NHL 2008-2009 Season

05_NHL_Shield.png

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_NHL_season

Schedules: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...bseasonSchedule

With training camps approaching fast, I thought I'd make this thread.

The opening season game will be held in Prague, CZ (Tampa bay Lightning vs New York Rangers). The second game of the day will be held in Stockholm, SE (Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators). This is a move to increase the NHL's presence world wide.

The Winter Classic will be held on January 1st, 2009 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, IL.

It's been a very busy trading year for many teams, I can't wait to see how this season pans out!

Fearless Prediction:

Toronto will suck.

I miss the late 90's to pre-lockout era. That was when I was excited to see the Blue and White.

Whats the deal with Sundin?

I miss the late 90's to pre-lockout era. That was when I was excited to see the Blue and White.

Whats the deal with Sundin?

Hopefully he will retire. It's not that I don't like him but he'll be good enough to get us into 9th or 10th place (again). I'd rather just come last for a few years and get it over with. At least then we'd have some picks.

9th spot is the ultimate loser spot. You miss the playoffs and you get a mediocre pick.

They should have thrown that last 20 games of the season to get the top draft seed *cough* just like the lightning!

Nothing like winning home games then throwing every away game in the 3rd period. At least we got Stamkos. You guys should see the billboards and signs around Tampa, tons of "Seen Stamkos" and lightning advertising.

yeah.. Tampa practically tanked the last few games.. oh well they'd be pretty interesting to watch this season, assuming Stamkos is in the line up. Leafs-wise.. there's a press conference tommorow regarding Mats Sundin around 11am. So I don't really know what would happen. But this year for the leafs, they are pretty much cleaned of the old and in with the new. The oldest guys I'd say is Kaberle and Blake. So it's not too bad age wise. Talent wise? no idea till the season starts.

Fearless Prediction:

Toronto will suck.

Being a Leafs fan this is a year where I hope they suck really bad. #1 in next years draft will be a franchise player. I can only hope management doesn't try to win this year.

Yay I can't wait for this season! It's seemed like an eternity since I saw the Canucks play. I just hope we make the playoffs this year :)

Hopefully he will retire. It's not that I don't like him but he'll be good enough to get us into 9th or 10th place (again). I'd rather just come last for a few years and get it over with. At least then we'd have some picks.

9th spot is the ultimate loser spot. You miss the playoffs and you get a mediocre pick.

+1

We need Tavares or at least a top 5 pick for the next couple seasons.

I have a strong feeling that Sundin will retire, I think he would have taken one of the many offers on the table already if he was going to play. I guess time will tell though..

I have a strong feeling that Sundin will retire, I think he would have taken one of the many offers on the table already if he was going to play. I guess time will tell though..

I agree :)

I really hope Sundin comes to Vancouver for one year. I'm sure that we could easily get into the playoffs with a core consisting of two of the best players in the game. Luongo and Sundin. I'd imagine that having Sundin in the locker room would benefit the Sedin twins with there consistency and there game in general.

With Joseph back I wouldn't exactly say the Leafs are a last placed team. This team is very similiar to the team that used to have a deep drive into the playoffs year after year - that is if Sundin returns to Toronto, if not they probably won't come close to the post-season picture. Which would be odd because it's clear Toronto didn't want him before (think trading deadline), and were willing to trade him for players.

Team to watch out this year could be Vancouver. We've made a couple of moves and if Sundin comes here, the Canucks will be a team not to mess with. Luongo has to be great all year considering he didn't play so well late last year, and I'm sure he will be back to 100% form.

I really hope he comes to Vancouver too, and I thought he would at one point, but now I don't think he will.

It could be that he doesn't want to play in the West coast and the travel schedule is too much. In the East it's a cakewalk, you could drive your family car to a lot of their games. The other reason I believe is that the West is very physical and you have a war every night. He's used to flying down the ice without as much contact, he is pretty old maybe he worries that he could get hurt in the West.

It's all speculation but I'm sure he's at least thought about those factors, even if he says he hasn't starting thinking about the offers when he speaks to the press.

Yeah, from a hockey standpoint he would I think be better of playing for Vancouver then Toronto. He would actually have a supporting lineup that has a legitimate chance to make a run into the playoffs, while in Toronto he would be playing for a team about to go through a rebuilding phase.

I can see him playing in a city like Detroit, especially with there luring swede lineup he'd fit right in there too. I don't think Sundin will play in Montreal, it just wouldn't make sense. It's obviously not the money he wants, so all the teams are at a pretty much level battle field to acquire him.

I think Gillis made a great move in offering him such a great deal. If he were to come, it would in my opinion be very similar to when the Canucks acquired Luongo and became a better team in every aspect.

I just hope he doesn't drag it on into the season like Selanne or Neidermayer (sp?) did.

GO HABS! It is nice to finally be coming off a great season, although their playoffs left a lot to be desired. With the additions of Laraque and Tanguay I am pretty pumped though. Sundin could be good too, but i won't be dissapointed when it doesn't happen.

I really hope Sundin comes to Vancouver for one year. I'm sure that we could easily get into the playoffs with a core consisting of two of the best players in the game. Luongo and Sundin. I'd imagine that having Sundin in the locker room would benefit the Sedin twins with there consistency and there game in general.

With Joseph back I wouldn't exactly say the Leafs are a last placed team. This team is very similiar to the team that used to have a deep drive into the playoffs year after year - that is if Sundin returns to Toronto, if not they probably won't come close to the post-season picture. Which would be odd because it's clear Toronto didn't want him before (think trading deadline), and were willing to trade him for players.

Team to watch out this year could be Vancouver. We've made a couple of moves and if Sundin comes here, the Canucks will be a team not to mess with. Luongo has to be great all year considering he didn't play so well late last year, and I'm sure he will be back to 100% form.

Sundin will not be in Vancouver. With his family established in the east, along with the way he refused to be traded last trading deadline, it would be difficult to see him elsewhere, and a slap in the face to Leafs fans. I know, the Vancouver media has whipped everyone into a frenzy guaranteeing it, but Vancouver is still as much a longshot as Montreal. He'll either return to Toronto, or retire. More likely, he may retire and decide to come back to Toronto. It's obviously not about the money, or else he would be in Vancouver already.

Vancouver isn't looking that great, either. Other than Demitra (who may likely be a bust), the only thing the team has done this summer is assemble the greatest team of checking centres ever seen. They have little offence. The Sedins are nice, but they do not make a premier first line. A good one, but not among the best. From there, it drops off immediately for forwards. You will see many defensive games in Vancouver. Luongo is a great goaltender, and the defence is pretty good, but the team is worse off from last year, when they did poorly.

I actually think we're better off than last year, now that we can have a proper captain. A Canadian one (I'm sure they will give the 'C' to Willie Mitchell)

I think the C belongs on a player like Ohlund. He's been a rock solid wall back there for so long and it's time he was rewarded. If Sundin comes here I'm sure he will be the captain.

GO HABS! It is nice to finally be coming off a great season, although their playoffs left a lot to be desired. With the additions of Laraque and Tanguay I am pretty pumped though. Sundin could be good too, but i won't be dissapointed when it doesn't happen.

Indeed we got a pretty good team we don't care if he join us or not we can win without him but of course it will be another good asset.

This Year is "The Year" for Montreal ;)

Go Habs Go !can't wait to see them in action :D!