Microsoft looks to 'Mojave' to revive Vista's image

I'm guessing MS would use the latest version, so SP1.

Honestly, I was kinda expecting something more.

Those critics mustve never tried Vista, or theyre easily swayed.

User panel : " OMG this is better than Vista !!!1!"

M$ dude : " PWned !!1! This IS Vista !!1!"

:)

:laugh: +1 I guess a lot of people had some negative experiences with Vista before SP1 and the stigma stuck.

Reading comprehension is off the scale in this thread. They weren't "critics", they were average, run-of-the-mill users that thought they knew a lot more about something than they actually did. You know...that sounds a lot like...the people...posting...here..?

True. Many of the features of Vista can easily be added to XP as well. I can make XP look and act exactly like Vista. Vista was not the big change that XP was from the 9.x line. At this point I don't really care if Vista is finally working as it should have from the start. Its far too late even though at first I had actually wanted to like Vista.

You can make XP look like Vista---except the graphics won't be hardware-accelerated through Dwm, and will run slower---while in Vista, running aero should make Windows run faster. I don't think you get it.

i use vista daily, i respect it but i don't always recommend it. the 20% give or take loss of performance in games and there's nothing else to do except blame microsoft since there's no resolution or reason or point to it. so in some ways yeah fine it does the jobs has a few perks but also has as many down sides to it as much as perks so it's like why spoon feed people what they don't want and as much money you can pour into marketing and trying to change peoples minds they should be pouring it into fixing it so it doesn't have so many adverse effects to what people want.

Not really true about the gaming performance loss:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2303830,00.asp

benchmark tests on a brand new top of the line system is different from varying setups and whats now considered legacy hardware and individual experience. i myself experience 75% loss of performance in most games compared to xp which plays them fine under vista my system struggles to get a steady smooth framerate which obviously says enough for my experience and others i know who don't have core 2 duo or quad new systems who can play games fine on xp but under vista just turns games to power point presentations and not everyone has or is able to upgrade and have systems capable of running games under xp which is what they want and need and they bag microsoft cause you get molasses quality gaming under vista. i'm not talk really old systems i'm talking last 2-3 year old and were top of line back then.

benchmark tests on a brand new top of the line system is different from varying setups and whats now considered legacy hardware and individual experience. i myself experience 75% loss of performance in most games compared to xp which plays them fine under vista my system struggles to get a steady smooth framerate which obviously says enough for my experience and others i know who don't have core 2 duo or quad new systems who can play games fine on xp but under vista just turns games to power point presentations and not everyone has or is able to upgrade and have systems capable of running games under xp which is what they want and need and they bag microsoft cause you get molasses quality gaming under vista. i'm not talk really old systems i'm talking last 2-3 year old and were top of line back then.

Graphics card manufacturers have very little incentive to support their legacy hardware on a new operating system. By the time they'd get it optimized to the same point as XP, the cards would be obsolete.

It makes sense that the further back you go, the wider the gap between the two operating systems becomes. On newer hardware, Vista and XP have virtually indistinguishable gaming performance.

Wrong response. This is not Vista, it's Server 2008. Vista SP1 is not the same crap filled buggy Vista RTM from 18 months ago. Yeah, of course it looks better now.

i myself experience 75% loss of performance in most games compared to xp which plays them fine under vista my system struggles to get a steady smooth framerate

You are definitely having an odd situation there. Gaming performance should be very much on par. What type of card do you have, and how old are the drivers for it?

I was just about to make the exact same comment but you beat me to it! :D At least I tried (and tried, and tried) Vista repeatedly before I decided I didn't like it. Though I admit i've been using Vista x64 at work for a few weeks now and it's a huge improvement over my previous experiences. I'd never ever slam a product without trying it - it just makes you sound like an idiot.

However quite frankly I still begrudge horsepower to get it to that point though if i'm honest! I've setup a pair of disks into a RAID0 to get some decent disk speed and stuck in 4GB of RAM! For an OS!!! We still only ever spec out our application & DB servers with 4GB and they run superbly!

Maybe you don't slam a product immediately, but you have to understand that most people do. It's in many people, the idea of just "fitting in". In reality, trying to do so just gets you to look like a ignorant moron.

It's disgusting, really, and I hate Apple for making it seem like a good thing.. The "I'm a Mac" ads? I thought the first few were funny, but as new ones kept coming, it was more and more obvious to spot Apple's lies embedded in them.

People used to blame Microsoft for such a thing, and Apple was king. Today, same story switched. No problem though, when/if the Mac userbase passes 15%, people will see the difference in that it really isn't as claimed.

But I'm no fan of either of the companies, I just dislike the constant BS that floats around. But hey, that's marketing, right?

i myself experience 75% loss of performance in most games compared to xp which plays them fine under vista my system struggles to get a steady smooth framerate

There's something else going on then, that shouldn't be happening.

In my case, I actually got a performance increase by moving to Vista.

That is what I was going to suggest also. Depending on your system, a lot of people I have talked to have seen increases due to their move to Vista. Hence why I am installing Vista Ultimate on my computer I'm building next week.

is it just me... or am i tempted to see a 'windows mojave' theme? like exactly like the default vista setup but with every instance of the word 'vista' replaced by 'mojave'

Strange. I had Vista on my PC but it just become so slow and sluggish that I had to switch back to XP to experience my first fastest responsive system I've ever seen since having ran Vista for 2 years. I can play games that under vista wouldn't even run. I tried Quake 4 in Vista and it wouldn't register as a high settings by default and ran at extremely low 640-800 and low quality settings, but after repeating the installation on XP, I am able to get extreme high and large resolution on Quake 4 without any framerate drops.

Wrong response. This is not Vista, it's Server 2008. Vista SP1 is not the same crap filled buggy Vista RTM from 18 months ago. Yeah, of course it looks better now.

Yeah, except not.

A large number of the problems in Vista are caused by the ID-Ten-T error. This is a layer 8 category problem that really doesn't have a reasonable solution. ;)
A large number of the problems in Vista are caused by the ID-Ten-T error. This is a layer 8 category problem that really doesn't have a reasonable solution. ;)

:yes:

And what's more, is the idiots claiming that SP1 solved all sorts of problems. They have no idea what they're talking about, obviously. SP1 contained NOTHING new in the way of bug fixes, as it was simply a roll-up of all the fixes to that point. SP1 was essentially marketing, nothing more.

About time, they should not have let Vista get walked all over so long by Apple. It may have had a few problems at the start but now on some fronts it better than Mac OS X e.g. Update Server Up-Time, Security, etc.

Microsoft should do what Apple does.

Add some new features here and there, give it a new name, put it in a nice looking package, charge like $ 120.00 for it and advertise it as the "Most Advanced OS In The World".

That way they can leave the so devastated "Vista" name behind. :)