[Mac Forum] New Apple Ads

Agreed, Apple has been steadily going down the Features over Stability route the past few years and it needs to STOP! These Ads used to be funny (Pizza one is funny).

Thank god things are going to make a real turn around after Snow Leopard :)

Funny, but I remember Coke & Pepsi going at it directly back in the day (you have to realize that I am 41, so remember things from more than just the past 5 years). And burger establishments like Wendys picking on McDonalds for leaving food under heat lamps. And Wendys again (my, they were agressive - eeevil, even ;)) picking on McDonald's Chicken McNuggets with "Pieces parts" for what was in their chicken nuggets. And again Wendys (OMG Tehy are teh evul!) whole "where's the beef?" ads picking on the other places with more bun than burger.

Ads are to generate revenue. Any ad that is deemed not truthful can be brought up to the FTC for legal/punitive action.

Haven't seen those ads, but if the pepsi one was anything to go by, their a totally different kettle of fish. Yes, their having a dig at the competition, but their not spreading a load of crap.

I have no problem with some of the apple ads (found the pizza one quite funny, and the older ones are funny too), but when it comes to directly spreading BS or over exaggerating small issues, then its too far IMO. I'm willing to bet if someone took a poll of EVERY vista user in the world, most would be happy (or not notice any problems compared to xp). Most of the complaints from vista come from beta versions, from early experiences when driver support was crappy, from having vista on a crappy computer, or from plain old rumour.

I also like how apple tries to promote how macs are fun, and PC's / Windows is for work and business, yet you need to run windows to play most games on them (although that is starting to change now, with a few new games coming out for OSX)

Haven't seen those ads, but if the pepsi one was anything to go by, their a totally different kettle of fish. Yes, their having a dig at the competition, but their not spreading a load of crap.

You mean like Evil Wendys showing competitor's burgers drying out under the heatlamps?

Surely that didn't really happen that way. Certainly not at all other fast food places.

Perhaps the concept of advertising is distasteful to you? And only 100% certified "positive vibes" can be acceptable?

There are ads that show competitors in a very harsh light. I got over it many years ago (well before you were born, according to your profile), and I am sure that you will eventually become as cynical and jaded as the rest of us are. If not, then you will be overly-sensitively jumping at every other advert. Be thankful that you aren't here in the US suffering the onslaught of political ads. Those get real ugly!

Apple makes these ads because they are really the only type of ads that work. I understand the whole they should be telling people why their product is better rational but how exactly do you do that? You can't just show a desktop and things being done on it because that means nothing to a viewer and they can't just show their product with a price like Dell because Dell only shows their cheapest PC's in those ads. The whole HP series of the computer is personal ads doesn't do anything but put the HP name out in the public as I seriously doubt it sells any product. What else is there to do? You can't show how a Mac works in an ad like the iPhone so the only thing they can do is try to get people to go and try out a Mac to see it for themselves which are the purpose of these ads.

From your blog: :trout:

What's the matter with you if you are saying you think that other models are "cheaper & better", but are still deliberating about it? Most of us with sense would get the option we felt was cheaper & better without having to publicly ponder this.

For some, Apple may not be cheaper, but better (wasn't there a thread here on Neowin where a user ended up getting his RAM and HD moved into a newer better Mac because he didn't like the washed-out quality of the screen? Immediate customer satisfaction. For him, I am sure that he feels he got his extra $200 out of the Mac right there and then.

When I bought my Macbook, there was a small price premium but it wasn't really a concern. I gladly paid it for the added style, quality, and ability to run OS X from time to time.

Now, the price premium is $500-$1000 which is absurd. My plan has been to wait and see what Apple announces next month, anticipating new models and lower prices as the current line-up is pretty dated. Especially considering that Dell now has new machines with more style, improved quality, and even better prices compared to the various Macbook/Pro/Air models.

Things like this just make me want to forget about waiting for Apple to catch up and just spring for the Dell.

Apple makes these ads because they are really the only type of ads that work. I understand the whole they should be telling people why their product is better rational but how exactly do you do that? You can't just show a desktop and things being done on it because that means nothing to a viewer and they can't just show their product with a price like Dell because Dell only shows their cheapest PC's in those ads. The whole HP series of the computer is personal ads doesn't do anything but put the HP name out in the public as I seriously doubt it sells any product. What else is there to do? You can't show how a Mac works in an ad like the iPhone so the only thing they can do is try to get people to go and try out a Mac to see it for themselves which are the purpose of these ads.

