AMD Fusion (gaming optimizer)

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1

"Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, the AMD Fusion for Gaming utility helps achieve the performance edge previously only available to highly technical enthusiasts. It works by temporarily shutting down background processes and intensifying processor performance with AMD Boost. That means you can keep all the features of Microsoft? Windows Vista? ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business ? gaming."

http://www.istartedsomething.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fusionsetup.jpg[/imThis will only work with AMD hardware. I also wrote up a small article about this and put it on the Gamers News Section - Frank.

Edited by Frank

We saw this back in June when we were at AMD but were told it was under NDA. They are also looking at how this can help battery life performance of their laptops as well.

It is a simple task that many people have done for eons. I am surprised none of the big boys have thought about it until now.

Goodness Frank, I was about a split second away from killing that bug in your sig before I realized what it was. I could of ruined my monitor. ;)

Lol, me too :)

Goodness Frank, I was about a split second away from killing that bug in your sig before I realized what it was. I could of ruined my monitor. ;)

I had a real bug on my monitor trying to mate with it. Not pretty! :woot:

Same here, I get that alot at night...damn gnats.

Anyway, I'm using it at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be very effective on a 3 year old laptop playing 5 year old game :/

yeah this is something which should be intergrated into windows itself, like how vista has alot of features which were 3rd-party on xp, so maybe the next windows could have this built in, like some 'game mode' or something

Doesn't Asus also do this with its 6 engine program?

No. They control the fans speed, cpu clock, fsb, northbridge voltage, gpu clock, hdd, and other things. Basically when u aren't doing much everything is clocked down if on auto, on default settings it overclocks ur cpu 3% if you cpu usage goes up for a while. It works quite well, they don't shutdown antivirus, firewalls, and other stuff.

Despite the plethora of sites out there instructing people how to turn off needless services to increase gaming performance, I'm still waiting for somebody to put up actual, real-world gains (eg, before vs after).

Otherwise, if I have to go through the hassle of shutting down dozens of different services and shutting down apps before launching a game (and then undo that after), or reboot a PC, only to gain an extra couple FPS, then it's not worth it IMO.

Well, it is by AMD, why would it work on Intel?

Because the processor the applications and services are running on, got nothing to do with closing them and then re-opening them with this application (that is made by AMD)?