Windows Live Wave 3: Messenger v9

From the screenshots on here, it's the same look as the previous version. But then, I don't really see how MS can really make a big change in Messenger. Good thing there's alternatives.

eeek didn't mean to cause anger.. I've re-read it and it does come across rude so apologies for that.. But yeh as Kaboose stated, i simply meant since no-one is even supposed to have it yet we should just enjoy it for what it is.. A leaked internal build not intended for the public. If we don't like something about it, then yeh we don't have to use it because of aforementioned facts.

Apologies

eeek didn't mean to cause anger.. I've re-read it and it does come across rude so apologies for that.. But yeh as Kaboose stated, i simply meant since no-one is even supposed to have it yet we should just enjoy it for what it is.. A leaked internal build not intended for the public. If we don't like something about it, then yeh we don't have to use it because of aforementioned facts.

Apologies

i'm sorry too... friends? :rofl:

hahaha well i guess they say, all's well that ends well.. Sure thing.. Now lets get cracking back on discussion for the new messenger.. Who is keen for the 'upcoming' beta.. I'm very interested to see what they've done with WPF.

Looks like it uses WPF to me. Everything is much smooth and there are transitions, fades, ect.

If not then I have no idea.... But the font looks Anti-Aliased like a WPF app as well....

It -isn't- WPF...

I had something happen some minutes ago...

I told a friend of mine I couldn't use my Webcam because I'm using some half-working testversion of Messenger.

Immediately after my Windows Live Communications Thingy crashed (according to Vista). I went offline, but Messenger didn't close or anything. After about 10 seconds of Vista Error Fixing Magic I was signed in again and I got all the messages that were sent while I was offline.

Smooth, Microsoft, Smooth!

My bugs:

Webcam (LifeCam) doesnt work! It shows up and all but doesn't connect... (it does in WLM8.5, both installed and portable versions)

Chat windows remember their color, the contact list window doesnt.

Things I would improve:

Make an option for disabling automatic photoshare on image (printscreen) paste. I can imagine the average screenshotter losing huge loads of time due to Photoshare kicking in when the other contact doesnt have it.

And then, some things that wouldn't be Impossible to do, but they would require some coding from Microsoft's side..

Make these parts transparant with Aero:

Top-part of contact list (display picture, nick, personal message, toolbar with the mail, settings, color etc buttons)

In the conversation window: Make some sort of speech bubble around the actual conversation, and make EVERYTHING except for your speech bubble and the conversation bubble transparant.

I'm bad at PS, so I'm not making mock-ups, but I hope you get what I mean... I'm not really sure if it would look good, but it sure would fit in with Aero... Only problem would be it turning to black when you maximize..

And OH! Please, in SOME way, you must be able to force people to put their first name in their nicknames now you've removed email adresses! When people have nicknames like "Tell me why you cry, take my hand and I, wipe those tears from your eyes" it's very hard to determine who's behind it.

This build is great for me :) No crashes so far and everything works.

The . at the start of each message doesnt even annoy me...

Great job Microsoft :) with this and IE8 B2

well i'm really disappointed with new wlm build. just rework ui + few small not really waited by majority features. what they were working on last year? skin is nicest among all other im programs, no doubt, but where is tabbed chatting, icq support (for germany, russia and many other countries that doesn't use msn), x-status, auto-answering, user client info, visibility privacy etc etc etc... they will never beat icq in germany and russia without those features...

Edited by coth

• 2 weeks later...

Been using it for a while (and I'm not supposed to be :))

Anyway, its very stable - hasn't crashed once since I installed it. It does include some WPF effects, but I recon later builds will include more. I like the fact they have changed the Display Pictures/Avatars to the left-hand side, it seems more at home there.