iPhone 3G or HTC Touch Diamond?

I got my diamond 7 days back, excellent phone and feature packed, the best point is flexibility of getting ppc based software available in plenty. Only thing bad about diamond is battery life, it sucks , full charge not work even for full day i.e. not much of edge or GPS. If only i can get high capacity battery??????, otherwise excellent screen quality just like printed paper and much better speed than touch.

The point that killed the Touch Diamond for me:

The touchscreen SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!

I don't know if it is a hardware issue or software issue, but it is very jerky and slow. Play with it next to the iPhone and you will see the difference is night and day.

The HTC has a pretty good interface. Too bad you'll never use it because the touchscreen response sucks hardcore.

The point that killed the Touch Diamond for me:

The touchscreen SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!

I don't know if it is a hardware issue or software issue, but it is very jerky and slow. Play with it next to the iPhone and you will see the difference is night and day.

The HTC has a pretty good interface. Too bad you'll never use it because the touchscreen response sucks hardcore.

It is probably a software issue. Does yours have a lot of operator stuff or using the operator firmware on it? If it does, get rid of it and get th eones from the HTC site. Operators install and run a lot of crap that you don't need and it seriously slows your phone down.

It is probably a software issue. Does yours have a lot of operator stuff or using the operator firmware on it? If it does, get rid of it and get th eones from the HTC site. Operators install and run a lot of crap that you don't need and it seriously slows your phone down.

No, I was using my friends who used a clean ROM.

Blah, I didn't like it at all. Cool looking device. Too bad it looks like the touch software was rushed.

Blah, I didn't like it at all. Cool looking device. Too bad it looks like the touch software was rushed.

Yeah that's my experience with it too. It's a shame because if the phone could keep up with it then it would be great.

He could have a defective phone then. See if he can get it replaced. I have a HTC Diamond and the interface isn't slow/sluggish at all, it was with all the operator crap on it but I reflashed it and its working like a charm now.

The original touch was quite slow, but HTC has learnt their lesson and improved it drastically

He could have a defective phone then. See if he can get it replaced. I have a HTC Diamond and the interface isn't slow/sluggish at all, it was with all the operator crap on it but I reflashed it and its working like a charm now.

The original touch was quite slow, but HTC has learnt their lesson and improved it drastically

Don't get me wrong. The Diamond is an improvement over previous phones like the original touch or the MDA. But, I still find it slow.

It is hard to explain, but I like the way things "stick" to your finger with the iPhone. Even if you try to move things off screen, the thing "sticks" with your finger and then snap back into place. The motion is very smooth and fluid.

I can't complain about the iPhone's software whereas the Diamond left me wanting.

Definately the HTC diamond! I have the HTC touch.. It was slow when i first got it, i installed a new custom cooked ROM onto it, and it flies now! 6.1 mobile ftw!

Once you got it, install POINT UI HOME, and you will have something like the iphones interface, smooth scrolling actions etc.

Awesome phones HTC!

Just to add to the discussion: cramming megapixels into a camera absolutely does not make it better--especially tiny sensors that they put in phones and point and shoots. The increase in the number of photosites especially in small CCD sensors results in far more noise and artifacts.

Agreed!

I hate reading on how samsung is craming 8 MP on a small phone to be released in fall, people will be like "OMG OMG LOOK AT MY 8 MEGAPIXEL0RZ phone).

Lot a bashing and trashing going on in this thread. My 2 cents:

I for one, don't like touchscreens, prefer keys I can actually feel, However it seems everyone is going whacky over touch_something these days.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, time to revive the thread! :D

I finally got to try out the Diamond at my local Orange store today, and I'm impressed! My only niggle with it is that the touchscreen is a lot less sensitive than I was expecting it to be. I'll probably get used to it after a short while, though. Everything was smooth and fluid, so out goes all those criticisms of lag! The camera on it is brilliant as well!

I must say that I am sold by it! Now I just have to save up to buy it or better still, try and get it as my Christmas present! :D

I'm on a quest now to find the cheapest sim-free price. Online, I've found it for ?399.99 on Play.com, but in-store at Phones4U, it's ?349.99! Could anyone possibly find a cheaper price? BTW, no eBay or places like Amazon Marketplace!

Another thread revival!

I got the Diamond off eBay for ?265, plus TomTom preinstalled on it, which isn't a bad deal. The only problem with it is that the auction said it was brand new, only opened once to check everything. Wrong!!! The cheeky git has used it before, and forgot to delete his tracks. He left an old text message from the 31st of July on it. Never trust a Scouser!:DD

Now, I must admit, that I haven't been as impressed with the phone as I wanted to be. Windows Mobile is very slow at times, it crashes quite a bit, and the touchscreen is very fiddly. 9 times out of 10 on the virtual keyboard, I'll end up double-tapping a key. The in-built GPS takes ages to get a signal, I can't use my music as a ringtone, I have to trim it up in the MP3 Trimmer program, and it is monumentally difficult to add contacts on the phone!

