Dark Knight Sequel

I thought I would start a new thread for the maybe 3rd movie in the Nolan era of Batman purely because we can leave the other thread to be about Dark Knight so lets start off with some more rumours!

I was told by someone who is, well, ?in the know? that there just might be something to all these rumors. According to him, there?s been mention of something going down around February of 2009 in Chicago. He chalks it up as rumor, but noted that the similarity to yesterday?s report on BOF was interesting. And just like that previous report, this buzz is coming from various folks who had worked on BATMAN BEGINS, THE DARK KNIGHT, or both.

Something that made me raise an eyebrow was that one of the sources who contributed to yesterday?s news told BOF, ?[What I?m hearing from crew members out of Chicago] is that ?BATMAN 3? goes into pre-production in February to shoot next summer.? I didn?t include the February 2009 bit previously, but with two totally unrelated and trustworthy individuals making specific mention of that date, I thought it was worth passing it on to you all.

Now, I do not think that a third BATMAN will actually begin filming next February, but I do think that if all this is indeed true (and I have no reason not to believe it based on whom it is coming from), pre-production in some capacity just might be commencing early next year.

Oh yeah, it surely doesn?t hurt that the state of Illinois is hoping to make it financially easier for Hollywood to film in Chicago.

[Source]

February? That's just four months away. Isn't Nolan tied up with taking time off and other projects in the near future that aren't Batman?

I can't see Nolan able to start filming Batman 3 by next summer, I'm sure he has other films on the plate as does Bale of course (T4!). And the only reason they would fast track this is because TDK has made more money than most countries in a year. If they do fast track it, it might turn out bad so they should take their time with it. I'd say 2010 or 2011 would be fine for a release.

I can't see Nolan able to start filming Batman 3 by next summer, I'm sure he has other films on the plate as does Bale of course (T4!). And the only reason they would fast track this is because TDK has made more money than most countries in a year. If they do fast track it, it might turn out bad so they should take their time with it. I'd say 2010 or 2011 would be fine for a release.

Isn't T4 almost done filming? If they are releasing trailers, I am guessing it's in the editting stage.

If they started preproduction in Feb., filming in summer, the release would probably be in 2010 :p

-Spenser

Isn't T4 almost done filming? If they are releasing trailers, I am guessing it's in the editting stage.

T4 was just an example I added, I don't know Bale's slate of movies but I assume he's working on more than just T4 :)

If they started preproduction in Feb., filming in summer, the release would probably be in 2010 :p

-Spenser

Yeah but I'm talking about a release in November 2010 or June or whatever 2011. Plus if they rush the script, that's the problem.

Yea, seems too early for anything major. It would be nice to see them getting back to the table earlier. I'm eager to hear the casting this time around after the success of TDK.

Johnny Depp for The Joker joker_dc.gif

They won't recast the Joker they will reference him as to being in the asylum but they won't recast him out of honour.

They won't recast the Joker they will reference him as to being in the asylum but they won't recast him out of honour.

Is that a fact? Can you link to a source?

I doubt Hollywood will kill of The Joker just because Heath Ledger has died.

No but can you see them honestly recasting the Joker, everyone will be judging the actor against Heath Ledger which wouldn't be right plus its doubtful he will stick with the same enemies if Johnny Depp will be anything he will be the Riddler seeing as atm the massive buzz is the Riddler and Penguin for the next movie.

Time for me to chill-pill2.gif.

IMO Johnny Depp would make a great Joker. Moving right along, the Riddler - great character. But I can't really think of any of the 'stock Hollywood actors' who could the character justice.

What ever the villian may be, I hope they keep the same trend with the movie titles. Dark Knight was the first batman movie to not have the word "Bat" in it. To me, it made the movie more than a Batman movie. Which in essence it was. They should try to keep that going.

ughh.. i would hate to see the johnny depp as riddler rumors be true. sure, he's a great actor, but that to me seems like a publicity move rather than casting the right actor for whatever role. knowing that just his presence would put "asses in seats"

i'd like to see them hit some characters they didn't in the previous four movies. so many awesome batman villians. mad hatter would be great. man bat, too. but penguin, if done correctly, would also be good. devito played him great, but he was too raw and disgusting. he needs to be more of a gentleman really.

