iPhone 3G or HTC Touch Diamond?

Can't stand WinMo imo. Just feels very ancient after using iPhone OS /TouchFlo. WinMo 7 won't come till late 2009.

TouchFlo is alright, but slapping another interface on top isn't a proper substitute--one still has to use the WinMo interface for various tasks around the phone. (same with 3rd party apps) The music app was a bit clunky too from my limited use of it.

Now is a great time to pick up an iPhone. App Store has launched with some great apps--NetNewsWire, iTunes Remote, Exposure, Super Monkey Ball. We'll see more coming soon as developers take advantage of the sweet SDK. (Y)

Mobile Me is also seamless on it if you're interested in push email/contacts/calendar.

I'm usually a Symbian-backer but Windows Mobile works too.

The iPhone is a uselessly expensive device to me so go with the HTC.

Before you think about either, do you really need a touch screen device? They can get pretty annoying at times.

OK, I went into Phones4U today, and I nearly got the chance to try out the HTC Diamond. They didn't have one in, but I've got their number, so I can call up to try it out later on. I also found it at a really good price. Sim-free, it's ?350 in store! That's ?50 less than Play.com!

Honestly, the iPhone is 90% hype. LOTS AND LOTS OF INSANE HYPE.

So yes, the screen is pretty. Yes, you can stretch pictures with 2 fingers (tho how is that a big deal?), and yes the interface is slick and has neato page turning effects.

But that is all it has going for it.

WM6 (and 6.1... soon 7) phones have far more going for them. Yes the OS has been out for far longer, but don't use that as a cop-out for iPhone's app "database"; this is a huge advantage you'll have owning a WM pro device. I guarantee you every single app thats shown up in the itunes store, WM has an equivalent and likely FREE app available. Most of which have probably been available for years or months.

WM has literally THOUSANDS of apps, freeware, trialware, regware, available.

WM phones like the HTC Titan (sprint mogul), HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch, and many others, have huge followings and modders doing tons of cool new stuff for these phones. And none of what they are doing has to be approved by Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer before we can see any of it.

If you like the interface the iphone uses, WM phones can have the same interface. Not only that, but there are numerous other interfaces, most of which are extensively customizable, and most are once again FREE.

You can access the filesystem on a WM phone. You can copy + paste etc.

You can choose from an assortment of web browsers to use on a WM phone: Netfront, Skyfire, PIE, Opera Mobile, Opera mini etc. Of these browsers, many have custom interfaces released by the mod scenes. All of these listed, can be used via Touch (ie using your thumb to scroll down the screen etc)

You can user MS's FREE Reader to read nearly every format of ebook on your phone. You can read PDF files, with a FREE pdf mobile reader.

You can edit word, excel etc documents.

You can use remote desktop to control your ENTIRE PC from anywhere you have reception or wifi (Im referring to the WM pro devices that have been released within the past few years, most of which should have EVDO/3G capability as well as wifi). I love being able to remote into my PC at home thats sitting on a larger broadband connection, and queue up a large download when I think about something and I'm away from home. Come home and it's ready for me.

You can control ANY media app on your home pc via your phone. FOR FREE.

There are numerous IM apps available. I've tried one, again that is free, that lets me IM in Google talk, icq, aim, msn, yahoo, irc, as well as chat via voice (ie push-to-talk).

Need I go on?

Okay...

You have a huge amount of different plans, carriers, choice between evdo and 3G to choose from if you go WM. Many of which, have unlimited data plans that are much cheaper than what is offered for AT&T.

Myself, I have a Sprint Mogul. Modded, tweaked etc beyond original recognition. My plan = 500mins, unlimited text, UNLIMITED data for $30/m. Sadly, this plan I have is the original SERO plan, which was just shutdown by sprint and reopened at a higher rate. But this rate, is still much cheaper than the ridiculously expensive AT&T data+voice plans. $59/m unlimited data, 500 mins etc. on Sprint's Simply Everything.

