Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

I presume they ignore gamers, because most games generally require Windows. Whilst they probably don't mind selling Mac hardware and having users use Windows on their systems, I can't imagine they'd overly encourage it.

It's true Apple make most money from hardware, but the charm of Macintosh (and recently iPhone and iPod) is of course the seamless link between hardware and software.

• 3 weeks later...
[...] there is more money to be made from "switchers" than from gamers.

I don't think so.

Probably equal, or the opposite IMO. I'm always seeing people who don't switch because of the average graphics hardware.

Slowly, they are adopting better graphics cards though. It should have been a 8600 in the iMac, and an integrated graphics card in the MacBook.

Now, they want to adopt more stuff from nVidia for the upcoming Mac Mini, which should be a wonderful cheap Mac machine to game on, and the same goes for the iMac. I can only hope they will choose a high-end graphics card for the iMac once for all.

Something interesting I picked up while watching
Apple WWDC 2005: Steve mentions that "OS X has set up Apple for the next 20 years" hmm so no OS 11 any time soon I guess...

I don't think he meant it so literally. The kind of potential inherent in OS X provides quite a foundation on which to build. Or, we could also say that the design concepts, the deep - almost maddeningly detailed attention to certain part of the OS, has set the tone for Apple's direction.

The second one is actually 10.1..... :p

See?

It would have to be 10.9.1/10.9.2/etc

Till they hit 11.

No. 10.90 is totally different from 10.9.

10 is the system number. (OS 8, OS 9, OS 10). The numbers after is the revision and it's not limited to just 9 revisions.

People thought that 10.4.9 would be the last update for Tiger, but they went to 10.4.11.

• 1 month later...

Some leaks from MacRumors (not my screenshots)

Activity Monitor, showing 64-bit love and 1px borders.

activity.png

Revamped Audio Midi Setup, now as Audio Devices.

AM1.png

AM2.png

Text clippings now copy/paste and quick look.

clipping.png

clipping2.png

64-bit kext/drivers love.

kexts.png

Preview, with new bottom toolbar and annotate settings.

preview.png

preview2.png

preview3.png

Printer driver downloads.

printer.png

Revamped Keyboard Shortcuts editor and a new Services editor.

services.png

Stacks can browse through folders now. (notice the scroll bar to the right, not sure why it's on the desktop though)

stacks.png

New text settings. Smart quotes, text replacement, and font activation.

text.png

Correctly detects TVs

tv%20res.png

Volume in use by..

volume.png

NTFS write.

ntfs1.png

ntfs2.png

Snow Leopard is shaping up nicely. Writeable NTFS, awesome. Browsable Stacks, awesome. Icon resize slider in Finder, awesome. Services management, awesome. Put Back, awesome.

They couldnt do 10.10 as people would get confused with 10.1

I completely understand what you mean. I was really confused back in the day with "ATI Catalyst version 3.10" while version 3.1 was already out.

BUT, 10.1 will be so old if/when 10.10 is out that nobody will confuse it, trust me.

And like giga said, these 10.4.10 and up releases didn't confuse anyone. I get your point though, a proper versioning system wouldn't be like this.

NTFS Write! Excellent!!

Damn, are you serious? I mean, I already have it because I installed a third-party plugin, but if it's native when I install OS X, it'll be nice! Read & Write for ZFS, HFS, NTFS and FAT32. Windows-friendly and Mac-friendly. Nice ! :D

Features in Snow Leopard?

I would barely call these features, but they certainly bring Leopard closer to perfection by adding little tidbits here and there. Makes me happy too :D