Here''s my idea-

Assuming the Riddler and the Penguin were the villians, they need to be a bit redefined. I think the Riddler should be a Zodiac Killer of sorts. Leaving cryptic clues behind at crimes/murders. This will bring out the detective side of Batman that we haven't seen. I think the best actor available to portray this would be Ralph Fiennes. He can do sinister.

As for the Penguin, they need to stray from the DeVito character as he simply would not fit in the Nolan universe. He needs to return to his roots. a business man that was teased as a kid (didn't even like to be referred to as the penguin. IMO, this would be an excellent opportunity to bring in a new mob boss. Penguin as the new boss, uniting the families.

Here''s my idea-

Assuming the Riddler and the Penguin were the villians, they need to be a bit redefined. I think the Riddler should be a Zodiac Killer of sorts. Leaving cryptic clues behind at crimes/murders. This will bring out the detective side of Batman that we haven't seen. I think the best actor available to portray this would be Ralph Fiennes. He can do sinister.

As for the Penguin, they need to stray from the DeVito character as he simply would not fit in the Nolan universe. He needs to return to his roots. a business man that was teased as a kid (didn't even like to be referred to as the penguin. IMO, this would be an excellent opportunity to bring in a new mob boss. Penguin as the new boss, uniting the families.

Both great ideas, and you're 100% right about Fiennes.

It has been done before... They recasted The Oracle in the third Matrix film after the original actress passed away. Personally, I doubt they'll do this for Batman 3, but iti sn't unheard of. ^_^

Personally...I want ot see Christopher Lee as Mr. Freeze (based off the animated show's version of the character, not the cheesy early comic versions of him). I also thought Edward Norton as The Riddler would be very interesting too... :D

ughh.. i would hate to see the johnny depp as riddler rumors be true. sure, he's a great actor, but that to me seems like a publicity move rather than casting the right actor for whatever role. knowing that just his presence would put "asses in seats"

As I said, Ed Norton could be a great Riddler, especially for the Zodiac Killer-type someone said. I was thinking something like that too; a cross between that and the better comic incarnations (a man with chronic quilt over his own brilliance).

While watching the WATCHMEN footage (which by the way, I can't even begin to tell you how awesome and mind blowing it was, but more on that later) during a press event put on by Warner Brothers.

I ran into a few executives and friends who I hadn't seen in a bit and got a few updates to share!

After the footage screened and a Q&A with director Zack Snyder, a cocktail reception was held on the lot where I got some goodies on upcoming WB properties!

First up, Batman. There have been rumors making the internet rounds this week basically saying that the third Chris Nolan Batman film had entered into pre-production and was looking for crew members. A WB exec told me directly that another Batman film is not in pre-production and is not getting ready to shoot. Not at all. We were told this rumor is total BS and that Nolan just got back from vacation and while WB is keen (duh) to make a third film, there has been no immediate conversations with Nolan and that the rumor is totally bogus.

Next up, Green Lantern. As reported in the past, GL is looking extremely good and it looks like it will definitely be going forward Spring of 09.

On to Justice League. Yes, Justice League. I know, I know, it's a dead horse but I had to ask about it. I asked our source about the Armie Hammer quote that made the rounds last week that the JL production was still looking for a location to shoot, which has to be total BS. He said that they are not doing anything with JL. The studio doesn't want to do JL just to do it. They want to make it when the time is right. Very similar to what WB's Jeff Robinov said to WSJ last month.

And finally, the Superman sequel Man of Steel. The WB insider recognizes there has been a lot of buzz on the internet following the success of Iron Man and The Dark Knight, for a Superman sequel, but they really just don't know what's going on at this time. I asked him if Bryan Singer was still attached. He said he didn't know where it stands right now at the studio level since Singer has been busy on Valkyrie.

But he also said one thing is for certain, WB has a lot of properties available and they plan on mining them.

[Source]