1. 1. Who makes the best DSLR?

• Sony/KM
    • Canon
    • Nikon
    • Pentax/Samsung
    • Leica
    • Olympus
    • Other

All of you are WRONG, Canon and Nikon dont have a thing on Hasselblad systems. Sorry, both companies just got owned.

Leica has far better optics in their reflex systems ;)

Also, dont get cocky, the original poster clearly said he is a begginer and wanted to try a dslr, Hasselblad its not for him.

I believe canon is winning in the image quality arena, especially with high isos. The nikons feel more sturdy and hands on however. The canons tend to feel a bit fiddly.

The best DSLR is the one you will use most after you buy it. Regardless of how good a DSLR is, if it sits around the house without use, it's a worthless item. That is the fate of many DSLRS.

Like others have said, it's not so much the DSLR that matters, it's more of the "system" that it's compatible with.

If you develop into a prime shooter: Canon

If you like zooms: Nikon

If you like LCDs that don't look like garbage: Nikon

If you like a lens selection that's larger than the digits of pi: Canon

In the end, your lens will matter far more than your camera. If light comes through crap, the camera will record it as crap :)

If you choose to go with Sony or some other brand, you will still make awesome pictures. You can ALWAYS sell those off and switch to Canon/Nikon if you find yourself outgrowing your camera's system. Do not let tech comparisons and measurebating get in the way of just buying a camera and shooting pictures :)

I've just changed the pool by adding more options. There was 3 ppl voting for others which I deleted and as maybe should fit with the other options I added. If not, please those ppl should revote

I believe canon is winning in the image quality arena, especially with high isos. The nikons feel more sturdy and hands on however. The canons tend to feel a bit fiddly.
You beleive or you wish? ?It used to be the Canon 5D that had a decent advantage but now with the new Nikon D300/D3 and probably D700, the Canon 5D is now far away behind.

Canon all the way. My Rebel XTi suits my needs perfectly. Mind you, I don't know a whole lot about Nikon, but I can tell you that a Canon has worked perfectly for me as a beginner.

Either Canon or Nikon. My first SLR was a D70, so I'm sticking with Nikon now :) Got myself a D300... also whoever said 40D and D300 are close... I disagree. D300 has a noteworthy edge:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page22.asp

the 40D and the D300 are technically in the same class. With that being said, however, the real competitor to the D300 would be the 5D...the 5d has the full frame sensor and thus is not compared to the D300. The D700 and the 5D are officially the competitors in that class now.

Not the D3/D700/D300!

I agree with that statement. The new Nikons have superb ISO control. I was at the local ma and pa camera store talking to their canon guy and he was talking very very highly about the new Nikon cameras.