Whats your favorite distro of linux?

whats your favorite linux distro  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

rand0m.bullet
LINDOWS! ... er  :x

err, more like :x :x :x :x :angry: :blink: :blink: :huh: :blink: :blink: :crazy: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :pinch: :sleep: :unsure: :angry: :rolleyes: :cry: :cry: :wacko: :ninja:

davemania

I've only ever used Mandrakes. I think i might reinstall linux again and I'm leaning toward redhat this time

nacs

Definitely Gentoo.

2nd favorite--Mandrake. :)

deimos

i just recently gave gentoo a try and so far i like it the best.

Knight'

My favorite is RH8 :)

Vlad

Im hurt there's no gentoo option.

*tear*

Jay
Slackware is the best.

But I still am partial to Mandrake, that's what started it all for me. Mandrake = Linux XP ;)

Well put on both counts :D

DrunkenMaster

I love gentoo. I messed up the first install and was really p***** but I gave it another try since I'd otherwise re-compile a good part of Slackware. When Gentoo works it rocks. I'm still not used to the init system but using Emerge is awesome! I managed to emerge E17 but its a bit buggy since I can't read the fonts.

I've used slackware for a long time and I'm hoping someone puts a project together to get an i686 optimized version out - particularly for Perl, X and related apps. Sure I can do it my self but its hard to automate it. If someone does it I will switch back in an instant.

uniacid

yea once I get my cpu for my server imma install gentoo :) and maybe another linux distro :D

• 4 weeks later...
havyn

why do you guys like/dislike Gentoo? i'm about to start the download....how is it better than SUSE or Mandrake?

Li_Lee

Mandrake here, I've had a go of quite a number of distros but I've finally decided that Mandrake is the one for me :p

kjordan2001
why do you guys like/dislike Gentoo? i'm about to start the download....how is it better than SUSE or Mandrake?

You build your distro from the ground up and compile everything from scratch (although they do provide some large things on the cd like KDE and GNOME so you don't have to compile those if you don't want to). This makes everything faster. It also uses portage which all you have to do is type emerge <package> and it will install that package and every dependeny that package needs.

havyn
Mandrake here, I've had a go of quite a number of distros but I've finally decided that Mandrake is the one for me :p

is there a reason for mandrake over redhat?

bararum

as many others, gentoo is what i love. (Altho im going to try out freebsd which of course isnt linux but im just trying to see if anything is better than gentoo).

bararum
is there a reason for mandrake over redhat?

there used to be, mandrake was more user-friendly esp. for home users imo. But now from what i hear redhat seems to be at least as easy to use as mandrake.

havyn
there used to be, mandrake was more user-friendly esp. for home users imo. But now from what i hear redhat seems to be at least as easy to use as mandrake.

hmm...well i ran redhat 4 back in the day...but i have forgotten most if not all of what i learned. from what i can see, the gentoo setup process looks much more involved and command-oriented than the mandrake one, so maybe i shouldn't try it until i am more familiar with linux again.

nacs

That'd be the best choice havyn. Jumping straight into Gentoo will probably make you hate it (unless you're a very patient person).

Running Mandrake or an equivalent for a while can get you upto feel on how Linux works, what device drivers/modules you'll need to compile when you move to Gentoo, why RPMs suck ;) and what programs you like (when you install distros like Mdk, you get a crapload of programs that you can then pick and choose what you like better--that way, when you move to Gentoo, you won't be compiling and waiting for 10 programs that do the same thing just to see what you like).

syscrash2k

Slackware. Its very fast compared to mandrake(well, at least for me it is). And, I like tgz.

havyn

regarding Mandrake...none of the mirros that i can get on to (in the US) give me >3kb/s....anyone know of a fast one?

nm, i'll just get it from europe :)

• 1 year later...
Knight'

Gentoo by far :D