• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Mac Forum] New Apple Ads

redfish    580
I think Microsoft usually is more "professional" in their ads and I will be surprised if they referenced Apple at all.

It would be cool if Justin Long were in the Mojave test group anyway , not as an actor, but himself:)

Brandon Live    232

I'm pretty sure he already said he uses a Vista PC =P

-T-    671

Seems they're just furthering the misinformation about Vista. People shouldn't be dumb enough to believe everything an ad tells them. I've always felt these ads were surely a breach of some competition laws as I'm sure you're not entirely allowed to straight out bad mouth your competition in an ad, at least that's what I've been led to believe.

If every company acted in this way you'd see mcdonalds ads dissing Burger King, or nike slamming adidas. They surely don't do this for a reason.

I've been running vista since launch and have not yet had one single crash, on any of the machines i've built for it. No blue screens, no slow downs, nothing. I only turn the machine off once a month and thats usually a reboot after patch tuesday, so my uptime is pretty solid.

Like others have said, Apple should focus on their own product more in the ads, and less on the Vista bashing. Give people a reason to switch that is valid and not just ill advised and out dated opinions on a rival OS. Though try avoid getting back to the "Switcher" ads. those were awful

Cara    0
The hardware itself has been great. But instead of focusing on these advantages, they've decided to act like bullies and pick on others to raise their own self-esteem.

Not sure about this one Brandon, how can the underdog be the bully? Microsoft clearly out weighs Apple in the industry, I know I would never imply otherwise... I guess I just have to wonder since I know MS has been very guilty of bullying people in the past and I have to wonder if that wouldn't be just getting back a bit of what they gave others for Apple to pick at them...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in marketing (Despite what some people may think around here I'm far to blunt and honest) and I don't understand what they do or why the do it always, but I'd suppose that badgering your opponents into feeling pressure would be ideal as it can cause them to tip their hands early and release unfinished products or reveal things that they normally wouldn't do to attempt to counter public opinion.

Just my thoughts there. :)

As for the Actors, I think Mac uses a PC and PC uses a Mac... Sick irony there. ;)

Though try avoid getting back to the "Switcher" ads. those were awful

I don't know, Ellen Feiss was my idol. (hehe, no not really.)

I have seen samples of possible ads to follow the current 'Mac/PC' campaign and I'll be honest, they are dry and bland... I think Apple will continue to use Mac/PC until such a time as results stop coming in, keep in mind how many Apple Marketing Campaigns you've seen versus those of say...Coke or Pepsi. Their brand identity changes almost monthly in their commercials, Apple remains the same with their advertising styles for years. I feel this type of consistency also helps build the ads to a point where people listen to them since they have been hearing the same thing for so long in the same way.

markjensen    101

^^^ Apple bullies within the scope that they can. Look at iTunes and how they have dealt so firmly with the media organizations. Look at their strict terms for developers on the iPhone.

I'm not big on Microsoft's past practices to muscle out competitions. But I am certain that Apple would be just as bad, perhaps even more draconian. (reference your own point of view on how Jobs limits the varieties of Apple products to meet only the narrow types of hardware that he personally wants to see)

Cara    0
^^^ Apple bullies within the scope that they can. Look at iTunes and how they have dealt so firmly with the media organizations. Look at their strict terms for developers on the iPhone.

I'm not big on Microsoft's past practices to muscle out competitions. But I am certain that Apple would be just as bad, perhaps even more draconian. (reference your own point of view on how Jobs limits the varieties of Apple products to meet only the narrow types of hardware that he personally wants to see)

Absolutely agree on this.

If Apple was in Microsoft's place they would be stifling in handling their competition. In the fields they are Dominant they rule with an Iron Fist already, however, against Microsoft there is no way to do more than pick at MS...you can't bully someone who is a bigger bully than you and succeed.

Titoist    224

These Mac ads are dispicable. I took a business class once and the Mac ads were a prime topic of what NOT TO DO! Reasons include public bullying, defamination, law suits, etc. I bet you Apple has faced all of these concerning their ads, it just hasn't gone public because Apple is better at secrecy than the CIA.

