Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Source: Mac Rumors

Interesting that they want developers to test their drivers and so forth; so the core of the operating system must be feature complete already, so it is now just a matter of getting those user visible things working such as the new gui.

• 1 month later...

Finder thumbnail resizing, new stacks, screenshots with better file naming, new keyboard shortcuts prefs/services editing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEGVFArP9yU&fmt=22

Preference to set "search current folder" as default: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uIh1IU-FY&fmt=22

Quicktime 10 with Benny Lava: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb4SrJwDmp4&fmt=22

Spaces assigning/moving with the dock, substitutions, smart quotes, smart dashes, text replacement, etc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddl2Uvko1Hg&fmt=22

Edit: Links are dead. Mirror: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/96085/SL.zip

Edited by giga

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Some really nice refinements: http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/ and http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/en...efinements.html

People are going to be pretty happy for just $29.

overlay_stacks_01_20090608.jpg

Those dock things and the previewish stuff really look like Apple copied them from Microsoft to be honest. Their implementation is nice though, just doesn't fit in with the way Windows works.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Lot of little fixes and well refinements that make it much more complete and better. Definitely worth more than 30 bucks imo. Few of my favorites;

Change search locations.

Change the default behavior of Spotlight to have it search the currently selected folder or your most recent search location.

Rewritten for Snow Leopard.

The Finder has been completely rewritten using Cocoa to take advantage of the new technologies in Snow Leopard, including 64-bit support and Grand Central Dispatch. It?s more responsive from top to bottom, with snappier performance throughout the FinderMore reliable disk eject.b>

Snow Leopard makes ejecting external drives more reliable. Core system services such as Spotlight indexing and file system events will intelligently stop their work so you can remove your drive. And improved dialogs tell you which applications are using the drive so you know what to close in order to safely disconnect your drive.Faster shutdown and wake-up.b>

Snow Leopard is up to 75 percent faster when shutting down, twice as fast when waking from sleep with screen locking enabled, and up to 55 percent faster at joining wireless networks.HFS+ read support in Boot Camp.b>

Boot Camp now includes HFS+ read support that enables you to access the files on your Mac OS X partition from Windows. It?s read-only to prevent PC viruses from affecting Mac OS X, but you can easily save your work to your Windows partition and access it later from Mac OS Automatically show past conversations.

If you save your chat transcripts, you can configure iChat to automatically show the last 5, 25, 100, or 250 messages you exchanged with someone whenever you reopen a chat with that buddResistant to crashes.

Safari 4 in Snow Leopard is more resistant to crashes. Browser plug-ins are the number one cause of crashes in Mac OS X, so they now run in a separate process. If a plug-in crashes, the content stops working but Safari continues to run. Just reload the page to resume using the plug-iHigher-quality image scaling.

The Adjust Image Size command in Preview uses the advanced Lanczos interpolation algorithm to provide higher-quality scaling with fewer blurry artifacts compared with traditional interpolation algorithmFaster, more responsive Mail.

Mail now handles all your mail more quickly. It?s 85 percent faster to open your first viewable message, 3.5x faster to list the contents of a mailbox, 90 percent faster to search, and 2.3x faster to move messages.

Edited by Xero

Not going to complain about $29. But come on people, where is this new "UI refresh"?

Although I have to say, again, for $29 dollars, I wouldn't cry if it never came...

Not going to complain about $29. But come on people, where is this new "UI refresh"?

Although I have to say, again, for $29 dollars, I wouldn't cry if it never came...

Wasn't that only a rumour? People seem to think alot of rumours.

Thrilled with the price... I was going to balk at a $129 upgrade but they got pushed it right into being a no brainer for $29 :)

Thanks Apple! :)

Wasn't that only a rumour? People seem to think alot of rumours.

For just a rumor, people wrote pretty extensive articles about it :/

Anyways, I'm not complaining.

here is an odd one at the Apple.com site:

Notice the AMD Logo

nvida_amd_intel_20090608.jpg

Guess who owns ATI these days.

Yea I think its just because of the ATI video cards they use. I'm a little annoyed at the 29 price point. I think its worth more than than but I suppose I can't complain :laugh: I just want it now though! Here's hoping the new Finder corrects the folder display bug, hate switching to a folder with a different view only to have it change other folders to use the same view. Anyone who uses OSX daily I'm sure has some issues with the Finder one way or another that bug them.

Faster shutdown and wake-up.

Snow Leopard is up to 75 percent faster when shutting down, twice as fast when waking from sleep with screen locking enabled, and up to 55 percent faster at joining wireless networks.

Why/How does screen locking affects wake from sleep? :blink:

HFS+ read support in Boot Camp.

