Agreed. It would be good to see. For the past few days I've been using the mat_queue_mode 2 command which has given some nice fps boosts (40-50 fps increase for some parts). The downside is that the command seems to be a temporary fix for multi-core support that hasn't been totally added yet and thus it seems to work better for some more than others. So far I've had one crash which isn't great but no others problems.

Yea, i've played around with that a little bit too. It does indeed bring a very nice boost in framerates and makes firefights in a packed server significantly smoother. It's too bad it's not stable enough to use full time though. As like with many others, the game doesn't last long with it on before crashing on me.

I hope they include the "better multicore support" that was previously mentioned on the blog in the upcoming update. It really needs it with as cpu bound as the game is.

This. But with multicore turned on for Left 4 Dead the game used to be really stuttery. I still keep it off and Left 4 Dead runs smoothly.

For TF2 the FPS counter frequently dips to the 40s and 30s when it can easily break the Vsync barrier in an intensive 32-man firefight. This is with all graphic settings set at max, with those small tweaks posted by The_Decryptor a few pages back and at 1280x1024 resolution.

About mat_queue_mode = Instant crash. So no thanks :p

Little tidbit for you guys; Looks like Natascha is going to be getting a sizable buff of sorts, it seems that currently it only does 66% of the base minigun damage instead of 75%, in addition to that they've upped the slowdown effect somewhat.

Source

Sweet. Hopefully the increased damage and effect will help me kill more than one person with her.

Little tidbit for you guys; Looks like Natascha is going to be getting a sizable buff of sorts, it seems that currently it only does 66% of the base minigun damage instead of 75%, in addition to that they've upped the slowdown effect somewhat.

Source

I kinda had a feeling something wasn't right about it. I tried it after unlocking it a weak or two a go and it sure felt like i needed to use greater than 25% more ammo to kill something. I guess i was right.

the mat_queue_mode command is buggy, to say the least.

Sometimes it works ok-ish, other times it kills performance, and other times it just crashes.

In my case it made my FPS go from 100 to 4.

I tried it and my game crashed, so yeah...very buggy I agree.

Nice to hear the potential upgrade to Natascha.

Sounds good. I couldn't kill anything in time using Natascha. :p

Natascha is the best thing ever, especially in arena maps. If you've got your Sandvich and Natascha (and the KGB helps) your going to dominate everyone (apart from snipers). P.S. If your getting killed by spies, your doing it wrong.

Ughh, I wish they would update this game more often on Xbox so that people actually played it. This is why I don't buy the orange box. It seems as though there are maybe 5 servers, from what I read, on Xbox.

the mat_queue_mode command is buggy, to say the least.

Sometimes it works ok-ish, other times it kills performance, and other times it just crashes.

In my case it made my FPS go from 100 to 4.

Wow. I'd like to see 100 fps in places other than enclosed areas without needing the mat_queue_mode command to come close to it. Too bad that seems unlikely with how poorly this game runs when even exceeding recommended specs. And i know i'm not alone on that.

When using mat_queue_mode 2 I got around 80 fps with 4xAA, 4xAF, Vsync and HDR (then around 56-60 in large firefights, but I had it locked max fps at 60 becuase my monitor is 60Hz anyway). Without it I have to have no AA, trilinear AF, and no HDR (and my fps still drops to 35/40 sometimes). So its a massive improvement for me personally, but its so buggy that it crashes within 3 minutes, no matter what mixture of cvars/graphics tweaks I use (It just switched to the view of a sky and I had to restart my computer :/ I tested it on 10 player servers and 30 player ones so it wasn't player count). I really hope they get multicore support working soon as it is such an increase in performance for me :(

Ughh, I wish they would update this game more often on Xbox so that people actually played it. This is why I don't buy the orange box. It seems as though there are maybe 5 servers, from what I read, on Xbox.

I remember reading about them saying that they were working on a massive update for the xbox to bring it to the same stage as the PC. Not sure of an ETA though!

So its a massive improvement for me personally, but its so buggy that it crashes within 3 minutes, no matter what mixture of cvars/graphics tweaks I use

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! I've been using the command for days now and only had my second crash today. Not sure how many hours its been but I'd say around 15-20 hours playtime. I like the fps boost I get from the command, especially on 24+ man servers so I guess I have to put up with the odd crash :p

I remember reading about them saying that they were working on a massive update for the xbox to bring it to the same stage as the PC. Not sure of an ETA though!

I'm worried that it may be too late, though, especially when MS will probably charge for the update.

I'm worried that it may be too late, though, especially when MS will probably charge for the update.

Its definitely too late to bring that game back to life on the 360. People have long forgotten and moved onto other games. Hell it was probably too late at the beginning of 2008 to turn the game around.

Wow. I'd like to see 100 fps in places other than enclosed areas without needing the mat_queue_mode command to come close to it. Too bad that seems unlikely with how poorly this game runs when even exceeding recommended specs. And i know i'm not alone on that.

I've got a mid range nvidia card (8600gt) and I can get 100fps outdoors with everything on high at 1680x1050.

Of course in other places it drops down, but the average is quite high.

I've got a mid range nvidia card (8600gt) and I can get 100fps outdoors with everything on high at 1680x1050.

Of course in other places it drops down, but the average is quite high.

Meh. I have a 9600gt and yet i get 50-55 fps outdoors on say, Well, with everything on high @ 1440x900 with 2xaa(aa from off to 4x makes extremely little to no difference in fps) and with mat queue off. That's also with no shooting happening. And even jacking everything down to low only changes things by like 1 or 2 fps. I just don't get this games performance as it's so illogical..

"When's the next update going to be out?"

* We've got an update that should be out tomorrow with a bunch of bug & exploit fixes. Later this week we hope to have another update out that changes the way we store your unlockable items. You shouldn't notice much difference, other than if you play on multiple computers we'll now propagate your item choices. You can think of that update as the one that moves your inventory into the Steam Cloud. Once that's out of the way, we'll be able to ship the Scout pack.

More at http://www.teamfortress.com/

Can't wait for the scout update, my sentry will be soooo happy :p

"Why is the Sniper such a fake Australian? Aren't several members of the TF2 team Australian?"

* Yes, it's true, the Sniper is a fairly unconvincing Australian. Most of his lines make him sound more English than Australian, and the voice actor is clearly an English actor faking an Australian accent. As for why we didn't fight to make him more authentic, we though it was appropriate that he was about as convincing an Australian as the Demoman is a Scotsman, or the Medic a German.

Glad it wasn't just me thinking that. :laugh:

Meh. I have a 9600gt and yet i get 50-55 fps outdoors on say, Well, with everything on high @ 1440x900 with 2xaa(aa from off to 4x makes extremely little to no difference in fps) and with mat queue off. That's also with no shooting happening. And even jacking everything down to low only changes things by like 1 or 2 fps. I just don't get this games performance as it's so illogical..

This is going to make me seem like I was making up stuff before, but now I can't get it to go over 50fps :laugh:

Wish I still had that screenshot so I would have some proof I'm not crazy/making stuff up.

I thought the Sniper's Australian accent was pretty convincing. And I imitate the Australian accent well enough to fool most people. Anyway, I didn't know about the Scout update. I wonder what the changes will be.