Lets not be delusional here, the purpose of these ad's is to slander their competition.

Considering that Cara works for Apple, most people probably had no idea there were new ads on the Apple website until she posted an opinion thread about them here, and everything she posts reads like it was filtered thru Apple marketing...do you honestly expect a rational explanation?

I have to admit, that post is getting a bit dry...perhaps it's time for something new?

If the ads only talked about SOMETHING, instead of the same old crap. What are the benefits of OSX, or why is a Macbook so much more expensive than a Dell or Toshiba or HP with the same specs?

Tell me something, anything - oh wait they did tell a "genius" will transfer my files for me. Should I be nervous that it takes a "genius" to transfer files for me? Is there a "genius" testings facility? Are they certified "geniuses" or just run of the mill "geniuses"? Ok, yep the "genius" thing has run it's course.

Actually, the certification and hiring process for the Genius Bar is much more extensive than the Industry Average, funny story is that I got rejected twice before moving on to bigger and better things! ;)

I used to think the Get A Mac ads were funny, but these new ones bug the hell out of me. Watching them seriously makes me want to ditch my Macbook.

Really, what changed in your mind?

You have a unique perspective that I love to hear. :)

Agreed, Apple has been steadily going down the Features over Stability route the past few years and it needs to STOP! These Ads used to be funny (Pizza one is funny).

Thank god things are going to make a real turn around after Snow Leopard :)

Off Topic : Me too. ;)

free data transfer is pretty sweet

Its part of the price people pay for their Apple system, something that is often not considered when people consider the cost. :) (Granted I think the price should be dropped a bit and then that would allow the service to be added on if needed/wanted.)

(Y) I have to say, I think you nailed advertising right on the head here. This is why I am looking forward to Microsoft's Advertising Campaign... How do you demonstrate the usability and functionality of a product as robust as Mac OS X or Windows in a 25 second clip?

I have to admit, that post is getting a bit dry...perhaps it's time for something new?

And still as true as it ever was. On a side note, ever considered bringing back the Mord' Sith avatar? Maybe put an Apple icon on the belt... ;)

Lets not be delusional here, the purpose of these ad's is to slander their competition.

I agree but my point was what else is there to do? The main advantage of the Mac is the OS but you can't show that in a commercial so you have to try give people a reason to test out a Mac even if it includes slander which I don't really like and don't even think they need to do as word of mouth is a bigger seller then a commercial could ever be.

And still as true as it ever was. On a side note, ever considered bringing back the Mord' Sith avatar? Maybe put an Apple icon on the belt... ;)

Actually, yes. ;) I recently got the High Res photo of the image I used back in the day, it might make it's appearance again someday. ;)

I just try to keep things SFW. ;)

I agree but my point was what else is there to do? The main advantage of the Mac is the OS but you can't show that in a commercial so you have to try give people a reason to test out a Mac even if it includes slander which I don't really like and don't even think they need to do as word of mouth is a bigger seller then a commercial could ever be.

Talk about the things OSX does well as opposed to focus on the things the consumer dislikes about Vista, as a lot of that is junk being restated by people who either have never used Vista, or haven't used it since release? Its ignorant and arrogant.

Don't get me wrong on this, I used to like some of these commercials before, but right now Apple's marketing seems to target all kind of ignorant, even arrogant people who makes BSOD jokes on 2008 and replies all Windows based questions from their friends by saying "oh Pista does that all the time becuz M$ is evull!!1 Why don't switch to a Mac??"

Those "Where's the Beef!" ads with Clara Peller were great, but then again, after awhile, most ads lose their effectiveness.

The problem I have with Apple, is that ever since they've gone to Intel, gone to selling more Macs, gone to the iPhone and shifted engineers around, their QC has slipped, and sometimes I feel they toss stones at glasshouses.

Leopard launch. Buggy.

iPhone FW 2.0. Buggy, and 3G issues.

MobileMe launch. Buggy.

Condensation in some iMacs, cracking 3G iPhones, cracking MacBooks, mobos failing, KB/sleep/Wifi issues in MBPs, poor TN panels in the new iMacs. It strikes me as funny, when people state how great Macs are, but then say to make sure to get the APP, or avoid Revision A, til Apple gets the bugs worked out. It's great that Apple would most often replace these computers, but their volume isn't really that high in the first place, they've barely beat out Acer in the US. For their price points, they should be better.

