[E3] Nintendo

Speaking with GameTrailers, Nintendo’s Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Cammie Dunaway was asked about the lack of any announcement regarding the Wii’s storage problem. Dunaway’s response was… well… read…:
Well we’re just hoping people can continue to manage right now using SD cards, deleting games that they’re not playing. If it’s like my house, we have so many games but we’re always on to the next one, so we just delete one when we’re downloading another one and if we ever want to go back the system knows that we purchased it and we can access it right again.

…what? What? Am I to believe that Nintendo’s official position on the storage space issues is “deal with it”? People shouldn’t have to delete their old games if they want to purchase a new one, even if the Wii remembers that you bought it.

Oh, and I love her message to the hardcore crowd that may have been disappointed by Nintendo’s showing: “Keep playing Mario Kart.”

Source: http://www.bingegamer.net/index.php/2008/e...e-with-sd-cards

Uh oh :pinch:

They should enable USB hard drive support... Or release a hard drive addon that's USB.

The way it sounds to me is that they are asking us to hold-on a little longer, Maybe they are just trying to get some agreement going with a harddrive manufacturer.

Ugh dont go by what this exec said. Miyamoto stated the are working with a couple different alternatives and might announce something in the future.

They are working on it.

The way it sounds to me is that they are asking us to hold-on a little longer, Maybe they are just trying to get some agreement going with a harddrive manufacturer.

Honestly? I hope not.

I want the era of paying $100 for a 20 gig harddrive simply because its programmed with specific firmware to be the ONLY harddrive that will work with said system despite the fact that its a typical off-the-shelf brand to be OVER.

If they add harddrive support I just want Win2k-xp-vista style USB drive support, where just about any usb harddrive or flashdrive you plug in will work.

..... knowing Nintendo though they would rather kill off Mario than not create propitery addons.

Honestly? I hope not.

I want the era of paying $100 for a 20 gig harddrive simply because its programmed with specific firmware to be the ONLY harddrive that will work with said system despite the fact that its a typical off-the-shelf brand to be OVER.

If they add harddrive support I just want Win2k-xp-vista style USB drive support, where just about any usb harddrive or flashdrive you plug in will work.

..... knowing Nintendo though they would rather kill off Mario than not create propitery addons.

From a bussiness perspective (and Nintendo is a business) it makes sense to have a proprietary HDD, or perhaps they just need time to create the infrastrucure needed to get support going( new menu features, rights to use the HDD USB support) By the way does that require payment of royalties like MP3 does?

^ Where in the world are you shopping? At the 2010 store?

16GB SDHC CLASS 6 ADATA : $44.99 @ Fry's.

It's not Panasonic or Sandisk/Lexar, but still - you can get one for less than $50 :)

Fact: Nintendo gave up on hardcore players, they focusing 100% on casual gamers.

Casual gamers wont buy an HDD add-on, therefore, Nintendo wont release one.

The end.

Fact: Nintendo gave up on hardcore players, they focusing 100% on casual gamers.

The end.

I still fail to see how even a hardcore gamer could, on the Wii, fill up more than 16gb.

32gb cards are still over $100, but I'm sure they'll be in the sub-$75 range within a year.

You can get a 16gig SD card for $50.

That's massive overkill for the kind of downloadable content we have for the Wii.

+1

SD cards are more than enough for the Wii.

I have a feeling that even the 20GB HDD is enough for vast majority of the 360 owners.

I still fail to see how even a hardcore gamer could, on the Wii, fill up more than 16gb.

32gb cards are still over $100, but I'm sure they'll be in the sub-$75 range within a year.

Homebrew....

to be more precise, you can now play SNES roms on your Wii, if i had a hard drive for it, i could store, every freaking game made for the SNES, as well as other emulated consoles, and homebrew games and apps...

Don't forget that Nintendo also places a retarded 41 game limit on the VC. You should be able to buy as much as you want and have it accessible without deleting/copying. Why couldn't they just allow the SD card to be detected and treated as more blocks to the main system memory?

The end.

Fact you have no idea what you are talking about and have done no research to back up your claims.

Nintendo stated outright that they will only show casual games at e3. They also stated they are working on hardcore games. Nintendo in the past has had their own press releases and events in the fall for their hardcore games so we have no reason to believe this wont be the case.

Also is everybody ignoring the fact that miyamoto said they are working on a solution or is everybody just looking for ways to bash nitnendo even if its a complete lie?

Homebrew....

to be more precise, you can now play SNES roms on your Wii, if i had a hard drive for it, i could store, every freaking game made for the SNES, as well as other emulated consoles, and homebrew games and apps...

