Wii Hacked To Run Copied Game Discs (without Modchip)

Hard proof's still thin on the ground with this one, so exercise caution, but it all looks reasonably solid. The clip above introduces the (not quite ready for release) Wii Backup Loader. Run from the Homebrew Channel, it lets you load modified ISO files on a DVD, so they'll play on your Wii. Or, yeah, to use less innocent-sounding terminology, it'll load pirated Wii games, so they'll play on your Wii.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5050343/wii-hacked-to-ru...pied-game-discs

Bad news for Nintendo this one.

All you need to get installed is the Homebrew Channel which just requires a copy of Zelda. No modchips/hardware modifying.

Looks like the Wii is going the way of the PSP on the piracy/homebrew side of things....

You can follow progress on GBATemp - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=104722

(No the above site doesn't contain anything illegal, and posting anything on NW will be against the rules as well)

I've been using the homebrew channel to run homebrew for a while now. Apparently Waninkoko figured out a way to run game backups (assuming the story ends up being true). It was (is) only a matter of time....

....Oh and it figures that this is the first thing I see posted on neowin about the homebrew channel.

Edited by Ned

I've been using the homebrew channel to run homebrew for a while now. Apparently Waninkoko figured out a way to run game backups (assuming the story ends up being true). It was (is) only a matter of time....

....Oh and it figures that this is the first thing I see posted on neowin about the homebrew channel.

There has been topics posted about the Homebrew channel in the past, this isn't the first.

As for the news, awesome. I may just buy a Wii this xmas again for this :p. Do you need a certain version of Zelda to do the homebrew hack?

Zelda: Twilight Princess

apparently you just need that game, and an SD card.

Im sure its simple enough to google the instructions :)

What this does mean is no more risking a scratched Supper smash brothers brawl disk, that disks a BITCH for going wrong.

Nope. I believe Nintendo went the other way and tried patching it using a firmware update for the Wii instead and that has been patched now too. It is very simple. Took about 5 minutes to do.

I only did the homebrew channel the other day and now i am addicted to quake. I think the rumours are that we'll see this released in a couple of weeks.

I know it's talking about TP, but I mean does it need an unpatched release of the game. See those serial codes on the spine of the box? Those actually mean something :p

Edit: Awesome thanks for the info Lingwo

I know it's talking about TP, but I mean does it need an unpatched release of the game. See those serial codes on the spine of the box? Those actually mean something :p

I actually don't know if TP was patched?

I'll get back to you.

It wasn't patched. Nintendo attempted to fix the problem with a firmware update (3.3) but they have got round that now too. I dunno if i can post a link to all the info/tutorial for it because it is probably a slightly grey area in the rules. The article doesn't mention at all about a certain version of TP, just that you need to have played the game at least once.

Firmware 3.3 still causes a few headaches with some homebrew stuff.

However there's a downgrader out there anyway to take you back to 3.2 which is what most people in the homebrew scene are using.

if you arent gonna play the whole game, just rent it then?

once you install the homebrew channel once, you wont need zelda again... everything can be done via that channel, and most (if not all) breweries are specifically using the channel.

anyway, just sent off my wii last week to get the laser fixed cos i bought SSBB from Morrisons the other day for ?15...

i wonder what they'll think when they see the Homebrew channel on my system, especially in the light of this new and unfortunate news. on the other hand, it gives some people the chance of experiencing Anubis II and Ninjabread Man without the regret of actually purchasing it at full price.

anyway, some of the homebrew is definately better than the games out there... Mahjongg actually keeps me occupied between bouts of Metroid Prime Echoes (almost finished it!) and Tanks!

(No the above site doesn't contain anything illegal, and posting anything on NW will be against the rules as well)

I fail to see how it could be against Neowin rules considering they allow Hackintosh discussions.

Waninkoko abandons Wii ISO loader due to leak

The creator of the recently leaked Wii ISO loader has put up a message that he has abandoned the project due to the leak. His website reads "Congratulations! I don't care about who leaked Backup-Loader but now it's OFFICIALLY an abandoned project. Enjoy it."

Whoever this Waninkoko person is, they are a selfish prick.

Eh no.

Read up on the Wii scene and educate yourself on what "this person" has brought to us so far.

Then read the forums about the leak, enough little kids running around screaming to make you cry.

he gives it out to anyone who emails him then starts crying when someone leaks it, he shouldnt have expected random people on the internet to keep it internal for 2-3 weeks. tbh i dont see what the big deal is its not like fitting a wii chip is hard work now (no more soldering multiple wires) you can buy a wiiclip with presoldered chip for reasonable prices and they are supposed to be very easy to fit, loading of "backups" or games from other regions is probably much more reliable with a decent chip as well

Eh no.

Read up on the Wii scene and educate yourself on what "this person" has brought to us so far.

Then read the forums about the leak, enough little kids running around screaming to make you cry.

I know about the Wii Scene, and I know all about his work, hell I've used it quite frequently, but the fact is that this is the internet, pretty much everything gets leaked. You can't trust some 'beta' tester that's on your IM list and not know that it's going to be leaked.