Oh and one of the coolest things I can do: Make my phone an EVDO rev. a Wireless Access Point No tethering involved. I can then browse the web @ broadband speed on my laptop, while my phone sits in my pocket. No additional charges.

Lastly, my phone has an internal GPS chip. At no additional charges from Sprint, I have around 20 something choices of software I can use with my GPS. Google maps, Live Search! (best of the free ones), iNav, Garmin mobile, TomTom, iGO etc etc etc.

Granted, the iPhone still has the HYPE. And you can look like a trendy money bags while you make calls in public. iPhone wins.

There's hype behind the iPhone, but it's still a great device. User experience is something that iPhone OS just has in the bag which just makes the device special.

No, it has nowhere near the amount of development or apps as WinMo, but neither does Mac OS or Linux distros and I work with them fine. The future is limitless. :)

HTC Touch...end of story.

iphone is just hype and for people who cant be bothered to do like 5mins of research before buying a product.

Better phone, and runs windows mobile...which beats the crap os the iphone runs.

Speaking of the GPS, anyone here know what it's like on the Diamond? I've seen the iPhone GPS tested, and it isn't entirely accurate.

BTW, I'm crossing out the con on the Diamond about the back of the phone not looking good. It's fine. It's not as conspicious as it looks in the pictures. It's also quite smaller than I thought, but that's a good thing for me.

Also, do you get charged for using Wi-Fi on your phone, unless you've got a data plan?

Edited by MightyJordan

I thought people were getting charged for using Wi-Fi. They must have meant 3G.

Never mind me! I don't know what the bloody hell I'm going on about! :D

Yes the Diamond is a better "featured" device, but with the Diamond you look like a uber-geek, with the iPhone, less of. IMO

Yes the Diamond is a better "featured" device, but with the Diamond you look like a uber-geek, with the iPhone, less of. IMO

But I AM an uber-geek! :D I don't look like one, but I have the mind of one! I don't care what the HTC has, I'll end up with the better phone.

Yes, the iPhone doesn't make you look like an uber-geek, but it makes you look like one of two things, possibly both: you'll look like a rich git, or someone who is sad enough to queue outside a store for an eternity to pick one up.

Personally, I'm glad next to no one knows about the Diamond, so I'll have a better chance of getting one! :D

I wonder how would you look like an uber-geek?

Its a phone, it has an awesome interface, and its looks a hell of a lot better than the iphone. Plus you pay less for it.

The way apple creates hype, I bet you they can take a can filled with horse manure and market it...and they would sell 1 million in 3 days...

Honestly, the iPhone is 90% hype. LOTS AND LOTS OF INSANE HYPE.

So yes, the screen is pretty. Yes, you can stretch pictures with 2 fingers (tho how is that a big deal?), and yes the interface is slick and has neato page turning effects.

But that is all it has going for it.

WM6 (and 6.1... soon 7) phones have far more going for them. Yes the OS has been out for far longer, but don't use that as a cop-out for iPhone's app "database"; this is a huge advantage you'll have owning a WM pro device. I guarantee you every single app thats shown up in the itunes store, WM has an equivalent and likely FREE app available. Most of which have probably been available for years or months.

WM has literally THOUSANDS of apps, freeware, trialware, regware, available.

WM phones like the HTC Titan (sprint mogul), HTC Kaiser, HTC Touch, and many others, have huge followings and modders doing tons of cool new stuff for these phones. And none of what they are doing has to be approved by Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer before we can see any of it.

If you like the interface the iphone uses, WM phones can have the same interface. Not only that, but there are numerous other interfaces, most of which are extensively customizable, and most are once again FREE.

You can access the filesystem on a WM phone. You can copy + paste etc.

You can choose from an assortment of web browsers to use on a WM phone: Netfront, Skyfire, PIE, Opera Mobile, Opera mini etc. Of these browsers, many have custom interfaces released by the mod scenes. All of these listed, can be used via Touch (ie using your thumb to scroll down the screen etc)

You can user MS's FREE Reader to read nearly every format of ebook on your phone. You can read PDF files, with a FREE pdf mobile reader.