To be fair, in regards to homebrew we'll get hard drive support. In fact hard drive support is already enabled for homebrew but it's constrained to USB 1.1 for now - Wii DOES support USB 2.0.

USB 1.1 is enough for homebrew though - The people who want USB 2.0 support are mostly those dreaming of an ISO loader :rolleyes:

The Wii is being ripped through on the homebrew front, almost as quickly as the PSP.

First glimpse at custom firmware is already out.

Was there an update so the Wii can use SD cards greater than 2 GB? or SDHC?

2 GB SD cards are about $10 and 1 GB around $6. Thats not bad at all.

Was there an update so the Wii can use SD cards greater than 2 GB? or SDHC?

2 GB SD cards are about $10 and 1 GB around $6. Thats not bad at all.

Yea I think we have a 1gig in our wii, and i wasnt sure if it was sdhc compatible or not either, still i think 4gigs for the wii is fine (you can buy non sdhc 4gig cards), its not like we are downloading game demos/trailers online, the only time it will be nice is when the dlc starts to come with Guitar Hero, and by then if they dont have SDHC support they should update it by then.

To be fair, in regards to homebrew we'll get hard drive support. In fact hard drive support is already enabled for homebrew but it's constrained to USB 1.1 for now - Wii DOES support USB 2.0.

USB 1.1 is enough for homebrew though - The people who want USB 2.0 support are mostly those dreaming of an ISO loader :rolleyes:

The Wii is being ripped through on the homebrew front, almost as quickly as the PSP.

First glimpse at custom firmware is already out.

Thats awesome, i dont really keep that up to date with the Wii homebew as with the PSP.

Have to check that out.

Fact you have no idea what you are talking about and have done no research to back up your claims.

Nintendo stated outright that they will only show casual games at e3. They also stated they are working on hardcore games. Nintendo in the past has had their own press releases and events in the fall for their hardcore games so we have no reason to believe this wont be the case.

Also is everybody ignoring the fact that miyamoto said they are working on a solution or is everybody just looking for ways to bash nitnendo even if its a complete lie?

Wow, quick on the attacks... i have no idea what im talking about.... ok....

I dont need to do any research, of course i know they must be working on something, but without any announcements, at most we will only be seeing one or two real hardcore titles per year. Does not justify my purchase.

I know i sounded harsh to Nintendo but im just really disappointed with them, i have supported them over the years, even with in the Gamecube era, and as with every console, the games released over the years justify my purchase and with each game im just glad that i bought said console on the release date, but my Wii, its just gathering dust, last time i felt my purchase justified was with Mario Galaxy and while it was extremely good, it wasn't Mario 64 or Zelda OoT, i want those kind of games back, i know Nintendo can do it. (by "those kind of games" i don't mean "Mario or Zelda games" i mean ground breaking experiences like nothing before it, thats why i got excited about the Wiimote to begin with, i was expecting that.)

I AM looking forward to Wario Land Shake and Kirby Super Star for the DS, but thats only 2 titles, one for the Wii.

The only reason i wont sell my Wii is because i know that eventually they will probably release something AAA, well at least i hope so, Iwata didnt sound like he cared too much about it with his announcements.

Thats awesome, i dont really keep that up to date with the Wii homebew as with the PSP.

Have to check that out.

Wow, quick on the attacks... i have no idea what im talking about.... ok....

I dont need to do any research, of course i know they must be working on something, but without any announcements, at most we will only be seeing one or two real hardcore titles per year. Does not justify my purchase.

I know i sounded harsh to Nintendo but im just really disappointed with them, i have supported them over the years, even with in the Gamecube era, and as with every console, the games released over the years justify my purchase and with each game im just glad that i bought said console on the release date, but my Wii, its just gathering dust, last time i felt my purchase justified was with Mario Galaxy and while it was extremely good, it wasn't Mario 64 or Zelda OoT, i want those kind of games back, i know Nintendo can do it. (by "those kind of games" i don't mean "Mario or Zelda games" i mean ground breaking experiences like nothing before it, thats why i got excited about the Wiimote to begin with, i was expecting that.)

I AM looking forward to Wario Land Shake and Kirby Super Star for the DS, but thats only 2 titles, one for the Wii.

The only reason i wont sell my Wii is because i know that eventually they will probably release something AAA, well at least i hope so, Iwata didnt sound like he cared too much about it with his announcements.

Yes but you are attacking nintendo with no factual basis. Nintendo gave you :

Super Mario Galaxy

Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

Smash bros brawl

Fire emblem

super paper mario,

mario kart,

wario ware

Excite Truck

Mario Strikers

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

all before 2 years of the wii being out.