Boot Camp now includes HFS+ read support that enables you to access the files on your Mac OS X partition from Windows. It’s read-only to prevent PC viruses from affecting Mac OS X, but you can easily save your work to your Windows partition and access it later from Mac OS X.

What??? PC viruses affect Mac OS X??? Apple are you dumb? The people at Macdrive are not going to like this though...

What??? PC viruses affect Mac OS X??? Apple are you dumb? The people at Macdrive are not going to like this though...

Don't see why, MacDrive demo u can only read... you pay to write. So they shouldn't worry if people still need to write to hsf+ they'll still need their app.

If I had to guess: it'd have something to do with unlocking things like keychain and file vault when the screen locks.

A worm with the option to write to say /library/StartupItems certainly could. It would drastically reduce the barrier to entry if it were running on an already-compromised Windows installation.

That said: if the Windows partition is compromised then chances are good that managed to get himself infected on Windows would be just as dutifully in getting his Mac OS X partition owned. It's a case of closing the barn door once the cows have got out (or something like that: I'm not familar with country-folk analogies). The end result is to make a worse user experience and no real protection for anybody.

Snow Leopard will be really great. Not by making a new OS like before, but by making the current OS to it's top form with just a small cost.

The small cost and the rewritten software are the keys here.

Sure Leopard has included numerous new features and Snow Leopard don't bring too mush.

But it bring a boost in all it's technologies to make Leopard the way it mean to be done. The 64bit, OpenCL and Multicore technologies will help a lot, include the reduced footprint to the mix and more usable features as the services, the text features, shortcuts and dock.

All this is the same thing MSFT is doing with Windows7, it don't bring a new GUI, it don't bring more features than Vista, it just make it faster and more easy to work on.

Anyway, I'm not surprised about this, a Snow Leopard is still a Leopard ;)

I'm really excited about the release of Snow Leopard.

The Price, the enhancements to Expose/Dock, the 64-bit support, the new Quicktime, the 6GB saving, the extra performance of Mail!

It's all very very nice :D

Also very thrilled with the price.

I don't see what this fuss about a new interface refresh is all about. Maybe like .Reo said, remove the old Aqua elements for Christ's sake... but OS X doesn't need anything more. It's polished enough, it looks great, slick, clean, ... I don't really see how you could make a whole refresh. Maybe when the OS will be in 3D, but as long as it's in 2D, I don't think we'll see big changes.

Refresh in my head means something like the dock from Tiger to Leopard. A lot of people will be unhappy, but right now they're getting used to it more and more.It's really easy to distinguish Mac elements from anything else if it stays like that. Good for publicity on the web... anyways! my 2 cents.

Edit : How big are the latest seeds by the way? As big as the current Leopard, right? I'm wondering why, as it's supposed to save like 6GB... is it because they didn't compress it, so it installs faster?

@Ker : Yeah, AMD is the one who supplies ATI graphics cards to Apple. If they put the nvidia logo, they might as well put the AMD logo !

If I had to guess: it'd have something to do with unlocking things like keychain and file vault when the screen locks.

A worm with the option to write to say /library/StartupItems certainly could. It would drastically reduce the barrier to entry if it were running on an already-compromised Windows installation.

That said: if the Windows partition is compromised then chances are good that managed to get himself infected on Windows would be just as dutifully in getting his Mac OS X partition owned. It's a case of closing the barn door once the cows have got out (or something like that: I'm not familar with country-folk analogies). The end result is to make a worse user experience and no real protection for anybody.

Any virus that has code for OS X - is not a "PC Virus"? :p I just feel it is an unwanted dig at Windows (err PC) by Apple..again.

I am looking forward to Snow Leopard not for the Eye Candy aspect or the Interface, rather the "under the hood" improvements such as 64-bit addressing and things along those lines.

Plus the price tag is icing on the cake so to speak. It would sort of appear that Apple is acutely aware of the economy. (Maybe).

I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Lot of little fixes and well refinements that make it much more complete and better. Definitely worth more than 30 bucks imo. Few of my favorites;

Change search locations.

Change the default behavior of Spotlight to have it search the currently selected folder or your most recent search location.

Rewritten for Snow Leopard.

The Finder has been completely rewritten using Cocoa to take advantage of the new technologies in Snow Leopard, including 64-bit support and Grand Central Dispatch. It?s more responsive from top to bottom, with snappier performance throughout the FinderMore reliable disk eject.b>

Snow Leopard makes ejecting external drives more reliable. Core system services such as Spotlight indexing and file system events will intelligently stop their work so you can remove your drive. And improved dialogs tell you which applications are using the drive so you know what to close in order to safely disconnect your drive.Faster shutdown and wake-up.b>

Snow Leopard is up to 75 percent faster when shutting down, twice as fast when waking from sleep with screen locking enabled, and up to 55 percent faster at joining wireless networks.HFS+ read support in Boot Camp.b>

Boot Camp now includes HFS+ read support that enables you to access the files on your Mac OS X partition from Windows. It?s read-only to prevent PC viruses from affecting Mac OS X, but you can easily save your work to your Windows partition and access it later from Mac OS Automatically show past conversations.