You can edit word, excel etc documents.

You can use remote desktop to control your ENTIRE PC from anywhere you have reception or wifi (Im referring to the WM pro devices that have been released within the past few years, most of which should have EVDO/3G capability as well as wifi). I love being able to remote into my PC at home thats sitting on a larger broadband connection, and queue up a large download when I think about something and I'm away from home. Come home and it's ready for me.

You can control ANY media app on your home pc via your phone. FOR FREE.

There are numerous IM apps available. I've tried one, again that is free, that lets me IM in Google talk, icq, aim, msn, yahoo, irc, as well as chat via voice (ie push-to-talk).

Need I go on?

Okay...

You have a huge amount of different plans, carriers, choice between evdo and 3G to choose from if you go WM. Many of which, have unlimited data plans that are much cheaper than what is offered for AT&T.

Myself, I have a Sprint Mogul. Modded, tweaked etc beyond original recognition. My plan = 500mins, unlimited text, UNLIMITED data for $30/m. Sadly, this plan I have is the original SERO plan, which was just shutdown by sprint and reopened at a higher rate. But this rate, is still much cheaper than the ridiculously expensive AT&T data+voice plans. $59/m unlimited data, 500 mins etc. on Sprint's Simply Everything.

Oh and one of the coolest things I can do: Make my phone an EVDO rev. a Wireless Access Point No tethering involved. I can then browse the web @ broadband speed on my laptop, while my phone sits in my pocket. No additional charges.

Lastly, my phone has an internal GPS chip. At no additional charges from Sprint, I have around 20 something choices of software I can use with my GPS. Google maps, Live Search! (best of the free ones), iNav, Garmin mobile, TomTom, iGO etc etc etc.

^^WHS. I've had HTC devices since that ancient Orange SPV and there has never been a competitor until all this hype with the iPhone. I don't really class the iPhone as a competitor, but the masses will make it that way as they'll swarm out so they can do that "vagina parting" iSplit finger movement with their greasy fingers on their shiny screens. God help them if they want to send something as complex as an MMS message though ;)

There's a simple way of making a decision here. If you are a consumerist clone and enjoy the feeling when you think you look cool swinging a phone round that makes noises like a light sabre and you enjoy having your technology restricted and have someone dictate how you should use it, buy an iPhone. If you have the slightest bit of technology knowledge and enjoy tinkering with software/tech gadgets, get an HTC phone.

Apple make products for non-technical people, if this is you, get one. If it's not you, don't get an iPhone as you'll immediately be annoyed by the lack of flexibility and available software. If you want a nice interface on WM phone, get SPBMobileShell 2, get onto XDA developers and customize the hell out of it.

I have an HTC TyTN at the moment and i absolutely love it. I've changed the ROM from the default t-mobile UK WM5 offering and installed a cooked WM6 Schaps ROM, which incidentally is the best move you can make with any T-Mobile ROM. I use the following applications to make my experience sublime:

1. OS - Windows Mobile 6 Schaps ROM

2. Music - Pocket Player. This can play all common formats AND allows the use of custom plugins, so my phone is constantly updating my lastfm audioscrobbler when on the move. I use MediaMonkey on my pc to sync the phone's 8GB [cost around ?30 in the UK] memory card with my PC. Using this method i can auto convert flac, wma lossless, mp3 to the phone automatically with no DRM/iTunes problems.

3. SPBMobileShell2 - This sits ontop of windows mobile 6 to provide a nice GUI interface. Since installing it i've not had a single problem with battery drain or crashing or lag or slowness. I can only imagine this will function better on a newer HTC device such as the Diamond as it works fine on my TyTN.

4. TomTom Navigator - When in my car, i simply switch on tomtom, put the phone in the dash holder and it turns into a satnav. Through the traffic subscription, it auto updates traffic over 3G/HDSPA.

