[E3] Xbox 360 gets avatar system, new dashboard

The dashboard seems alright, but for some reason, I love the PS3's menu system more (very neat), as well as those animated wallpapers.

I really hope both the new dash and avatars are optional, not really digging it.

The one thing which people loved about the 360 was the dashboard and that the main thing which MS is changing :wacko:

I fire up my 360 at least once a day just to see the blades.

I like what they're doing. I like the games that are coming.

So about the game copying feature...

How much space exactly does each game take? Surely this can't really be a useful feature for the 20GB owners...

So about the game copying feature...

How much space exactly does each game take? Surely this can't really be a useful feature for the 20GB owners...

Probably about 6-7GB. So a 20GB (13GB) owner would only really be able to dump 2 games on the HDD before they fill it up. Makes sense why they're bringing in the 60GB.

Not too sure about the new look, but...

Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

Ooh yes! If they do this properly and reduce the noise by the disc not having to spin the 360 will be almost perfect and I'll be straight out to buy a bigger HDD (unfortunately I think it still has to be one of their 'special' overpriced ones, hence the almost :p).

I quite like the new Dashboard. Granted, I don't really own an Xbox 360 but from my experience in using it at my friends house, it's a welcome change from all the bright colours that I see on his screen. One thing I do like about the old Dashboard is that even though colours are overly bright and all, the structure and the shape still looks very well on an old flat screen TV.

The new install feature is also interesting, since they are now following in the footsteps of the PS3 in order to reduce the noise of the DVD. I can't say if it will be helpful, as for me I don't mind the noise, but it is a good option none the less. Now this is where MS should follow Sony, and allow us to change the HDD ourselves, instead of buying it a high price. Credit to Sony for doing it first, and it's about time either MS allow us to do it, or release a HDD at a much reasonable price.

Scirwode

Didn't the original leak of the update say this would be optional on top of the existing dashboard anyway? You can even see in one of the pics "Y for XBOX 360 Dashboard"

Did some more reading on it, still don't like the new dashboard. However, I'm really liking some of the other features, native resolution support for my 22" LCD monitor is very nice and the copying games to the HDD is definitely a nice feature. I'm gonna need to buy the 120Gb HDD to make good use of it, but still something I'd look into doing :)

Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

Meh.. whats the point? I'd much rather be able to store my games on the machine so I don't have to get up to swap them over.

MS: we haven't copied Nintendo, Xbox avatars have arms, necks and legs

David Gosen, Strategic Marketing VP for Microsoft's game business in EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa), has rubbished claims that MS have copied Nintendo with the recently revealed Xbox avatars. "Avatars go back to this concept of a social experience on a social network - [we have] 12 million members [on Xbox Live] globally, and we have a very actively engaged member-base," he said. "So we've got a really active community already, and what we need to do is create an identity for those people. Personalisation isn't really new - we know people want to personalise their experience. Now, the avatars we've got are Xbox avatars, and they have arms, necks and legs, which other people's avatars maybe don't."

"But that's just the start point. They're appearing in the game, and what you'll see us do more and more is make sure that avatars are truly integral to everything we do. It just goes back to true personalisation and creating a social network that really works and is really relevant to all people."

And asked whether or not it was important to get the avatars out there before gamers started using Home in greater numbers, Gosen was sceptical.

"Well I think what Sony does with Home is up to them, and my advice is that we shouldn't hold our breath, because that could be quite a dangerous thing to do," he said.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=29535

I thought that was quite a funny quote :p

Meh.. whats the point? I'd much rather be able to store my games on the machine so I don't have to get up to swap them over.

The point is reduced loading time and minimizing noise. Those are very, very big points.

I thought that was quite a funny quote :p

I agree :p . Though I thought it was typical of someone from the Xbox 360 group regarding his comments about Home.

Scirwode

Very nice, I look the new Dashboard, looks modern and much better than the Current Dashboard. The blades, mass amount of colours ect.... Just doesn't do it for me. So I will look forward to the update which contains this :-)

I wonder what will happen to all those themes everybody bought (not me though :p)? I'm guessing this new UI is just that, a new UI that will be optional from the current dash.

sighs i got rid of my 360 & now they gonna let you copy your games into the console ? what happens if somebody has burnt games could those be copied as well ?

It's not optional people, this new UI will replace the current one

Sure about that? Quote taken from one of the closed threads here:

? Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it?s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

Sure about that? Quote taken from one of the closed threads here:

That's referring to the in-game Guide you see when you push the Guide button. Instead of the blade sliding in from the left like it does now a window pops up in the middle with a mini version of the blade UI. But as far as the Dashboard like it is now it will be replaced by the new UI.

post-251440-1216140663.png

sighs i got rid of my 360 & now they gonna let you copy your games into the console ? what happens if somebody has burnt games could those be copied as well ?

Considering you need the original inside the dvd drive, I don't think so.