Google Chrome Browser

or you could just disble the indexing service, something I'm sure the google dekstop search installer would be quite capable of, if you absolutely wanted to replace instant search wth somethign inferior.

Oddly enough, there is no search bar in the services panel, and while the indexing service is easy to spot in English installations of windows vista, good luck GUESSING the bloody translation in other languages.

Oddly enough, there is no search bar in the services panel, and while the indexing service is easy to spot in English installations of windows vista, good luck GUESSING the bloody translation in other languages.

I wasn't aware that services changed name between localized versions of the OS.

and anyway it's besides the point since my point was that the GDS installed would be able to turn of the indexing service. and the search box in the start menu have allways been cheangeable to a custom desktop search provider. It was only the button that wasn't and that google whined about getting removed.

still why would you install GDS over instant search anyway. GDS doesn't have the no overhead realtime indexing of files that instant has, and it doesn't have nearly as good algorithms. Google is good at web searc and that's just due to the algorithm that checks the accuracy of the hit based on other peoples searches (wich while it was what made Google great is what'sruingin it now by the serice becoming a dinosaur with too much info giving inaccurate hits opared to newer algoritms used by ohter service, but with less index pages holding them bak).

Either way the whole Google whine was pointless, and I'm still not sure that search is a feature that google should be able to claim should be changeable on an OS anyway, it's a fairly core part of the OS. especially instant search engine wich can be used by any windows app if the coder wishes. I you are to make that whole system modular enough for the whole search engine to be replaced and any app that use instant search to use some slapped on third party search instead. that Means you'll need to add a lot of abstractions and extra code layers for said other third party searches to plug in. Wich will slow things down.

There are valid criticism for what isn't core parts of an OS, Moviemaker, for example, that'd be a valid complaint, noone is though. Search, a browser and mediaplayer are not valid complaints.

Ah damn, I thought it was 11 am PST... well, another ~45min isn't too bad. ;)

Let's see if Google can show Mozilla a thing or two about serving up a new browser download.

(I know it's not the same, relax, don't flame me :p)

Google needs to finish their products. They start something and don't update it or finish it and now they want to start another project? A browser? They haven't even polished the Google Talk application nor updated its GUI in God knows how long. Gmail has been in Beta for years. Google Talk is awesome and they should put more effort on it. Gmail needs a bit of improvement on the UI. I hope that browser is as good as the rest of the stuff they have made. They have some tough competition out there when it comes to browsers.

Two different things, really. The search bar in Start menu doesn't have the same advanced search options as "Start + F". It's more like a "run" ("Start + R") option.

However, at the bottom of the returned search results, it has two links: "Search everywhere" and "Search the Internet". Clicking the former takes you to the same window as pressing 'Start+F" would, with the results already in. Anyway, my point is that without allowing a third-party indexing engine, the presence or absence of a dedicated button really makes no difference. And what's more, with a built-in desktop search/indexing engine which does a decent job, I wouldn't ever bother with experimenting with 3rd party products. Now, if there was nothing built-in, I could have chosen Google's engine though. Actually, I used to have Copernic desktop search on my old WinXP computer.

Bah, I'm not interested; I have enough browsers as it is. And as a web developer, I already have three major browsers to build for; I don't need another; I already don't bother building for Safari, this will just end up being on that list too (at least until the next major redesign, I s'pose). I'm much more interested IE8 or Opera 10, personally. ^_^

Bah, I'm not interested; I have enough browsers as it is. And as a web developer, I already have three major browsers to build for; I don't need another; I already don't bother building for Safari, this will just end up being on that list too (at least until the next major redesign, I s'pose). I'm much more interested IE8 or Opera 10, personally. ^_^

But it uses WebKit... frankly, as a web developer, you should be getting as many people to use such a browser as possible, no?