5. Jabra Bluetooth Handsfree works like a dream with the device. TomTom also pauses when a call comes in. It all works seemlessly.

6. Googlemaps is extremely useful when on the move, especially when combined with GPS.

7. WiFiFoFum makes it easy to find and latch onto open wifi networks in the immediate area, complete with gps guided locator.

8. Games, there are a LOT of games for Windows Mobile. All made by dedicated software houses and sold at a reasonable price.

9. My TyTN has a slide out keyboard, not an on screen mess of a thing like the iPhone.

10. I can use the phone like a mini pc. I can download things, unrar, edit, browse the file system, edit sounds, compose music, use MSN messenger, use Yahoo, use RDP to control my desktop, use my desktop to control my phone, Sync to multiple machines....

No contest. Just because you get a slinky interface with the iPhone, that doesn't make you special [every other person in the street has THE SAME THING]. Be creative, get something that you can truly make your own, buy HTC

2. Music - Pocket Player. This can play all common formats AND allows the use of custom plugins, so my phone is constantly updating my lastfm audioscrobbler when on the move.

You've gotta be s***ing me! You can get Last.fm on it?! :woot:

That's it! I'm getting the Diamond for sure! :D

Not just for Last.fm, though. I like all the other points in your post, ZombieFly. I've got a Jabra headset, so I'm glad that it works perfectly on it, which is more than I can say for my PS3 when I try to play Metal Gear Online! :D I can use it as a satnav, which will be a really big help. Just a question about that. You say it auto updates traffic information through 3G. Can you switch it so that it updates over Wi-Fi? I don't want to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to download traffic updates.

It all depends on what you want? Do you want a proper touch screen and multi touch device with a slick interface and UI that very rarely slows down and just works (iPhone)or do you want something packed with features and that runs on a bad OS that slows down regularly (the touch diamond). My choice was iPhone because despite its flaws it works properly!

It all depends on what you want? Do you want a proper touch screen and multi touch device with a slick interface and UI that very rarely slows down and just works (iPhone)or do you want something packed with features and that runs on a bad OS that slows down regularly (the touch diamond). My choice was iPhone because despite its flaws it works properly!

Proper touchscreen? No. Slick interface? No.

Packed with features? Yes. Bad OS? Hell no! Slows down regularly? I doubt it!

I've already made up my mind. I'm getting the Diamond. Every time I try out the iPhone, the less I like it. The touchscreen keyboard is crap, and you can't use a stylus for the touchscreen, so that's a fail in my book. I don't want an almost completely touchscreen phone, anyway. You can't replace good old fashioned buttons. You can't change tracks (unless you're stupid enough to use the headphones that come with it) or change the volume of the iPod in the iPhone without getting the phone out to do it, which is annoying if you're walking about with it in your pocket.

I prefer the Diamond, because you could just use the touchscreen, or you could just use the buttons (except on TouchFLO)! No loss!

@MightyJordan

the traffic updates are done via the tomtom software, you need to pay for a subscription to their traffic service for it to work and it's optional. To be honest it's not really required unless you are going on a long driving holiday or you spend all day on the road. You can download traffic cameras and POI's from the internet and update the maps. None of this requires a data connection.

@creamhackered

You mention wm6 is a bad OS. I cant see how you can say that. Ok, it's lacking in the GUI area but we already know that and so do Microsoft. To me a nice interface is let down by a lack of features, this is the iPhone's problem. i don't care if i can stroke my screen with my tongue AND my e-peen at the same time if there's no features behind scenes and i'm stuck using something in a way i have no control over.

I don't have a touch, so i cant respond re the slow downs, however i've read enough to know that the early versions of the touchflo software had issues, which have now been resolved.

Having used windows mobile since it was known as smartphone 2002, i can say that i've only ever experienced minor niggles all of which have been repaired by either updates or new roms. I really don't buy this whole Windows Mobile is a poor OS garbage, it simply lacks the GUI of the iPhone but conversely provides so much more in its place.

