Why did you buy a Mac?

Wickedkitten , have you always used MAC?

nope I started off with an apple in the 80s, switched to pc in 92 from a Apple IIc, used pcs until last year in march.

My fiance bought this cube in summer of 01 and I completely slagged him off for wasting his money and refused to use it for 8 months.

One day he wanted to use the pc to play Civ3 so I had to use the mac and I've been on it ever since except for a few forays back onto the pc for various games.

At the mo its upgraded with a load of things that I'm sure Apple would probably say that they don't support but oh well.

Haha, I know where you're going.

Initially I did, cause I'd been outa the loop too long but now I've settled down I don't, especially after I've been working it so hard which I couldn't really do on the iMac.

Initially I did, cause I'd been outa the loop too long but now I've settled down I don't, especially after I've been working it so hard which I couldn't really do on the iMac.

plus its oh so comfy having a pc to warm up the bedroom in the winter

ah, i see :shifty:

Oh, really. As if you didn't know the answer already you big stirrer!

:devil:

well, maybe i did and maybe i didn't :whistle:

lmfao :devil:

Because I use a Windows PC a work all day as a developer and I wanted a computer that just works at home. :D I also was attracted by the lack of viruses and the unix underpinnings. People said, why not just run linux. Linux is a great server OS but it's not ready for the desktop and it has all the annoyances of the windows interface (KDE) lus the lack of polished apps and games.

OS X has a unix shell with a Mac GUI. :)

cause the computer itself and OSX look so cool.

I'd have to agree with this. I like the stylish high tech design of the computers and the periferials (sp?)

Just that alone makes me want to buy one :p

one of my friends bought a high end g4 like 2 years ago for like $4000. i mean whats the deal of that overpriced stuff? he got a g4 500mhz mp, 1gb of ram and a 80gb hd with a gf2 mx (32mb). its really not an outraging system.

Well, it's a 1GHZ machine, cause it's Dual Proc. (Mainly because OSX manages MP systems so well)

$1,999.00 for a DP 1.25Ghz PowerMac. That's close to a 2.5Ghz machine right there.... Plus, per mhz, G4's are greater than both P4's and Athlons. So, if you wanted to use AMD's rating system, it'd be like a 3500+ or something. No, I'm not kidding. The floating point unit on a G4 blow Intel and AMD's out of the water (I dunno if Intel has broken 2 GFLOPS, whereas the G4 is like 20!). And lets not get into the more advanced OS discussion.... ;)

Rule of thumb:

APPLE COMPUTERS ARE NOT EXPENSIVE!

Agreed, I jsut bought a top of the line iMac for round 1800, cmon people, top of the line, decent, PC is atleast 2 grand....dont give me that build it yourself crap.....were talkin premade....

Neither did I when I found out that they do not support 5.1 sound , and the video cards are always behind the PC cards in speed. I think strange that a Power Mac G4 low end cost 1500.00 with no speakers and PC for a 2.00 Ghz Dell low end cost $600.00 with speakers and monitor.

then just get the dell and save 900 bucks :sleep:

to answer your question, i bought my mac because i think pc is cheap :whistle:

im getting a mac but i would totally disagree on the price range, they ARE expensive for what you get, I just think that it will be worth it.

oh and I'm getting it because i love linux but want something i can use without having to dual boot, so this is unix based and easy to use, works for me!..plus they're prettttyyyy mmmmmmmm

The one thing I've thought where they lack behind is that if I want to do a lot of gaming, I didnt think it was really possible on a mac. Whether or not there is enough power is outside of the issue. Where is the software? As far as I see, if I want to go out to the store(circuit city, best buy, software etc) and pick up the latest games for mac, it is impossible. Am I missing something? It seems to me I have to be.

im getting a mac but i would totally disagree on the price range, they ARE expensive for what you get, I just think that it will be worth it.

oh and I'm getting it because i love linux but want something i can use without having to dual boot, so this is unix based and easy to use, works for me!..plus they're prettttyyyy mmmmmmmm

yeah mac is expensive if you compare only the hardware with pc.

