tech support person...

Not true. They lock or delete threads when the moderating team finds them.

Example... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1282871

I'm a little uncertain about this, despite the fact that it might help Apple in general. On the one hand, you can now have OSX on your PC, which will certainly help others understand how it stacks up to Windows and Linux. On the other hand, it does open a can of worms in a sense that though you could install it on your PC, finding drivers that work is another problem. The reason why OS X has been so successful is that it has been tested rigorously with specific hardware to ensure stability. By installing OS X on a non OS X machine, you're liable to find that it won't perform as well as it should.

I have known about the OSX86 project for quite a long time through a few known sources. From what I can see, my notebook would be able to run OS X but would do so in a reduced manner. Because of this, I have never felt the need to do so, even now when Neowin has allowed it. Unless someone releases a whole lot of drivers for my Ethernet card, my display driver and so on and so forth, it will be quite a while before OS X is on my notebook. Then again, if this does open up, it might mean more people would be interested in it and those with certain knowledge will be able to code drivers for incompatible hardware. Again, this is all my thoughts and views so bear with me on that.

I will say that it is a positive outlook, to say the least. Mac OS X is a good OS and I see no reason why it should be limited to a single platform. I mean, aren't we all created equally, so why shouldn't we all play fairly and get together? It might solve all problems that are causing havoc in this world :p !

So my final answer is that I like the decision, but it won't affect me as I already have a Mac at home and at work :laugh: !

Scirwode

Just a comment about the piracy: I don't understand why there is such a big fuss about "OS X piracy" made by the community as opposed to other software being pirated. I mean, Windows or other applications, it's like no big deal but "don't f*** with OS X"?! :huh:

Honestly, I sit here and wonder sometimes how in God's name so many little 12 or 13 year olds can afford the Adobe creative suites...

Anyhow...

I think this is a good move for Neowin and Apple. There's a community out there dedicated to this which will be able to have a place to actually discuss these topics. As for Apple, there are many more potential buyers. I mean, let's face it: the experience is only going to be so good running software on hardware it wasn't originally intended to run on. And if people can enjoy it that much, it'll only be better running the software on an actual Mac.

Great!

Thanks!

Am I allowed to write a guide then post it here on how to get Mac Leopard 10.5.2 installed on a 'windows-based' PC? And then on a how to make a multi-boot with a few other OSs using Vista's own boot manager?

If so please tell me!

Panarchy

I, for one, think this is a fine decision. Personally, I wont be helping many people who run OSx86, but not because of the possibility of piracy. <snip> I wont be helping simply because I don't know enough about it. OSx86 is the reason I'm on a Macbook Pro right now. I installed it on my Toshiba, and loved OSX. Instead of paying 100 bucks for a copy of OSX, I paid the price for an MBP.

As for Neowin, I think it's a good thing they're selecting certain aspects of EULA's enforce on here. They're not just randomly picking them. They have started out by enforcing the entire EULA out of ignorance, ato nd as they research case-law, they are tossing out aspects of certain EULA's to enforce as rules. I'm not saying the Neowin staff is ignorant, because I sure as heck didn't know about that appeals court ruling. I think this is good to help the community grow.

Edited by bmaher
OSX on Non-Apple hardware is allowed, Piracy is not.

It has been said before but i too disagree with the way this is being implemented.

I myself experienced osx86 for a few months when i had already set it on my mind to buy a mac. i think it is a perfect stepping stone in one's transition.

On the other hand neowin's policy is completely contradictory. i dont see why you will allow osx system files to be modified when cracking windows is esentially to modify the system files. effectively this should mean that if i have original windows media (regardless of whether i have a cd-key or not), on neowin I am allowed to request for help on by-passing the activation process. I am not satisfied at all with the answers by mods so far.

It has been said before but i too disagree with the way this is being implemented.

I myself experienced osx86 for a few months when i had already set it on my mind to buy a mac. i think it is a perfect stepping stone in one's transition.

On the other hand neowin's policy is completely contradictory. i dont see why you will allow osx system files to be modified when cracking windows is esentially to modify the system files. effectively this should mean that if i have original windows media (regardless of whether i have a cd-key or not), on neowin I am allowed to request for help on by-passing the activation process. I am not satisfied at all with the answers by mods so far.

God do you even bother to read?

OSX doesnt have any copy protection or activation, you arent cracking OSX, you arent modifying the system files to bypass any sort of security or serial number to allow you to run OSX, you are simply modifying the files to allow it to run on non-apple hardware.

God do you even bother to read?

OSX doesnt have any copy protection or activation, you arent cracking OSX, you arent modifying the system files to bypass any sort of security or serial number to allow you to run OSX, you are simply modifying the files to allow it to run on non-apple hardware.

At what point did he mention OS X activation? :blink:

Great!

Thanks!

Am I allowed to write a guide then post it here on how to get Mac Leopard 10.5.2 installed on a 'windows-based' PC? And then on a how to make a multi-boot with a few other OSs using Vista's own boot manager?

If so please tell me!

Panarchy

As long as you don't post any links to the installation files, or possibly even mention them. You should be fine.

Just say get yourself a Mac Installation disk. Most people would know what you're talking about, without having you explicitly state it.

Well. If someone runs windows you dont know if its legal or illegal. With OSX86 you KNOW he has an illegal copy, unless he happens to be a apple developer, but i dont think they are on this forum.

Because if i said that i have (had, back to xp anyways) a illegal version of Vista i am warned :(

<<<

So, according to Neowin obtain a version of OSX illegally is not against the rules, but obtain a version of Windows is. Hmm, maybe the mods are MS employees? :( :p

Well. If someone runs windows you dont know if its legal or illegal. With OSX86 you KNOW he has an illegal copy, unless he happens to be a apple developer, but i dont think they are on this forum.

They are. Disguised in a woman. ;)

Because if i said that i have (had, back to xp anyways) a illegal version of Vista i am warned :(

<<<

So, according to Neowin obtain a version of OSX illegally is not against the rules, but obtain a version of Windows is. Hmm, maybe the mods are MS employees? :( :p

How do you KNOW a person running OSx86 is running an illegal copy? I can do down to my local computer retailer right now, buy a copy of OSX, take it home and install it on my PC (after a bit of file modding) if I wanted to. All without breaking a single law.

Neowin are NOT saying it's OK to pirate OSX, but not Windows. They're saying it's NOT OK to pirate ANY software.

Neowin are NOT saying it's OK to pirate OSX, but not Windows. They're saying it's NOT OK to pirate ANY software.

ya, some people in here seem to not understand how this works.

What are you doing that requires a particular kernel architecture?

Hello timdorr

I have no real answer for your question other then tickless has been good for the general kernel design I would venture to say, and I am a hardware enthusiast on some levels so that makes the mere fact of the kernel design change interesting to me in itself.

As an enthusiast no any particular application was involved or even envisaged. So.... here is a "netscape" answer for us.