Vista's major problems were a year and a half ago, and they still have the problem with OEMs loading a boatload of crapware, and to most people, the bad word of mouth has turned them off. At one time, I found the "Get a Mac" ads clever, but the only people that still find them amusing are Mac users, and there is no use preaching to the choir.

+1 That's so true

Leopard launch wasn't very buggy compared to 10.4 or 10.3 launch. But as for commercial ideas to fit into 25 seconds:

Show how applications are installed and uninstalled on OS X. It's simple and a real breath of fresh air for switchers when they find out. (Ironic though that I'm showing the AppZapper dmg, hah.)

Picture%201.png

Really, what changed in your mind?

You have a unique perspective that I love to hear. :)

Check out the blog post I linked to, and the answer I gave Mark in this thread :)

I haven't decided what I'm going to buy yet to replace the Macbook. But seeing those ads this morning just made me really irritated with Apple. I've been very happy with my Macbook, but I mainly run Windows on it. All of my machines running Windows run it just great. There are some places where OS X on my Macbook really shines and has clear advantages over Windows. Start-up and shutdown time, for example - although Leopard got a lot worse versus Tiger (and I even did a clean install not an upgrade). The hardware itself has been great. But instead of focusing on these advantages, they've decided to act like bullies and pick on others to raise their own self-esteem.

Maybe I only feel this way because I'm a Windows developer, but those ads are no longer cute little jabs and instead have become hurtful, deceitful, and arrogant. I like the iPhone ads because they just show the product for what it is, and let its greatness speak for itself. That's a stark contrast to these Get a Mac ads. Perhaps Apple should take a similar tack with their Macintosh marketing, instead of these petty, dishonest attacks on the competition.

I just wish Apple would go back to a much more tasteful ad campaign such as "Think Different." It set them apart from the competition and they did it without having to attack/bash anyone else. Half of these "Get a Mac" commercials have nothing to do with Mac computers at all, and they certainly don't tell you a single thing about Leopard. Frankly, more Vista features get mentioned.

Pizza box was funny as it's not really an attack at Microsoft. It focuses more on features of Mac laptops that people want. I know finding a nice laptop with a webcam is hard.

The teas one was crap though. This idea that Windows crashes while Macs go the full 9 yards is rubbish. Here's why:

First time I saw a Mac was in like 2000, and the girl who was using it goes "Oh, damn, it's crashed, it does that a lot." Then there was my high school, who for the remanining 2 years I was there had a music room of 12 macs running 10.3.9 (PowerPC). Despite me using a PC for more of the time over those two years I still saw the Macs crash more often, be it a freeze up or the printer not working, they crashed more often. This is taking into account I ran Vista Beta2/RC1 in this time!

All your ads are saying to me is "Windows crashes a lot." I think to myself "When was the last time this PC crashed..." and then have no interest in a Mac. I then ask my friend, who isn't tech savvy when they last had trouble and they too have no issues with crashing.

Show me time machine working, show me start up times, tell me how awesome after sales support is.

I just wish Apple would go back to a much more tasteful ad campaign such as "Think Different." It set them apart from the competition and they did it without having to attack/bash anyone else. Half of these "Get a Mac" commercials have nothing to do with Mac computers at all, and they certainly don't tell you a single thing about Leopard. Frankly, more Vista features get mentioned.

I would find it more remarkable, if Apple took a small sample from their tutorial videos on Apple.com, and just showed something as basic like saving a document to a PDF, with some voice narration.

Or showing someone plugging in an new external hard disk, and starting up Time Machine to do a backup.

Alas, I think Apple is either too smug or afraid to actually tout their OS to the masses, but can only do FUD.

They don't need to respond to Apple, they just need to hire Justin Long (Mac guy) in a Vista commercial and have him act impressed at the OS. :) Don't reference the Apple ads at all, have him play an "entirely different character". It will get attention without making any statement.

They don't need to respond to Apple, they just need to hire Justin Long (Mac guy) in a Vista commercial and have him act impressed at the OS. :) Don't reference the Apple ads at all, have him play an "entirely different character". It will get attention without making any statement.

I think Microsoft usually is more "professional" in their ads and I will be surprised if they referenced Apple at all.