I hate to say this, but I think I may have made a mistake buying this phone (don't tell my parents!:DD ).

ok here goes

1) you can get a mp3 reg hack to make your mp3's play as ring tones (google)

2) the GPS will in time get quicker, plus it will take longer if your in doors

3) in regards to the crashes, register the handset at htc and get the updates (if any), i know there are 3 or 4 out atm

4) in regards to the virtual KB, you will get used to it, give yourself a week or 2 with it, and the mistakes will go

5) adding contact aint that hard.... well im not sure about the difference between the TYTN II and your but i cant imagine there is much differance, as its the same rom

Another thread revival!

I got the Diamond off eBay for ?265, plus TomTom preinstalled on it, which isn't a bad deal. The only problem with it is that the auction said it was brand new, only opened once to check everything. Wrong!!! The cheeky git has used it before, and forgot to delete his tracks. He left an old text message from the 31st of July on it. Never trust a Scouser!:DD

Now, I must admit, that I haven't been as impressed with the phone as I wanted to be. Windows Mobile is very slow at times, it crashes quite a bit, and the touchscreen is very fiddly. 9 times out of 10 on the virtual keyboard, I'll end up double-tapping a key. The in-built GPS takes ages to get a signal, I can't use my music as a ringtone, I have to trim it up in the MP3 Trimmer program, and it is monumentally difficult to add contacts on the phone!

I hate to say this, but I think I may have made a mistake buying this phone (don't tell my parents!:DD ).

Shud ave' got the iPhone.:pp

I'm usually a Symbian-backer but Windows Mobile works too.

The iPhone is a uselessly expensive device to me so go with the HTC.

Before you think about either, do you really need a touch screen device? They can get pretty annoying at times.

I own an iPhone and the touch screen has never irritated me so far. You just need to learn how to use it effectively and then you're good to go.

Get the iPhone. It's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be. Quite the contrary.

Plus on the short time the AppStore's live, there's been loads more interesting, and especially better looking applications created than you'll ever find in this horrible swamp of WM Free-/Share-/Payware full of ****.

I tried so hard justifying getting a HTC Touch Pro, in the end it came down to applications. I've been running freeware in a Windows Mobile emulator, I've updated my iPod Touch to 2.0 to check the AppStore. The decision wasn't hard.

And well, that Windows Mobile still looks and handles like crap. TouchFlo3D doesn't fix that at all. Actually, it's just silly icing on top of it. The only page in it that looks actually useful is the main home screen. The picture viewer? The email viewer? Christ in hell, who needs crap like that?

It really depends on what you're doing. The iPhone still doesn't qualify as a smartphone IMO because it doesn't allow multitasking. If you've ever played audio and used safari at the same time it becomes really obvious why as Safari keeps on running out of memory and quitting, with the phone being generally frozen all the time.

You can't even do something as simple as put a single picture to phone memory without having to sync an entire folder using iTunes.

I like WM devices because they let you do whatever you like to them. It's not as pretty as the iPhone interface but it's infinitely more functional and if you don't like something, you can always change it.

With that said, WM devices tend to be a bit rough on the edges without additional software. I agree, the default input panels are pretty bad. I currently use TouchPal which I find really useful and fast; it autocorrects mistakes without you having to backspace, all you have to do is just keep typing. It's loads better than the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard which is too small for thumbs.

We at work are looking for new phones. Luckily we managed to get the Touch on trial for a month. I say luckily as if we had bought four of these phones we would have been totally gutted. Rather than going on and on about how bad this phone is I just want to say 0 out of 4 of us want it. We are looking to move our contract from Vodafone to O2 and all getting iPhone 3Gs. The original iPhone didn't interest me. But now there's 3G and Exchange features the phone is starting to look attractive. The App Store is a great feature which should have been added to Windows Mobile long ago.

Anyway, I feel sorry for you. Is there no chance you get the seller to refund you for a miss-leading sale?

It really depends on what you're doing. The iPhone still doesn't qualify as a smartphone IMO because it doesn't allow multitasking. If you've ever played audio and used safari at the same time it becomes really obvious why as Safari keeps on running out of memory and quitting, with the phone being generally frozen all the time.

You can't even do something as simple as put a single picture to phone memory without having to sync an entire folder using iTunes.

I like WM devices because they let you do whatever you like to them. It's not as pretty as the iPhone interface but it's infinitely more functional and if you don't like something, you can always change it.

With that said, WM devices tend to be a bit rough on the edges without additional software. I agree, the default input panels are pretty bad. I currently use TouchPal which I find really useful and fast; it autocorrects mistakes without you having to backspace, all you have to do is just keep typing. It's loads better than the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard which is too small for thumbs.

im looking into the TouchPal program now, actully, hopefully this will work better for me

OK, something's definately wrong with Neowin! 10 new posts on this thread, and I didn't get a single email notifying me!

OK, something's definately wrong with Neowin! 10 new posts on this thread, and I didn't get a single email notifying me!

im guessing we still have server issues, search is still offline as well

Windows Mobile has been slow and buggy since it's release. Especially phone editions.

Now all i have to say is: You can't go wrong with the iPhone :)

Only thing missing on the iPhone 3g is turn by turn navigation.