Xbox 360 HDD

He's referring to the elusive "hddss.bin" which you need to get hold of somehow. Considering it's essentially just sector data, it's debatable as to whether it's actually copyrighted by Microsoft or not, or more to the point, if it's even illegal to distribute the file. Just nobody wants to risk having Microsoft on their back.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure as long as nobody links to it or whatever, it's fine to discuss.

Also I'm pretty sure it's against rules to talk about cracking/hacking hardware.

I'm not so sure, people talk about the likes of the R4 and such all the time. I trust the mods will do their job and keep the place clean anyway.

He's referring to the elusive "hddss.bin" which you need to get hold of somehow. Considering it's essentially just sector data, it's debatable as to whether it's actually copyrighted by Microsoft or not, or more to the point, if it's even illegal to distribute the file. Just nobody wants to risk having Microsoft on their back.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure as long as nobody links to it or whatever, it's fine to discuss.

I'm not so sure, people talk about the likes of the R4 and such all the time. I trust the mods will do their job and keep the place clean anyway.

Yeah but back in the day there was an official topic how to mod the Xbox and it had to be closed too iirc. Not so much discussing the products, but more the how-to.

Anyways it was just a friendly reminder :p

That's cool, a shame but fine none the less. I still think this topic will be all right, we're not really "cracking" anything, essentially all it is is a bit of a hardware mod and a hard drive format :p

He's referring to the elusive "hddss.bin" which you need to get hold of somehow. Considering it's essentially just sector data, it's debatable as to whether it's actually copyrighted by Microsoft or not, or more to the point, if it's even illegal to distribute the file.

An illegal MP3 is also sector data, it all comes down to what kind of data those sectors have. I'm sure you can't copyright an 8-bit block with 00001000 (if you can I did it here first :)), but certainly more complex structures that deal with protection/validation can be.

An illegal MP3 is also sector data, it all comes down to what kind of data those sectors have. I'm sure you can't copyright an 8-bit block with 00001000 (if you can I did it here first :)), but certainly more complex structures that deal with protection/validation can be.

If it makes you feel any better, the file is a gargantuan 3.5kb big (or so I've been told by my friend). It's not exactly an 8bit block, but it's hardly massive =P

If it makes you feel any better, the file is a gargantuan 3.5kb big (or so I've been told by my friend). It's not exactly an 8bit block, but it's hardly massive =P

It's not really about the size, it's about the content and its inherent logic. You can probably find some old ROMs under 4K that are copyrighted.

True, like I said this whole thing is debatable and your own morals may vary on the issue, but as long as nobody outright says "get the file >>here<<" then we should be fine. So far the mods haven't disagreed and even Microsoft doesn't seem to be all that worried, so for now we can file it under the "case/system mods" category and not "piracy/cracking".

I intend to keep people up to date with my findings on the matter, in case they're interested in it themselves.

^ WTH dud I almost clicked the link :laugh: /jk

BTT, In short nomis don't do it unless you really have to in any case you might be better off buying a new or refurbished drive. Also let's just stop it here before giga comes in with his wands and close the topic down.

Haha, you didn't think I'd post the actual link, did you? ;P

Also let's just stop it here before giga comes in with his wands and close the topic down.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the big DL has already been watching this thread and if he's ok with it, then I think we're allowed to at least discuss it as long as we're careful not to mention anything illegal.

Guys, if it's really that big od an issue, buy the 120GB drive from newegg. Buy the official 120GB drive from Walmart, swap the physical 2.5" drives, return it back to Walmart, then swap the 120GB drive with the 20GB drive. Problem solved. Not that I'd ever do that or anything. But, considering you're essentially returning a fresh 120GB drive to MS, no problem right? :hmmm: :ninja:

Normally I'd agree with you, but the big DL has already been watching this thread and if he's ok with it, then I think we're allowed to at least discuss it as long as we're careful not to mention anything illegal.

While it has been very close, it has not gone overboard yet, so as long as it stays that way, it is okay.

As Kushan pointed out, direct links, etc., will not be allowed.

^ I keep forgetting DL is Mod. :laugh: :iiam:

Im honestly not sure what to make of this statement. :blink: :laugh:

I have done this mod myself, and now have a 120GB WD BEVS based HDD.

Sector 16 is the sector on the hard drive that contains all the "Microsoft" information, as well as a Microsoft logo in PNG format for those so inclined. Sector 16 is the hddss.bin file. hddss.bin contains size information. Say you backup the hddss.bin from your 20gb hard drive, then put it on your 120gb drive? You would have a 20gb drive. 120gb hddss.bin on a 120gb wd bevs = 120gb drive that works on xbox360.

I bought a 120GB WD BEVS, and then a "broken" xbox360 hard drive on eBay. Ripped out the old broken drive, put in my hddhackr'd wd bevs, and everything worked fine.

Not for the faint of heart though, as I had to manually map partitions according to a tutorial (http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Hard_Drive_Upgrade) using WinHEX. Also, non-legitimate XBOX360 drives lose XBOX1 emulation without poking and prodding, as well as backing up files from the 20gb drive.

I have done this mod myself, and now have a 120GB WD BEVS based HDD.

Sector 16 is the sector on the hard drive that contains all the "Microsoft" information, as well as a Microsoft logo in PNG format for those so inclined. Sector 16 is the hddss.bin file. hddss.bin contains size information. Say you backup the hddss.bin from your 20gb hard drive, then put it on your 120gb drive? You would have a 20gb drive. 120gb hddss.bin on a 120gb wd bevs = 120gb drive that works on xbox360.

I bought a 120GB WD BEVS, and then a "broken" xbox360 hard drive on eBay. Ripped out the old broken drive, put in my hddhackr'd wd bevs, and everything worked fine.

Not for the faint of heart though, as I had to manually map partitions according to a tutorial (http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Hard_Drive_Upgrade) using WinHEX. Also, non-legitimate XBOX360 drives lose XBOX1 emulation without poking and prodding, as well as backing up files from the 20gb drive.

Nice thanks for the info, ive been looking into doing this myself, not to keen on buying the 120gig hd @ 220$NZ

sorry but can i buy the 120gig hard drive the US, and use it here in NZ, i dont see why not! i mean all its all holding data! and hard drives work all around the world no matter the computer!,

-----

UPDATE

-----

had a look into the price and it would cost more than getting one here!

sorry but can i buy the 120gig hard drive the US, and use it here in NZ, i dont see why not! i mean all its all holding data! and hard drives work all around the world no matter the computer!,

-----

UPDATE

-----

had a look into the price and it would cost more than getting one here!

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecificati...x?ItemID=348550

tiny url.com/6zd9kc

Also, non-legitimate XBOX360 drives lose XBOX1 emulation without poking and prodding, as well as backing up files from the 20gb drive.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to go into a bit more detail about that? Is it just a case of dumping the right files in the right places or is it more complex than that?

I plan to literally copy all the files from my 20Gb and dump them onto my makeshift 120Gb drive.

i just dumped and copied the files with Xplorer360, but to be honest, I haven't tested it.

PM me so I don't forget, and I will make sure Halo 2 (only xbox game) boots on my 120gb.

It's all right, I've looked into it and there's only a little bit of additional work needed to get everything working.

For those that are so inclined, here's the gist of what you need to do for the process:

This was indeed a bit questionable. DL/quote]

Credit for this doesn't go to me, it's from another forum.

P.S. Mods: If this is "crossing the line" in terms of what we are and are not allowed to post about the subject, feel free to remove this post, but please keep the topic open so we may continue to discuss it (Behind said line of course).

Edited by DirtyLarry