Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

10A286 seeded.

Build 10A286 packs three main important changes. Build 10A286 of Snow Leopard is said to contain a new QuickTime with a "minimal UI", in addition the Finder has now been replaced with a Cocoa version and finally Safari 4 Beta is now included in the build.

The accompanying notes also pointed towards a major shift to 64-bit, with all developers being encouraged to run Mac OS X Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode.

New Content

This seed contains some major new changes in the following areas:

QuickTime Player

The new QuickTime Player has a new minimal UI and is focused on playback.

Finder

Finder includes a new Cocoa Desktop, Info Window and Contextual Menu

Safari

Safari 4 beta is included in the seed as the default browser.

Known Issues

* Remote Installs over Airport may cause panics (A workaround is to install via Ethernet or DVD.)

* Booting from the install DVD can take a long time

* Some settings are not migrated from the previous system when upgrading, including file sharing, sharing name and energy saver settings.

* Finder issues: Icon previews will not appear on the Desktop, selecting Clean Up does not change icon placement on the Desktop. Sometimes the Finder and Desktop will stop responding to input. A workaround is to restart Finder.

* iTunes will sometimes lock up when an iPhone is connected. A workaround is to rename or delete ~/Library/Lockdown)

* Microsoft Office 2004 applications can hang when using the File->Open menu. A workaround is to open the file by opening it in Finder.)

* On newer MacBook Pros, the screen's backlight will not come on when booting into the installer if the brightness is set below 6.

* Hibernation is not working on machines with Nvidia graphics cards and will result in a frozen machine.

* The Time Machine UI cannot be activated in Finder and Mail in some cases.

* The linker creates a bad image when the minimum OS target is set to Mac OS X 10.5 and weak external symbols are used. (A workaround is to set Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.6 as the minimum OS target.)

* Xcode often crashes when navigating in documentation using the navigation buttons.

* We do not recommended installing this seed on the Nehalem Mac Pros.

any picture giga? :rolleyes:

pictures of beta OSX are always very hard to come by for some reason, we most likely will have to wait a bit before we can get some

pictures of beta OSX are always very hard to come by for some reason, we most likely will have to wait a bit before we can get some

ok thanks Rudy!

Sorry if this is off topic but i was watching videos from 2000 and steve jobs said that Mac OS X is going to be here for the next decade. If a decade is 10 years... wouldn't Mac OS X Snow Leopard be the last version of Mac OS X?

^ if they were doing that, i think it would make better sense to do it when the first Mac OS 10.1 thing came out. awkward to cut it off at 10.6

Sorry if this is off topic but i was watching videos from 2000 and steve jobs said that Mac OS X is going to be here for the next decade. If a decade is 10 years... wouldn't Mac OS X Snow Leopard be the last version of Mac OS X?

I've heard him say that again in 2006. I think what Steve means is OS X is a very strong foundation for years and years to come. I really think they will only put it to bed when they can no longer keep it up to date with the rest of the industry.

Apple have made a great decision by focusing on Performance with Snow Leopard. It shows that they see this platform being around for a very long time.

The new Quicktime UI is interesting. But the Aqua Window Conrols look ridiculous on the HUD titlebar. This also legitimizes Pixelmator document windows.

The new Quicktime UI is interesting. But the Aqua Window Conrols look ridiculous on the HUD titlebar. This also legitimizes Pixelmator document windows.

According to AppleInsider, that title bar will disappear with the embedded player controls after a few seconds, so it's only there to act as a temporary border.

According to AppleInsider, that title bar will disappear with the embedded player controls after a few seconds, so it's only there to act as a temporary border.

It may be temporary but it should looke good while showing.

Chances are it will look more polished in the final release, although I don't care for a Quick Look-like window in QuickTime all the time. :/

Oh yeah, I'll be surprised if they leave that thick black semi-transparent border at the top of the window. Not that it reminds me of anything that failed (ahem) but it just looks ugly, as well as pointless.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03...n_pipeline.html

According to people familiar with the matter, Apple's roadmap for the final stretch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard development currently calls for the release of three 'key' builds through the company's high-membership Apple Developer Connection.

Each of the builds will carry a significance in its own right, the first of which is scheduled to appear between now and the start of WWDC 2009 during the second week of June. This build will reportedly include "big updates" to system components and functionality.

The next build is said to arrive alongside the start of WWDC on June 8th. It's expected to be the first build of the next-gen OS that will be "feature complete," bundling significant changes to the Mac OS X interface, assuming those changes are not approved for inclusion in the aforementioned build.

A third and final build is tentatively scheduled to make its way to developers in the weeks between WWDC and the software's formal release. This build is expected to serve as a lead-in to the final candidate stage that precedes the declaration of a Gold Master build suited for duplication on optical media.

People familiar with the matter have previously estimate that it will take Apple upwards of two-months from the time it shows off a feature complete Snow Leopard at WWDC to deliver the software to market, suggesting a release date around August.

Apple may also choose to seed more marginal builds intermittently between these key builds if it runs into unexpected issues and requires additional feedback from developers.

snowleopardroadmap-090331.gif

I've heard him say that again in 2006. I think what Steve means is OS X is a very strong foundation for years and years to come. I really think they will only put it to bed when they can no longer keep it up to date with the rest of the industry.

It's rare for a company to completely throw out their entire platform, Unless it's got large amounts of fundamental flaws.

MS are still using NT and looks like they'll be using it for years to come, I can't see a difference with Apple and OS X.

Apple's Newest Snow Leopard (10A314) Shows Steady Improvements

Apple seeded developers with the latest build (10A314) of Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) today. The latest beta version of Snow Leopard is said to be more stable than previous builds. Specifically, QuickTime X is said to have made significant strides since the previous version.

Apple, however, has not yet deployed the "Marble" user interface changes that have been rumored for Snow Leopard.

An exact release date for Snow Leopard has not been established , though recent rumors have suggested it could be as late as September. Apple will likely make further announcements and demos of Snow Leopard at the World Wide Developer's Conference in June.

Source: Mac Rumors