If you save your chat transcripts, you can configure iChat to automatically show the last 5, 25, 100, or 250 messages you exchanged with someone whenever you reopen a chat with that buddResistant to crashes.

Safari 4 in Snow Leopard is more resistant to crashes. Browser plug-ins are the number one cause of crashes in Mac OS X, so they now run in a separate process. If a plug-in crashes, the content stops working but Safari continues to run. Just reload the page to resume using the plug-iHigher-quality image scaling.

The Adjust Image Size command in Preview uses the advanced Lanczos interpolation algorithm to provide higher-quality scaling with fewer blurry artifacts compared with traditional interpolation algorithmFaster, more responsive Mail.

Mail now handles all your mail more quickly. It?s 85 percent faster to open your first viewable message, 3.5x faster to list the contents of a mailbox, 90 percent faster to search, and 2.3x faster to move messages.

Yep. Other things I found that I liSortable search results.s.

Sort your Spotlight search results by name, date modified, date created, size, kind, and label. Just open the Action menu, choose Keep Arranged By, and select the field you want to sortAirPort menu signal strength.

The AirPort item in the menu bar now includes signal strength for all available wireless networks, so you can see which access point has the best signal before selectingMore synchronization options.s.

Now everyone, not just iPhone users, can synchronize their contacts through MobileMe, Yahoo!, and GooAutomatic updates for printer drivers.s.

When you plug in a new printer, your Mac with Snow Leopard can download the most up-to-date driver over the Internet. It periodically checks to make sure it has the latest driver, automatically downloading the newest version through Software UpdTwo-thirds less bandwidth required.d.

iChat requires only one-third the upstream bandwidth to deliver near DVD-quality, 640-by-480-resolution video chats. Leopard requires 900-Kbps upstream bandwidth; Snow Leopard requires just 300 KRecord your screen.n.

Catch the action taking place on your screen with screen recording. Start recording and QuickTime Player captures the activity on your screen and creates a movie file. It?s perfect for creating instructional media or when you need more than a simple screenIntelligent text selection.ion.

Advanced artificial intelligence analyzes each PDF document to understand the structure of its words, paragraphs, columns, and visual layout and create a map of the document?s organization. Preview uses this information to help you accurately target the text you want to copy and paste, even if the text is in Import from scanner.anner.

Snow Leopard simplifies scanning by putting scanned data directly into Preview. Now you can scan, view, and correct your files and images in Preview. The scanning interface even detects the placement of images or documents on the scanner to automate the selection of regions Multiple documents in a single window.indow.

Open multiple PDFs in a single document window so you can easily view and search related documents tReorderable Mail sidebar.debar.

The sidebar in Mail is now reorderable, so you can arrange your inboxes exactly the way you waAutomatic spelling correction.ction.

Common spelling errors in TextEdit can be fixed automatically as you type. It corrects short, simple misspellings like ?teh? and ?frmo,? and it also corrects longer misspellings like ?mispelFaster, more reliable installer.re reliable installer.

The installation process is up to 45 percent faster and more reliable than ever.5 It checks all your applications and sets aside programs known to be incompatible. And in case a power outage interrupts your installation, it can start again without any danger to your data.

I forget if I read it was changed, but one thing that annoyed me with Spotlight is it would default to the whole system and not the folder, I wish it would default to the folder currently active.

Also the Automatic spelling correction I thought was going to be system wide? TextEdit is nice but I'd prefer it in Safari/iChat.

Record your screen.

Catch the action taking place on your screen with screen recording. Start recording and QuickTime Player captures the activity on your screen and creates a movie file. It?s perfect for creating instructional media or when you need more than a simple screen shot.

This is brilliant! Definitely something Windows needs and it's very good to see Apple introducing this in Snow Leopard.

This is brilliant! Definitely something Windows needs and it's very good to see Apple introducing this in Snow Leopard.

I believe Windows 7 includes "Problem Steps Recorder" that lets you record your screen, although its usage is a little different.

Snow Leopard is what I thought it would be, and that's a very good thing. They are also bundling some new fonts, too.

But one thing that throws me off. Leopard was promoted as being "64-bit top to bottom," and now it seems that it really wasn't? Because now Snow Leopard is also proclaiming to be 64-bit ready. I'm very confused. Did Apple basically lie about Leopard being 64-bit?