The one thing I've thought where they lack behind is that if I want to do a lot of gaming, I didnt think it was really possible on a mac. Whether or not there is enough power is outside of the issue. Where is the software? As far as I see, if I want to go out to the store(circuit city, best buy, software etc) and pick up the latest games for mac, it is impossible. Am I missing something? It seems to me I have to be.

well warcraft 3 comes on a hybrid cd (aka both mac and pc versions on the same cd). some other games also come like this. i wouldn't be surprised if some places didn't carry the mac versions of certain games though. check online retailers and the like.

i wonder if the latest version of sim city for mac is out in stores yet? hehe

Killer apps only available for Apple Macintosh (and it's Mac not MAC, Macintosh is not an acronym for anything):

1 - Final Cut Pro, the power of a high end Avid at the price of a low end Adobe Premiere system. Only on the Mac.

2 - iLife. An entire suite of digital suite options that all talk to each other. I can spend hours and hours and get a solution that has 1/2 the options and 1/2 the performance for PC with none of the apps talking to each other... Or I can get a macintosh with iLife and get it all included for free. Only on the Mac.

3 - FireWire 800. Did the price of your Dell computer include FireWire 800, or integrated bluetooth? You will find that once you compare Apples to Apples (no pun intended) the Macintosh prices out *very* well.

4 - And *THE* killer application... Mac OS X. When you want a toy that plays games you buy Windows. When you want a machine that has a return on investment, can be used as a business tool and has the option to game when you need some relief... You get Mac OS X. Windows does not come even close to the raw power of OS X. You just have to play with it... I can't describe it. Hit your local Apple Retail Store and just play for a few hours. Once you get over the 'it's different I don't like change' stage that everyone goes through, you'll start to see why everyone is giving Mac OS X 6 of 5 stars.

Anyhow, that's why I switched. I have the pleasure of supporting high-end Windows servers and broadcast news NT 5 (Win 2k) based systems during the day. At night I want a computer that works no questions asked. That's why I now use a Macintosh. The best part, my full time employer is moving to Mac OS X based system in the field too, so we're starting to get much better results. We're thinking of dropping Windows. DROPPING WINDOWS! I never thought I would see the day (and it may not happen... It's just talk right now).

Hope that helps,

-SD

Edited by Silver Dragon

well warcraft 3 comes on a hybrid cd (aka both mac and pc versions on the same cd). some other games also come like this. i wouldn't be surprised if some places didn't carry the mac versions of certain games though. check online retailers and the like.

i wonder if the latest version of sim city for mac is out in stores yet? hehe

it'll be released in may hopefully. :)

im getting a mac  but i would totally disagree on the price range, they ARE expensive for what you get, I just think that it will be worth it.

yeah mac is expensive if you compare only the hardware with pc.

well yea that's what im basically saying, just hardware

Ok, let's play a game...

Go price out a Dell with all the options that a macintosh has (including built in 802.11g, 400 and 800Mbps firewire, and a dual head graphics card). The Macintosh may still be a little more, but we're usually talking less than $100.00 USD. In quite a few cases the Macintosh comes in less than a Dell.

From a price standpoint you're actually getting quite a bit of bang for your buck. The difference between a Dell and a Macintosh is that you can take all those options off of your computer with Dell. In my opinion Apple does it the better way and futureproofs their computers (as well as increasing their resale value), but most consumers are dumb when it comes to finances and don't understand that. Hey, maybe that's why 98% of Americans retire with less than $30,000 (according to the 2001 stats from the Social Security administration).

Business and Finance 101 people.

-SD

First a DELL does not count as a computer thier proprietery (sp*0 architecture slows them down in many aspects. I would rather build a desktop with what I want in it that way you really get the bang for your buck . Macs are great for intense work such as digital video editing and various other things . I have winblows on a desktop , I have linux RH on a labtop and I have a mac os X and I love my mac because it raraley ever locks up but neither does my AMD system . INTel sux but thats my opinion .

:: GOT ROOT ::? :woot:

soo basicly a 1 ghz in the mac world translates into 3500+ in the pc world(using amd measuring of course) sooget a dell with a intel 3.53 Ghz in it, along with all the other goodies, and mac is about the same price, wow, Macs arn't expencive, they just LOOK expensive.