You cant really expect them to have games ready to show to the public so soon,.

Thats 11 first party titles and we havent even hit the 2 year mark. The wii only launched in around nov dec 2006. Add wario land and thats 12 .

Come on guys . Why is it that microsoft and sony can get away with less first party games in two years but nintendo can't?

thats 11 nintendo made hardcore games in 21 months so one hardcore game every two months about. Thats not enough for everybody. I even lkeft out the nitnendo made casual games like wii sports, and brain training.

Wether you like all the games on the list i posted they are still hardcore gamer games.

This is better then what nintendo did with the gamecube and people are still complaining.

Homebrew....

The largest two SNES games ever released were only 48Mbit, or 6 megs. You could fit 2,731 of them onto a 16gig SD card. Of course, the rest were smaller. Often much smaller: they could be as small as 256kbyte.

Even the largest N64 games are only 64megs. Of course, many were as small as 4 megs!

Odds are that you CAN store every game for the NES, SNES and N64 on a single 16gb card. Even if you can't, you could most likely fit them all on a 32gig one.

In fact, let's do some math. Wikipedia lists 785 SNES games, 810 NES games, and 387 N64 games.

We'll assume an average of 3mb for NES games (Probably massive overkill), and say 32 for N64. NES we'll say 48kb (I didn't see the info in the wikipedia article, and didn't feel like researching further.)

40 megs for NES, 2.3 gigs for SNES, and like 12 gigs for N64.

It fits.

Edited by MioTheGreat

Yes but you are attacking nintendo with no factual basis. Nintendo gave you :

Super Mario Galaxy

Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

Smash bros brawl

Fire emblem

super paper mario,

mario kart,

wario ware

Excite Truck

Mario Strikers

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

all before 2 years of the wii being out.

You cant really expect them to have games ready to show to the public so soon,.

Thats 11 first party titles and we havent even hit the 2 year mark. The wii only launched in around nov dec 2006. Add wario land and thats 12 .

Come on guys . Why is it that microsoft and sony can get away with less first party games in two years but nintendo can't?

thats 11 nintendo made hardcore games in 21 months so one hardcore game every two months about. Thats not enough for everybody. I even lkeft out the nitnendo made casual games like wii sports, and brain training.

Wether you like all the games on the list i posted they are still hardcore gamer games.

This is better then what nintendo did with the gamecube and people are still complaining.

I played some of the titles in your list, the ones im interested in at least which are..

Super Mario Galaxy

Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

The rest im just not interested in, Excite truck was horrible, i checked out Wario Ware because i felt in love with Wario in the Game Boy and GBA, but Wario Ware is just another bunch of casual mini games :(, Donkey Barrel Blast, horrible too..

Smash bros, i reckon there are lots of folks that love it, but im just not interested in it...

And this is the past, what is there to look forward to in the future???

As far as i know, its only a potential Mario/Zelda title which we have not heard anything about(Just that there is work being done... ???), Wario Shake and for third party im interested in Mad World, thats it, what else????

And the reason why Sony/Microsoft can get away with it is because they have much much stronger third party support bringing out awesome AAA titles that can be played for years, from those games you listed the only one i see people playing over and over again for a year is Smash Bros...

And yeah, its better than the Gamecube, but not better than the competitors, i know the Wii its going for Casual audience, but they said clearly on the keynote that they want to target the "core" too, that means that they want me to buy and play Wii games instead of 360/PS3 games, and its just not happening, where are the games??, be it First or third party...

The largest two SNES games ever released were only 48Mbit, or 6 megs. You could fit 2,731 of them onto a 16gig SD card. Of course, the rest were smaller. Often much smaller: they could be as small as 256kbyte.

Even the largest N64 games are only 64megs. Of course, many were as small as 4 megs!

Odds are that you CAN store every game for the NES, SNES and N64 on a single 16gb card. Even if you can't, you could most likely fit them all on a 32gig one.

In fact, let's do some math. Wikipedia lists 785 SNES games, 810 NES games, and 387 N64 games.

We'll assume an average of 3mb for NES games (Probably massive overkill), and say 32 for N64. NES we'll say 48kb (I didn't see the info in the wikipedia article, and didn't feel like researching further.)

40 megs for NES, 2.3 gigs for SNES, and like 12 gigs for N64.

It fits.

well, thats why i said "Homebrew..." first and then i followed with an example, i just meant have any amount of homebrew, roms for every console, not just 64, SNES, but other platforms too, plus developer tools, demos, community games and tools, etc.

But you are right, a SD should be enough for most things, and as Audio said, there is some sort of way of using a HDD using Homebrew already...