RealFduch    11
Not sure about this one Brandon, how can the underdog be the bully? Microsoft clearly out weighs Apple in the industry, I know I would never imply otherwise... I guess I just have to wonder since I know MS has been very guilty of bullying people in the past and I have to wonder if that wouldn't be just getting back a bit of what they gave others for Apple to pick at them...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in marketing (Despite what some people may think around here I'm far to blunt and honest)

I just feel the sweety suppressive poison spreading around your "sympathizing" smile.

Some people rush away, but many flock to the sweet smell...

markjensen    101
... however, against Microsoft there is no way to do more than pick at MS...you can't bully someone who is a bigger bully than you and succeed.

Likewise, agreed. :yes:

Cara    0
These Mac ads are dispicable. I took a business class once and the Mac ads were a prime topic of what NOT TO DO! Reasons include public bullying, defamination, law suits, etc. I bet you Apple has faced all of these concerning their ads, it just hasn't gone public because Apple is better at secrecy than the CIA.

Even Apple can't hide law suits against them, filings are public knowledge.

Harlem39s Finest    0

do i have to "get a mac" to see one of those ads full of verbal diarrhoea ?

doesn't work on IE7 or FF3

.Kompressor    8

lol some real funny ones there.

best ones are

Group Therapy

Office Stress

Calming Teas

Pizza

heck they are all good. lol

dysmatik    0
Any adblocker blocking the "ads" in the url?

nope.

RPDL    0

While the advertisements may appeal to the casual and less informed public, you won't get a very positive response out of a tech community like neowin. Not only the more informed buyers are uncomfortable with the ads: Could you ever imagine someone admitting he bought a Mac because he was convinced by the TV commercials? It would be laughable. The poor taste of the advertisements do not reflect the true quality of your products. The commercials are discrediting Apple.

Although they do present some of the basic features the Macs have, the advertisements are still attack-ads. Usually I'd say this is commonplace, but Apple tries to ridicule their competition to such an impossible extent that the ads seem entirely unbelievable. Personally, they give me the feeling that Apple exists only to be an antagonist to the common computer, and that their goal is not to be a good computer vendor, but to be better than the rest.

The ads are starting to become pathetic. That is the word I was looking for. This word helps me describe someone or something who won't move forward, who holds on to what might once have been former glory, who fails to show positive aspects, and must simply depend on the criticism of others to look better.

Like a parasite, the Mac ads depend on possible (if not completely fictional) negative aspects of competitors, much to their dismay (and our annoyance). Apple has to move on.

LewisBraid    0

I personally find the Apple ads that attack Windows users rather insulting, I'm both a Windows and Mac user and I prefer to have my own opinions of the software I use with my computer - instead I?m forced to watch childish advertisements that have no true depth or meaning in their output.

Kevincvz    1
I personally find the Apple ads that attack Windows users rather insulting, I'm both a Windows and Mac user and I prefer to have my own opinions of the software I use with my computer - instead I’m forced to watch childish advertisements that have no true depth or meaning in their output.

Is someone forcing you to watch these ads? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't like the ads. Quite simply because they are not telling the truth. I do like the concept though, if it would be based on nothing but the truth. Now it just makes Apple look immature and not a very trustworthy company. I would rather buy something from a company that seems to be run by people who are grown up and all serious then from a company that makes the impression of being run by 'cool' people like 'Mac'.

Piggy    199

The ads work really well.

For Mac lovers, they just reinforce their purchasing decision, and for Mac haters it irks them so it is an effective ad either way.

Tech Star    254

I like Apple ad's, even the new ones.

Microsoft should send their own ad's out if they have a problem with it.

RAID 0    0

I don't like the ads. I was thinking about buying a iMac or Macbook, but now I'm not sure what I want.

One thing that irritates me, is the whole "Mac community" thing. Is there some place Mac people go and drink coffee and talk about Apple brotherhood? Is there land or some place where this so-called "community" lives? I don't feel my computer or hardware makes me (or anyone else) any less or any better. If you have to make a big deal about what kind of computer you have, you're nothing but a douche.

LewisBraid    0
Is someone forcing you to watch these ads? :rolleyes:

Sorry i should have stated, They're shown on TV often enough and in the Cinema...So in a sense yes ;)

Cara    0
I don't like the ads. I was thinking about buying a iMac or Macbook, but now I'm not sure what I want.

