1. 1. whats your favorite linux distro

• RedHat
    • Mandrake
    • Slackware
    • Debian
    • Lycoros
    • SuSe
    • Other (if other plz post wich one)

Like so many others my favorite is gentoo. I started with Mandrake but I hated how I had to use its utilities to set everything up. The good thing about Gentoo is you can adjust everything you want to yet there's still a ton of support and help out there to get the difficult things right.

who....bumped....a....one....year....old....thread.... there is one pinned and i say debian or any distro that is not gentoo and uses APT

gentoo is bad, slow does optermission that have do nothing AT ALL! dont wait 1 year untill it installs by wasting time...

besides the point i help in make DEB packages...

Slackware owns all.

not when you are installing it from 1000 miles away at a dtatcenter.... :angry: :angry: :angry: (stupid datacenter said they will not install slackware)

Gentoo all the way... It's fast, up-to-date, configurable and fun. Not really for newbies, though...

yes 24hrs to complite a kernel on a normal home computer is FAST :blink: :blink: :blink: :rolleyes: :no: :sleep:

yes 24hrs to complite a kernel on a normal home computer is FAST :blink: :blink: :blink: :rolleyes: :no: :sleep:

Hi shimon/debianfan/neonix :)

I don't know what you class as a "normal home computer" but my compile time for the kernel is usually 10 mins max.

Or did you mean installation? If so I think the wait is worth it for such a great distro.

I don't know what you class as a "normal home computer" but my compile time for the kernel is usually 10 mins max.

Or did you mean installation? If so I think the wait is worth it for such a great distro.

...I thought that was him too.

Edited by dotRoot

You are seriously uninformed and obviously have no idea what you're talking about. It does *not* take 24 hours to compile a kernel (mine takes about 5-10 minutes). Nor does it take 24 hours to get a Gentoo installation up and running.

Try going to Gentoo's site first and reading some of the documentation and the forums. Then download it and try it. Once you've done that, please come back and post about Gentoo. Perhaps then your posts won't smack so much of ignorance and puerile behavior.

:rolleyes:

ok what ever out of kindness when quoting someone you call them by thier]/b] name not some other freaks name. ;)

but people around where i live get a new computer every 4-6 some even 7 years 90+% of people should have a p4 by now most sub 1.4GHz so i think you can see what i mean and it can take 12hr to complite a kernel

My vote goes to Debian.

I started to use Debian over the last 2 months and I'm quite satisfied with it. I used Gentoo for about a year and a half prior to installing Debian and I'd say Debian is definately faster on my PC. I love how customizable gentoo is but I also love to have bleeding edge software. Stopping my day for hours at a time vs a ~10 minute package install in Debian is not a wise way to spend my time.

A linux cluster with Gentoo + distcc would be nice though. :)

I love how customizable gentoo is but I also love to have bleeding edge software.

Well, you're definetly not getting bleeding edge packages with Debian. :unsure:

ok what ever out of kindness when quoting someone you call them by thier]/b] name not some other freaks name. ;)

but people around where i live get a new computer every 4-6 some even 7 years 90+% of people should have a p4 by now most sub 1.4GHz  so i think you can see what i mean and it can take 12hr to complite a kernel

I have a 1.6ghz. If you believe a bit over 200mhz means the difference between a 10 minute and 12 hour kernel compililation you're completely wrong.

Why do you think Gentoo takes longer to compile a kernel? It uses the same process as any other distro. Extract, make menuconfig, make && make modules_install.

Have you ever compiled/recompiled a kernel?