Rebel XSI.. simply stunning

-T-

Been looking at getting one of these, and you're make my decision even easier to make now.

This would be my first DSLR too, so I'm gonna read up on more of the features first

ironsight2000
Been looking at getting one of these, and you're make my decision even easier to make now.

This would be my first DSLR too, so I'm gonna read up on more of the features first

go with the Nikon D80 or D300 much better then canon

giga
the drive motor is in the lens it self there is no motor in the camera never has been. they should work. what lenses do you have might be a issues with the lens.

normal AF wont work you need AF-S

:| If there's a drive motor in the lens, why can't it AF with it? This isn't any issue with a specific lens, it's with all Nikkor AF lens. All Nikon DSLRs have had internal focus drive motors--the D40/D60 are exceptions.

go with the Nikon D80 or D300 much better then canon

Those suck. Get a H3D, much better than Nikon. :rolleyes:

ironsight2000
:| If there's a drive motor in the lens, why can't it AF with it? This isn't any issue with a specific lens, it's with all Nikkor AF lens. All Nikon DSLRs have had internal focus drive motors--the D40/D60 are exceptions.

Those suck. Get a H3D, much better than Nikon. :rolleyes:

right right getting confused

m4ttx was saying his AF was slow so getting a better AF-s lens would be faster

the camera does not make the photo the person does

mrk

Whilst image quality is on par with the 40D and size is more compact that's about all where benefits end. The 40D battery is different and lasts longer, the 40D has a better shell, the 40D has better AF performance (30% or so better than the last generation of xxD body which in turn was better than an xxxD body) and not forgetting the 40D can shoot at almost 8fps (I managed 7.8FPS on mine in RAW).

Also the 40D is ?525 after the ?100 cashback which puts it way too close to the retail 450D price so unless you need a small sized dslr then the benefits of the 40D are well justified especially at the small price extra it costs over a 450D !

giga
Whilst image quality is on par with the 40D and size is more compact that's about all where benefits end. The 40D battery is different and lasts longer, the 40D has a better shell, the 40D has better AF performance (30% or so better than the last generation of xxD body which in turn was better than an xxxD body) and not forgetting the 40D can shoot at almost 8fps (I managed 7.8FPS on mine in RAW).

Also the 40D is ?525 after the ?100 cashback which puts it way too close to the retail 450D price so unless you need a small sized dslr then the benefits of the 40D are well justified especially at the small price extra it costs over a 450D !

How're you getting 8fps:s:s

It's rated for 6.5 under RAW.

ironsight2000

the reason i say the D80 or D300 is is they are semi-pro they have weight to them so you will get a more stable shot

giga
the reason i say the D80 or D300 is is they are semi-pro they have weight to them so you will get a more stable shot

Some weight can be nice, but it's not the end means to get a steady shot these days.

(You do realize though that the 20D/30D/40D weigh more than a D80 though right? Mainly because of the magnesium alloy body)

ironsight2000
Some weight can be nice, but it's not the end means to get a steady shot these days.

(You do realize though that the 20D/30D/40D weigh more than a D80 though right? Mainly because of the magnesium alloy body)

the D80 feels heavier for some reason mind you i did add the battery grip to the D80

yes there is VR and IS but i dont like relying on stabilization tech to get a shot im old school in a way

Boz

Where are you getting $525. The cheapest I found D40 going for was $1100-$1200.

+StevoFC

And newer Canons come with an IS lens. If you can't get a good shot with that then you have some issues.

giga

? not $;))

ironsight2000

the D80 is 849$CND

giga
the D80 is 849$CND

Same price as a 30D.

Deaf Spacker

He typed ?525, not $525.

ironsight2000
Same price as a 30D.

it all comes down to preference

mrk
How're you getting 8fps? :s

It's rated for 6.5 under RAW.

Quoted figures are typical scenarios I'd imagine, average speed memcard being the key factor.

I shoot on a higher capacity battery though this should have minimal effect) and use a newerversion of Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB card and managed those figures.

I will redo my testing again when I get home tonight if you like as it's very easy to do, just use an online stopwatch with 3 decimal places ( I used http://www.online-stopwatch.com/ before) and then set the exposure to something fast, I used 1/1000sec at iso100 in full manual) and begin firing a burst until the buffer fills. Look at each image in sequence and you can see the frames pass the time on the stopwatch giving you your real world FPS.

Prince Charming

Speed of the CF card shouldn't have an impact until the buffer is filled, which I think for a 40D is 17 RAW frames, the the card speed comes into play, as FPS is limited entirely by card speed. Equally, you can usually shoot more than 17 before the buffer fills because I think it starts writing out as soon as the first shot is taken. I have heard of the 40D exceeding the quoted 6.5FPS before, so it's all good :)

mrk
Speed of the CF card shouldn't have an impact until the buffer is filled, which I think for a 40D is 17 RAW frames, the the card speed comes into play, as FPS is limited entirely by card speed. Equally, you can usually shoot more than 17 before the buffer fills because I think it starts writing out as soon as the first shot is taken. I have heard of the 40D exceeding the quoted 6.5FPS before, so it's all good :)

Speed of card does help I found (have slower cards I own too but only use when 4GB is filled) but yep, the 40D exceeds its quoted specs and is much closer to a 1D series body and you will often notice people looking over at you when shooting weddings or events and sometimes asking "got enough shots there? :D"

Boz
He typed ?525, not $525.

Ah..my apologies.. I misread..

He typed ?525, not $525.

Ah..my apologies.. I misread..

goodcase
how much did you end up paying? i thought about getting one since i dont like the nikon d40..the AF motor is so slowwwww

d40 doesnt have an af motor. AF is in the lens.

Congrats on the purchase though. It looks like a solid camera.

Hurmoth

I love this shot:

2598875389_d1f27f60f3_o.png

I love coffee and I love the smell of coffee beans... that photo reminds of that smell :happy:

churchonsundays
d40 doesnt have an af motor. AF is in the lens.

Congrats on the purchase though. It looks like a solid camera.

i know this. thats what i was wanting another camera with the AF motor...

o0moonman0o

xsi, and d40/x/d60 are all nice cams, xsi benefits from the factor that all canon lens (that have auto focus) will focus on it. d40/x/d60 are only nice if u have AFS lens for them as AFS are the ones which built in motor in the lens since d40/x/d60 have no motor on the body at all. the downfall for all of these entry point cams are the af, they are at best center point cross. another downfall is the noise at high iso. even though these entry cams are light but if u end up slapping a pro lens, gold ring or L on it it'll get heavy. traveling is good with these small cams for family trips but imo, if u are gonna go explore around and are the adventure type, pro body + pro lens is a nice solution. imagine shooting that hot girl or the couple making out on the stormy rain days on the streets... mm gotta love total weather proof gear :p

raider360

Hey guys.

I am on a limited budget and looking to get my first dSLR really soon. I've decided to go with a 400D Canon but I am also looking to the 450D side.

The price of 400D is $750-780 USD but 450D is cost $1100-1200 USD.

How do you guys think, is it worth to save more money and buy a 450D. I am starting with a kit lens, btw.

Thanks. :)