If you want a limited functionality fashion accessory to wow your iFriends in your iWorld, submit your soul to apple. [this applies to 98% of people on earth and ALL apple products]. Apple products are dumbed down for the general consumer, they are aimed at everyone from kids to grannies... If this is you, then great, go down the apple route. If you want something entirely more functional and enjoy having something different to the masses, then go HTC.

Edited by ZombieFly

I have a Diamond and i must say i love it !! yes the windows mobile is not perfect and it looks not as good as iphone but its sooo much better because its so flexible when it comes to apps etc... most of them are free and there is so many of them. And on xda-developers you can always get latest rom's for your diamond (moded so they are fast and packed with new features).

Ahh the slow downs... if you get a nice rom from xda you won't get any of them :)

just a point to note, flashing your ROM totally destroys any guarantee/waranty you have so this might not be an option for some people. Basically, if you have to return the unit to the provider and they find you've replaced their ROM, they won't be fixing it for you :)

[so always remember to stamp on the phone before sending it back!] :D

if i'm not wrong, HTC posts ROM updates on its official website. However the official ROM update for Diamond is not released YET

Anyways I own a Touch Diamond. After several tweaks, the phone is not laggy anymore. Moreover the guys at xda are constantly making tweaks and applications to improve the experience.

I just wouldn't go near another HTC / MS smart phone - had a few and they're always an enormous dissappointment. Irritating application quirks, lardy performance.. ergh.. I absolutely loathe them. iPhone 3G for me next.

I just wouldn't go near another HTC / MS smart phone - had a few and they're always an enormous dissappointment. Irritating application quirks, lardy performance.. ergh.. I absolutely loathe them. iPhone 3G for me next.

i agree that all of my smartphones as supplied by UK vendors have been disappointing. Orange are a joke and t-mobile's roms seem to lock the device randomly. However, once you move away from their buggy, badly implemented roms things improve massively

Proper touchscreen? No. Slick interface? No.

Packed with features? Yes. Bad OS? Hell no! Slows down regularly? I doubt it!

I've already made up my mind. I'm getting the Diamond. Every time I try out the iPhone, the less I like it. The touchscreen keyboard is crap, and you can't use a stylus for the touchscreen, so that's a fail in my book. I don't want an almost completely touchscreen phone, anyway. You can't replace good old fashioned buttons. You can't change tracks (unless you're stupid enough to use the headphones that come with it) or change the volume of the iPod in the iPhone without getting the phone out to do it, which is annoying if you're walking about with it in your pocket.

I prefer the Diamond, because you could just use the touchscreen, or you could just use the buttons (except on TouchFLO)! No loss!

It seems you know very little about either device.

Windows Mobile is a very bad OS but the more power you give it the better, I have been using Win Mobile since 2000 so 8 years and I still have some Win Mobile devices today. The simple fact is it is not designed for touch. OK HTC have come along and added TouchFlo and a nice home screen but as soon as you are out of that it's back to the crap interface with small tiny buttons and hard to touch elements. The UI is slow and the memory management is total crap. It's just a bloated OS that needs to be rebuilt and designed properly. The problem is like Windows the OS has to run on multiple hardware so it's written that way, unfortunately this has it draw backs as unlike the iPhone it can't always take the full potential of the hardware as every bit of hardware is different. It's a shame but with Windows Mobile 7 this should change and the OS should be a lot more touch friendly and faster.

It's good the touch screen on the iPhone is heat sensitive, that way I can chuck it in my pocket and not worry if something is going to trigger it off. It's also a lot more accurate than a non heat sensitive device. You can't multi touch with the Diamond like you can the iPhone which makes it useless for games. There are plenty of headphones that are better than what it comes with that allow you to change tracks without getting the phone out to do it. You don't need to turn the phone on fully to change tracks either you can double tap the home button to get ipod controls and you can use the volume buttons on the side of the device.