Getting new computer - crazy performance!

Worth is really relative, but you've seemed to ask for an opinion here...so this is mine (which does not apply to everyone's situation):

I'd get the Q6600 because it's just over 200 dollars and gives me access to four cores. I have the cool capability to handle an overclocked quad as well as a board that other people have demonstrated will push quad FSB fairly well. I have no use for SSE4 nor do I see myself running something that will use it and I plan on overclocking far enough that the faster clock-for-clock Penryn has over Kentsfield will cease to apply.

Which Silverstone?

..and what do you mean by what? You asked if the Q9450 was worth getting, that would change depending on the user and their own specific setup. You were asking for an opinion and I didn't want to try to frame what your opinion should be because I wasn't completely sure on your situation. However, I thought I gave you an idea of how you should approach getting the chip... First I figured out the next competitor where were the older Q6600 and the E8400/E8500, I guess I should've been clearer on this part. Anyway, I wanted a quad so I dropped the Wolfdales and then I broke down the differences between the Q6600 and Q9450. Q9450 is based on a newer more efficient core, so it runs cooler, has SSE4, and is slightly faster clock for clock. Since it runs cooler, it'll overclock further just based on heat being a major factor in quad overclocking (which was the first thing I addressed), then I moved onto SSE4, and then finally I spoke on the issue of the Yorkfield being faster than the Kentsfield if they were clocked the same. There's a point in software where clock speed just does not make a large enough difference in performance, in the case of games any chip over 3-3.2 GHz will perform just about the same.

He said he would get the Q6600 because it's just over $200 and gives 4 cores compared to 2. He has the cooling to handle an overclocked quad core processor as well as a motherboard that is able to push the FSB fairly well on a quad. He doesn't have any use for SSE4 (which is a feature in the newer Wolfdale and Yorkfield processors) and he is able to overclock far enough that the advantages that the faster Penryn (Wolfdale+Yorkfield) has over Kentsfield will no longer make a difference in the things that he has to do.

In other words, for what gwai lo has to do with his computer, a Q6600 will be just fine. However, what you need to do is figure out what you want to do with your computer, and get the processor that will perform that task the best without putting too much of a dent in your wallet.

lol - what i meant by what is that i didnt understand most of the things you said - and i do understand your opnion...

Wolfdale = E8x00 + E7x00 processors.

Yorkfield = Q9x00, QX9x00 processors.

Both are based on the 45nm manufacturing process that is given the name Penryn. So when we say Penryn, we are referring to the 45nm processors with the designation Wolfdale for dual cores, and Yorkfield for quad cores.

SSE4 is an instruction set for the Intel Core 2 microarchitecture that was introduced into the Penryn line of CPU's.

Intel SSE4 consists of 54 instructions. A subset consisting of 47 instructions, referred to as SSE4.1 in some Intel documentation, is available in Penryn. Additionally, SSE4.2, a second subset consisting of the 7 remaining instructions, will first be available in Nehalem. Intel, unusually, credits feedback from developers as playing an important role in the development of the instruction set.

FSB is Front Side Bus. It is quad pumped in Intel processors so when you divide your FSB by 4, you get what is known as the effective FSB. When you take your processors effective FSB and multiply it by the processor's multiplier, the result is your computer's clock speed in MHz. Divide that by 1000 and you get your clock speed in GHz.

This should go over some of the more "hard to understand" terminology that gwai lo and I used in our posts. If there are any other terms you don't understand, send me a PM so we don't derail this thread. :)

thanks but i already know what fsb is ;)

what i meant about if i should wait is that now i have waited for a couple of months waiting for certain parts and now im not sure if i should wait for the new ones to come out so mine will drop in price..?

do you guys know if there is a new nvidia chipset coming out (??880i??)

Already gave you the new pricing as well as the approximate time table for price drops, as for whether or not it'll be worth it, that's up to you as stated earlier. If you want to/can wait, then wait...if you want/need this computer now, then buy it now. Performance differences will be negligible and you can see for yourself the price difference. If you still can't decide on your own, how about we go with: buy it now.

There don't appear to be rumors of new Nvidia chipsets...

Remember to post your wish list before you finalize it and get it shipped so we can look over it, as this is a really long thread and it's easy to forget what some people have recommended earlier on.

If you want to save money then get the Q6600 Processor i have it and it is brilliant! it is a really fast processor, i love it and yes the 790i Motherboard is a good choice, the 680i does have problems on some of the Quad Processors but it has been fixed in a new revision and an bios update!

Good computer, i got 680i motherboard at the moment im hoping to get the 790i at christmas.

oops - sorry, i already ordered it without looking at this thread! :unsure: too late for wishlist...

and thank you superkid, finally someone who supports 790i :D

I swear we recommended against 790i :p

Oh well, should be a pretty good system anyway.

btw - along time ago i went to my moms friends job (ati) and so they threw out a processor, it was called intel genuine 2.8ghz...

never sethat before and it works, seems a pentium 4 to me, can anyone tell me why its called genuine?

Genuine meaning the processor isn't actually some made in China counterfeit VIA chip disguised as an Intel P4.

Yeah, I'd agree with the recommending against the nVidia motherboards. I did a lot of researching on them when I was upgrading my system and they just didn't have the reliability I wanted (and performance lacked in some areas)

But, i'm sure you'll be happy with your choice regardless! Enjoy :D

Doesn't seem like that great of a monitor for what you pay for it. But maybe I'm wrong. =\

ok - now i have a few hardware/software problems with my old computers which i woudnt mind fixing...

the computer that i used before i started using this 5 year old laptop (2.4 ghz celeron, 256 ram, 80 gig drive, and sis videocard, on an asus board.) would not start up after i started a disk check on main drive (c;/) since you need to restart computer for main drive...

The computer had problems with slowing down and there werent any viruses...

so i am guessing it was the hard drive... because sometimes when i would start up the comp it wouldnt read my slave drive...

its not overheating.

here are the comp specs... asus p5p 800mx, celeron d, 300 watt psu, 640 mb ddr 200 mhz, 20 gig maxtor (master drive), and 160 gig maxtor (slave)...

both of my laptop and comp are 5 years... was going to upgrade my comp with radeon x1650 since it didnt have an agp, or pci express slot! :huh: and get 1-2 gigs 400 mhz ddr but just decided to get new comp...

btw what was strange to me, the board is socket 775 but no agp or pci xpress though i see an outline of where an agp slot was or could go...

can anyone tell me what does "raid 0 configuration mean"? i keep hearing ppl talking about getting 2 drives and running them at raid zero config...