Furthermore, I am not one of those whinging whiny people who cares if it gets released or not, the fact is that if for say Microsofts next Windows version got leaked and they just put out a big statement saying that they are not developing anymore because of a leak is stupid.

So this person is a selfish prick for building something for the wide scene community, and for some person to leak it, and him not carrying it on further. My guess is that he got stuck in the development process due to a major but in his IOS37 program. Did you read about that then?

But of course he is going to keep developing as much as he can though in my opinion. The Wii scene just has to cool down, and their attitude has to cool down aswell.

he gives it out to anyone who emails him then starts crying when someone leaks it, he shouldnt have expected random people on the internet to keep it internal for 2-3 weeks. tbh i dont see what the big deal is its not like fitting a wii chip is hard work now (no more soldering multiple wires) you can buy a wiiclip with presoldered chip for reasonable prices and they are supposed to be very easy to fit, loading of "backups" or games from other regions is probably much more reliable with a decent chip as well

Exactly, and yes I think it's easier to get a modchip, but the fact is that a softmod is much easier for some people. Hell, there is even some people testing out a Wii drive modification using a serial device connected to their PC.

I know about the Wii Scene, and I know all about his work, hell I've used it quite frequently, but the fact is that this is the internet, pretty much everything gets leaked. You can't trust some 'beta' tester that's on your IM list and not know that it's going to be leaked.

Furthermore, I am not one of those whinging whiny people who cares if it gets released or not, the fact is that if for say Microsofts next Windows version got leaked and they just put out a big statement saying that they are not developing anymore because of a leak is stupid.

So this person is a selfish prick for building something for the wide scene community, and for some person to leak it, and him not carrying it on further. My guess is that he got stuck in the development process due to a major but in his IOS37 program. Did you read about that then?

But of course he is going to keep developing as much as he can though in my opinion. The Wii scene just has to cool down, and their attitude has to cool down aswell.

I still don't understand how someone who makes free stuff, and has released a lot is selfish?

Maybe the guy is up himself a little for the no doubt "God like" status he's receiving by the scene, but if someone leaks his work on a small handed project (comparing this to a MS leak is ridiculous), and he gets ****ed off, it's understandable to an extent.

An unfinished loader getting out starts the spewing of immature comments from 14 year olds like "OMG ZUPER SMASH BROTHERZ DOESNT PLAY HELP ME?!11111" or "THIS LODERZ DOESNT WORK RIGHT, IT SUX!".

Just give it time, maybe he'll change his mind and/or others will carry on the work.

But to go around bitching at the guy because he's claiming for now a bit of code, with the only purpose to illegally play games, isn't being released properly, makes you sound like a desperate little pirate :laugh: (not necessarily aimed at you personally that comment, just anyone actually getting angry/worked up about this)

I still don't understand how someone who makes free stuff, and has released a lot is selfish?

Maybe the guy is up himself a little for the no doubt "God like" status he's receiving by the scene, but if someone leaks his work on a small handed project (comparing this to a MS leak is ridiculous), and he gets ****ed off, it's understandable to an extent.

Thats what I was getting at about the 'God like' status.

An unfinished loader getting out starts the spewing of immature comments from 14 year olds like "OMG ZUPER SMASH BROTHERZ DOESNT PLAY HELP ME?!11111" or "THIS LODERZ DOESNT WORK RIGHT, IT SUX!".

Yeah, reading GBAtemp just gave me a big headache.

Just give it time, maybe he'll change his mind and/or others will carry on the work.

Like I said, most likely this will happen.

But to go around bitching at the guy because he's claiming for now a bit of code, with the only purpose to illegally play games, isn't being released properly, makes you sound like a desperate little pirate :laugh: (not necessarily aimed at you personally that comment, just anyone actually getting angry/worked up about this)

I know, and I wasn't complaining or bitching, or getting up you either. For one, I'm really happy playing my WiiDoom :D The Homebrew Channel is the best channel so far :rofl:

Well it sounds like he might be back.

Talking to fellow developer Hermes, author of Guitarfun and Wiiengine, Waninkoko explains what got him so riled up (thanks to the translation from TehSkeen):

Waninkoko

It wasn't the leak what ****ed me off the most, but all the people downloading it, sharing it, making tutorials, and such. I recognize that 50% of that is my fault and... i think i'm gonna reconsider the cancelation (well, the bit about making it public because canceled it's not XD).

Hermes

Erm, i'm sorry to say, but i'll just give you two collejas XD . It is something that you should be VERY careful and not give away anything that carries your nick/name to ANYONE, not even the cat c'mon, that can give you trouble. Above all, it is your fault XD

As the post states, waninkoko is fortunately reconsidering coming back to the project, although I doubt he'll be sharing his codes with anyone anymore once he does.

So basically he's annoyed at the scene for doing the same old thing it's been doing all this time - downloading leaked stuff and writing FAQs/tutorials about it. I mean come on, what does he expect?