Google Chrome Browser

This seems awesome and I can't wait to try...god I love the trolls that automatically go after every company that is successful. Even one that is as honest as Google, providing countless free services and fighting for issues FOR the people, such as net neutrality.

I don't mind the most unobtrusive ad's in the world that google puts out, and I don't care if they make a living as a company by recording my search habits. People don't offer all this stuff for free as a charity.

Yeah I'm hoping for that as well.

I doubt it since it is a Holiday weekend here in America... Plus they are on west coast time so thats many hours away.

Woot! Found a download URL: http://www.opera.com

I got so excited reading about all these new, innovative features, and it really is neat to finally be able to play around with this cutting edge usability. Not to mention this really snazzy new tiled website preview page.

:p

/IE user

//just can't comprehend how open source makes it A-OK to copy everyone else, but as soon as a for-profit company does something remotely similar to a competitor, they become dirty evil unoriginal copycats that don't deserve the top of the market

//just can't comprehend how open source makes it A-OK to copy everyone else, but as soon as a for-profit company does something remotely similar to a competitor, they become dirty evil unoriginal copycats that don't deserve the top of the market

Probably because open source devs share the wealth.

36.png

37.png

38.png

I think it's great, they are taking some of my favorite features from firefox, ie, and opera and outting it all into one. browsers have coped each other for AGES if no one was allowed to copy each other we would have no browsers with tabs or one click bookmarking.

I don't think people are skeptical enough of open source. Anything that is treated like the alpha and omega of sainthood in policy sets off loud alarms for me. The fact that people roll their eyes at the skepticism sets off even louder alarms. The over-the-top good naturedness the comics come across with also sets off alarms--we have a word for this, and people used to use it: patronizing.

The part that will likely become most ironic is the above pasted comic where it talks about sharing with other browsers and making all browsers better. This gets a guffaw from me, since I'm well aware that once this browser comes out and gets its niche, we'll just have another group of software cultists who sneer at every other browser and laugh if anything can even remotely be made out to look like a competitor copied something.

Remember when Firefox and Linux and Open Office were going to be 'competition' and 'good for the market' and put the pressure on MS to 'improve' their offerings? All three wound up with large percentages of their user bases flat out calling for the destruction of IE/Windows/Office. Not wanting competition, but merely a new market leader.

If anything, people should be skeptical of this holier-than-them open source attitude for fear that it's just manipulating users into supporting them toward a long-term goal of dominating the market. There's no good/evil in business. Only success and bankruptcy.

I'm interested to see what's it like.

As for free, open source software, I think one thing a lot of people forget is that eventually somewhere down the line, somebody has to foot the bill. Whether it's Google's search algorithms providing it with the search war chest it has today that can finance projects such as Chrome, or the typical programmer/developer who codes open-source software on a computer purchased with the paycheck he receives from his closed-source development job.

I don't think people are skeptical enough of open source. Anything that is treated like the alpha and omega of sainthood in policy sets off loud alarms for me. The fact that people roll their eyes at the skepticism sets off even louder alarms. The over-the-top good naturedness the comics come across with also sets off alarms--we have a word for this, and people used to use it: patronizing.

The part that will likely become most ironic is the above pasted comic where it talks about sharing with other browsers and making all browsers better. This gets a guffaw from me, since I'm well aware that once this browser comes out and gets its niche, we'll just have another group of software cultists who sneer at every other browser and laugh if anything can even remotely be made out to look like a competitor copied something.

Remember when Firefox and Linux and Open Office were going to be 'competition' and 'good for the market' and put the pressure on MS to 'improve' their offerings? All three wound up with large percentages of their user bases flat out calling for the destruction of IE/Windows/Office. Not wanting competition, but merely a new market leader.

If anything, people should be skeptical of this holier-than-them open source attitude for fear that it's just manipulating users into supporting them toward a long-term goal of dominating the market. There's no good/evil in business. Only success and bankruptcy.

You know, you are so right. HOW DARE Firefox and Opera drive IE to actually trying to meet web standards where we no longer have those cool websites that look like crap in every other browser. DAMN Open Office for that stupid open document format that would make it where people could actually share docs freely. PATHETIC Linux having better security than Windows, making it where the majority of webservers run Linux.

But on the flip side of that coin: There's already a billion linux distros. What's one more?

To each their own... that's the beauty of it.

well, personally I just don't see any need for another Linux distro, at the same time I also don't see any need to be against it. Just like you said, what's one more? :p I just don't find the urge to need one or against one, even if it's from Google :p

Something we will probably never see Microsoft say.

post-258286-1220326471_thumb.png

but then there's also the old saying, "the more interest involved, the less trustworthy" :p

Indeed, I for one am quite tired of the ubiquitous "open source excuse" surrounding Firefox. Like I've mentioned somewhere else last time, it reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's famous line of "What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? For heaven's sake mankind, it's only four light years away you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout" :p I wonder if any of those who have told people "it's open-source so it's secure because if not, you can look through the source-code yourself and change it", have really examined the source-code line by line themselves.

well, and they scream at competitions copying their features when supposedly they want the competitions to have better browsers too (but without implementing any nice features that they have come up first because it's "stealing").

This seems awesome and I can't wait to try...god I love the trolls that automatically go after every company that is successful. Even one that is as honest as Google, providing countless free services and fighting for issues FOR the people, such as net neutrality.

I don't mind the most unobtrusive ad's in the world that google puts out, and I don't care if they make a living as a company by recording my search habits. People don't offer all this stuff for free as a charity.

How about when they cooperate with the Chinese government pigs to censor the internet? Didn't they have a motto of "do no evil"? (even if they claim it's "necessary evil" in this case)

You know, you are so right. HOW DARE Firefox and Opera drive IE to actually trying to meet web standards where we no longer have those cool websites that look like crap in every other browser. DAMN Open Office for that stupid open document format that would make it where people could actually share docs freely. PATHETIC Linux having better security than Windows, making it where the majority of webservers run Linux.

First Opera is not open-source at all.

And when IE8 tries to meet web standards, somehow some Firefox fans (and Opera fans too, sadly but true) keep saying it's breaking the web so it's shooting at their own foot. And Firefox evangelists are often the first to whine about other browsers "stealing" their good ideas and implementing their own, when they are supposedly all for better browser competitions.

Oh, and all those Linux vs. BSD vs. GNU infighting. All those RMS vs. Linus Torvalds bickering.

Open-source is good, but it also has its ugly side.

^ This is you missing my point. ^

Anyone know the link to where it will be available, im sure it will be on neowin's main page..

I'm sure when it does, you'll find it everywhere on the net and blogosphere :D

This is EXACTLY what I said months ago: The future of web, among other things, its UNIFICATION.

If done well this will be my default browser in the future.

Also, it looks sexy :D

make that super sexy and crisp :)

hope it can be fully themeable and customizeable too.

there are already Firefox fans complaining about it not sticking to the Windows UI guidelines.

Except google embraces open source.

except in its flagship product that makes the most money : the search engine. ;)

BTW, I'm really interested to see how V8 will compare to SquirrelFish performance-wise, and how well V8 will fare at Acid3 :)