Rebel XSI.. simply stunning

Well I'm no pro photographer.. but I just picked up today the new Rebel XSI 12 megapixel beauty and this is absolutely a camera that makes stunning photos even on automatic modes.. sure you will play around with settings here and there..but this camera is amazing.

I essentially told myself that since I work like a maniac I would go at least once a year to an exotic place around the world. And I always wanted to take pictures of these wonderful places and various people as I travel and have fun. Unfortunately I always ended up with half blurry photos from point and shoot and they didn't even look that good to begin with..Sure they were 6 megapixel photos but pixels don't mean squat when the camera and lens is totally weak.

Enter Rebel XSI. I actually almost bought the Canon 40D but a lot of people I know that are serious photographers told me that for my purposes Rebel will be much better and especially since it outmatches Canon 40D in resolution and some overall features.

As I said, to help people see what Rebel can do with a COMPLETE NOOB in photography you can check out the photos I took today..Enjoy and know that this is totally automatic mode for the most part.. You just flip a few switches and BAM the nicest photos you probably took in your life :D

2599705346_76c18ec5d1_o.png2598875883_907ee6ecce_o.png2598875655_a690389b02_o.png2598875389_d1f27f60f3_o.png2599704346_d4ccb34b0b_o.png2598874981_cfe1d8aa35_o.png2598874725_9f9a91fa43_o.png2598874461_474356a087_o.png2598874207_0feb3936e7_o.png2598874013_4727117dbe_o.png2599703006_521e9f0f27_o.png

450D is a great camera. Enjoy it--welcome to dslr quality!

(still find it odd that one would choose it over a 40D though. Surely 2MP isn't a big deal for casual photography?)

Nonethless, great pics (Y)

how much did you end up paying? i thought about getting one since i dont like the nikon d40..the AF motor is so slowwwww

get a better lens and your AF will be faster

how much did you end up paying? i thought about getting one since i dont like the nikon d40..the AF motor is so slowwwww

newegg has UNBELIEVABLE deal on XSI.. you get a BUNCH of stuff, tripods, monopod, usb reader, bag, the actual camera and kit and I think another thing for like $890.

Since I've decided to pick up individually some items I didn't go with the bundle but I did pick up the camera kit $820 + $79 Canon kit that includes the UV protector, the Canon original bag and additional battery. So I was at $890 as well.

It's the best deal I saw to be honest.

Based off of the images I would have the assume he's using the kit lens that comes with it. The new IS one is much better than the one my Rebel XT came with.

450D is a great camera. Enjoy it--welcome to dslr quality!

(still find it odd that one would choose it over a 40D though. Surely 2MP isn't a big deal for casual photography?)

Nonethless, great pics (Y)

My understanding is the 450D is little bit better at everything it doesn't just have extra 2MP.

I just picked up a 400D (XTi) a few weeks ago and none of my pictures seem to turn out quite like these, am i just a noob or is the XSi really that much of an improvement?

My understanding is the 450D is little bit better at everything it doesn't just have extra 2MP.

You are correct..

Here's one of the pro photographer reviews when XSI came out.. he owns 40D:

UPDATE: THE IMPACT OF THE NEW CANON REBEL XSi (2/2/2008)

The replacement for the current Rebel XTi, the Rebel XSi, is scheduled for release on 4/15/2008. If you are in the market for a serious entry level DSLR I strongly recommend that you take a look at this camera. Here is a list of the key new features:

- Larger Viewfinder

- 12.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor up from 10 Megapixel

- 3.0" LCD Monitor

- Live view Mode including Contrast-detect AF

- Spot Metering

- Improved 9-point AF System

- Redesigned Menu System (including My Menu as seen in the 40D)

- Highlight Tone Priority (as seen in the 40D)

- Continuous Shooting at 3.5fps up from 3.0fps

- 14 bit A/D converter and processing

- ISO setting displays in viewfinder and ISO button

- Multi-shot Self-timer Mode

- Auto Lighting Optimiser (boosts shadows after shooting)

- Kit lens: Image stabilized version of Canon's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens

It is slightly larger than the camera it replaces. At just $800 for the body and $900 for the kit this is definitely worth serious consideration depending on your requirements, budget and preferences. To be honest with you I think current 40D owners might be a little jealous of the features on this "baby" Canon DSLR. In my opinion the competition from Nikon has forced Canon to add more features than it would normally have done. Competition is certainly great for consumers in a free-market. I cannot wait to see what the 5D replacement will be like. I have been waiting on that camera since I plan to use it as my main camera and my 40D as a backup.

Not so much. They're in two totally different leagues. Yes--this won't matter much to an average consumer but even saying that they're comparable is a bit of nonsense.

The 450D has an advantage with 2 extra MP, "contrast detect" Live View, and a smaller/lighter body.

The 40D has a more ergonomic magnesium alloy body (with partial weather sealing, spin wheel, and top control LCD), shoots 6.5fps (with larger buffer), has a much larger pentaprism viewfinder, faster sync speed (for external flash), ISO 3200 option, faster AF with all 9 points as cross type, interchangeable focusing screens (for manual focus aficionados), better ISO performance, and longer battery life.

I'm not trying to put down anyone's cameras here. It's not a show off contest. :) Just getting the facts right.

I'm also in the process of studying my first step into the DSLR world, thanks for the heads up regarding this camera. The pictures look stunning! :)

not true i have the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D and it has a motor in it

i think you ment MF

:huh: How is it that the D40/D60 line can't autofocus with AF lens then? The D40 has no built in focus drive motor and thus can't autofocus with lenses that have no drive motor. (AF)

I don't want to hijack this thread , but I also got a 450D 3 days and can't agree more with the OP. This little beast is amazing ! Almost every shoot I made with it is so cool .

Look at this :

post-7103-1214237439_thumb.jpg

The 450D is a damn good DSLR and the perfect for the one who begins in the DSLR world :D

the drive motor is in the lens it self there is no motor in the camera never has been. they should work. what lenses do you have might be a issues with the lens.

normal AF wont work you need AF-S