One thing that irritates me, is the whole "Mac community" thing. Is there some place Mac people go and drink coffee and talk about Apple brotherhood? Is there land or some place where this so-called "community" lives? I don't feel my computer or hardware makes me (or anyone else) any less or any better. If you have to make a big deal about what kind of computer you have, you're nothing but a douche.

The Apple, or Mac, Community is very strong as Apple users have a long standing tradition of being very helpful among other Mac users in a way rarely seen outside of the individual Linux groups.

I know some feel that their Apple equipment make them better, however as a rule the 'Apple Community' is just a the majority of Apple owners who enjoy conversing with other Apple users and helping to better the whole. There are elements that are elitist, however the majority of us prefer just to use the title Apple Community to signify the sort of family and community that we have. :)

ambiance    67

I think the ads are great and they remind me how much of an idiot I was to purchase Vista. I still use it (because I'm a sadomasochist), but will replace it when I can afford an iMac.

I can relate to the crashing aspect of 'Calming Tea'. My computer may not be slow, but it certainly crashes a lot (never did with XP) and using the sleep function is risky because there is a 50/50 chance of blue screen. I've been a lifelong PC user and I refuse to be hosed by Microsoft again.

RAID 0    0
The Apple, or Mac, Community is very strong as Apple users have a long standing tradition of being very helpful among other Mac users in a way rarely seen outside of the individual Linux groups.

I know some feel that their Apple equipment make them better, however as a rule the 'Apple Community' is just a the majority of Apple owners who enjoy conversing with other Apple users and helping to better the whole. There are elements that are elitist, however the majority of us prefer just to use the title Apple Community to signify the sort of family and community that we have. :)

That's all fine and dandy. I'm not passing judgement one way or the other. It's when people have to "preach" to me about what they use and why it's better; Mac, Windows or *nix. What people fail to mention is, "This works best FOR ME and what I DO."

I have a friend who's in a band here in Sac and he came to me for computer advice. "Jason, what kind of computer should I get?" I responded, "What are you planning to do with your computer?" G man:"I want to create music, check my email and surf the net." So I told him to get a Mac. I explained the differences between the two (XP and 10.4) and what would be best for his intended use. We went to the Apple store in Arden Mall and he bought the 20" iMac with the G5 CPU. Years later he still loves his computer. He doesn't game, he's not computer savvy and he just wanted a tool to create music and stay connected.

Sorry for feeling the need to explain that, but I believe that philosophy would work well in Apple's advertising. Show people differences, let them make the informed decision.

BajiRav    2,137
I think the ads are great and they remind me how much of an idiot I was to purchase Vista. I still use it (because I'm a sadomasochist), but will replace it when I can afford an iMac.

I can relate to the crashing aspect of 'Calming Tea'. My computer may not be slow, but it certainly crashes a lot (never did with XP) and using the sleep function is risky because there is a 50/50 chance of blue screen. I've been a lifelong PC user and I refuse to be hosed by Microsoft again.

wow that is extreme. Did you ever take efforts to investigate the BSOD or crashes? I keep my Vista desktop/laptop on sleep all the time. My uptime is usually equal to the duration between patches.

seethru    28
That's all fine and dandy. I'm not passing judgement one way or the other. It's when people have to "preach" to me about what they use and why it's better; Mac, Windows or *nix. What people fail to mention is, "This works best FOR ME and what I DO."

I have a friend who's in a band here in Sac and he came to me for computer advice. "Jason, what kind of computer should I get?" I responded, "What are you planning to do with your computer?" G man:"I want to create music, check my email and surf the net." So I told him to get a Mac. I explained the differences between the two (XP and 10.4) and what would be best for his intended use. We went to the Apple store in Arden Mall and he bought the 20" iMac with the G5 CPU. Years later he still loves his computer. He doesn't game, he's not computer savvy and he just wanted a tool to create music and stay connected.

Sorry for feeling the need to explain that, but I believe that philosophy would work well in Apple's advertising. Show people differences, let them make the informed decision.

This is exactly what should be done. Every single time I see an ad currently I just roll my eyes and don't give it a second thought.