[E3] Xbox 360 gets avatar system, new dashboard

I love the look of the new dashboard. Everything is clean and stylish, I like it. However, I am still on the fence about the avatars. I am sure once I get used to them, I won't mind. But, they do look kind of childish. Also, I unlocked my master ninja gamerpic by beating MN on Ninja Gaiden 2, and if I am "forced" to defer to avatars, I might get angry.

The only thing I do not like about the new dashboard is the vertical text menu that resides in the top-left corner. The list of channels or whatever. I don't like how the currently selected option uses so big a font, and the others are progressively smaller. It looks tacky to me. I would prefer the menu to be a static, smaller font size. I think I would look way better.

I thought the idea of avatars was pretty crappy, but then I thought it'd be a whole lot cooler as long as developers support it.

For example, for Gears of War they could have an achievement (or just owning the game) unlock the Cog suit for your avatar. Or Halo 3 could unlock the Master Chief suit. I'd rather actually have stuff like that -- as long as developers support it -- than gamer pictures.

Ahh more worried about the ad placement, bearing in mind they haven't shown any, and haven't decided what to do about it

I thought the idea of avatars was pretty crappy, but then I thought it'd be a whole lot cooler as long as developers support it.

For example, for Gears of War they could have an achievement (or just owning the game) unlock the Cog suit for your avatar. Or Halo 3 could unlock the Master Chief suit. I'd rather actually have stuff like that -- as long as developers support it -- than gamer pictures.

That is a pretty sweet idea. I'd prefer an exchange of my gamerpic for a Ryu suit though. :p

I like the sound of that.

I love the look of the new dashboard. Everything is clean and stylish, I like it. However, I am still on the fence about the avatars. I am sure once I get used to them, I won't mind. But, they do look kind of childish. Also, I unlocked my master ninja gamerpic by beating MN on Ninja Gaiden 2, and if I am "forced" to defer to avatars, I might get angry.

The only thing I do not like about the new dashboard is the vertical text menu that resides in the top-left corner. The list of channels or whatever. I don't like how the currently selected option uses so big a font, and the others are progressively smaller. It looks tacky to me. I would prefer the menu to be a static, smaller font size. I think I would look way better.

Actually, you are not forced to use the Avatars. You can still use static gamerpics, that option is there.

Yeap, that would be pretty sweet. I actually remember reading something about how games would let you unlock certain accessories for your Avatar, so I'm sure there will be some level of support for that. We'll see how detailed it is though...

Ahh more worried about the ad placement, bearing in mind they haven't shown any, and haven't decided what to do about it

There is no ad-placement now. These "ads" are in the Spotlight channel IINM.

That functionality does sound cool, I just hope you get more options than just a MC suit...scrolling through my friends list an seeing nothing but green suits would annoy me. Now mixing and matching pieces of outfits would be cool, a Big Daddy helmet on a COG body would be sweet and it would allow more variety.

That functionality does sound cool, I just hope you get more options than just a MC suit...scrolling through my friends list an seeing nothing but green suits would annoy me. Now mixing and matching pieces of outfits would be cool, a Big Daddy helmet on a COG body would be sweet and it would allow more variety.

Yup, and it looks like that functionality may very well be possible. As was recently in Major Nelson's podcast:

If developers choose though, adds the mysterious co-host, they can stick some cool rewards for Avatars in their games.

"I was talking to Todd Howard [bethesda exec producer]," says The Major, "and he was like, 'hey, I want to talk about Avatars - do you think there's a little hazmat suit for Fallout 3 we could make?" At least they won't be charging for it... (we hope)

So, now I must say, even though I thought the Avatars looked a bit childish and pointless, if this type of dev-support does come about then I'll be loving Avatars. It would be really cool to show off certain Achievements that you have attained by wearing them on your Avatar, a la Halo 3's Armor Permutations that coincide with certain Achievements. Pretty sweet!

Actually, you are not forced to use the Avatars. You can still use static gamerpics, that option is there.

Yeah, I know you're not literally forced to use avatars, that's why I put "forced" in quotes. What I meant was, if the old gamerpics look dated and out of place in the new dash then I'd feel pressured or obligated to switch to avatars.

We don't really know how well the pics will mesh with the new stuff, since there has been no screenshots of it so far. So all we can do at this point is hope.

Ads will more integrated in the system, more than likely one of the options in the 3D flip list.

We saw a few games / trailers advertised in one of the channels already.

I just wonder how much they're going to charge for individual parts which are actually useful rather than generic/stupid ones everyone uses.

Lol, look at the reflection of the Nike advert, it's the call of duty 4 box xD

EDIT: Infact, WTF IS UP WITH THAT NIKE ADVERT?!

Why are Nike even on the Dashboard?

I thought it was limited to gaming content adds only? :/

edit: Wait, it's a mockup right? :p

Serious question though, I've only ever seen game ads, am I correct in saying that Nike wouldn't ever appear anyway?

I love how you guys seem to have thought it was real, even when it's reflection obviously shows it's photoshopped :p

And no, I doubt Nike would show up, but the new dashboard would make it viable to introduce less related ad content and still have it not particularly intrusive.

-Spenser

I love how you guys seem to have thought it was real, even when it's reflection obviously shows it's photoshopped :p

And no, I doubt Nike would show up, but the new dashboard would make it viable to introduce less related ad content and still have it not particularly intrusive.

-Spenser

Well due to the viral nature of the add (shoe mixed with a guys junk), the last thing you look at is the reflection :p

Although yes, I noticed the reflection after posting.

I dislike the ads altogether, but as long as it stays to gaming/XLBA related content that's fine. The minute we start getting 3rd party content on the dash I won't be happy.

In the store/marketplace, okay, a movie/product ad is okay, but not on the main screen I use to navigate my 360.

lol... Imagine seeing something like that on xbox, was going to add a shadow but had to rush off this evening.

I've only ever seen game related ads... dont mind that at all really.