[Official] Halo 3: ODST

By leaked by "P2P" I mean one of those 16 year olds in his study uploading an ISO through a torrent/usenet which is probably incorrectly ripped. I'm sure that happened with Halo 3, the first leak wasn't by the scene and people got banned from it :p

Even "scene groups" have had bad rips in the past. Now with all the proper CRC code identification system they seem to have a million different ways to directly rip it (even noobs). All it takes is one tiny mistake, but two mass banning waves made people delve even deeper in CRC business.

Before anyone mentions the supposed MS france press release that states anyone playing this early will get banned, Stepto just tweeted this:

Clarity on the ODST thing. We will not be banning legitimate customers from Xbox LIVE who play early.

Sawce: http://twitter.com/Stepto/status/3591340634

So if you DO get ahold of it...legitimately....play away! (And post screenies!)

Doubt very much anyone is worried about playing it early, I know I wouldn't be. I've ordered and received over 40 games early and never been banned.

The only thing pirates need to be worried about is if the copy they download is badly ripped. That's the gamble.

Edit: also confused by his other follow up tweet..

However, if you have Halo ODST achievements and haven't played the game, prepare for a gamerscore reset.

How else would you get the achievements? Are people still using game saves to boost gamerscore? :blink:

Edited by DrunknMunky

Doubt very much anyone is worried about playing it early, I know I wouldn't be. I've ordered and received over 40 games early and never been banned.

The only thing pirates need to be worried about is if the copy they download is badly ripped. That's the gamble.

Edit: also confused by his other follow up tweet..

How else would you get the achievements? Are people still using game saves to boost gamerscore? :blink:

A few months ago someone figured out a way to "unlock" achievements easily. Not even savegame boosting (That wouldn't unlock achievements without the game), literally you can unlock whatever you want. You can also change your name (for free, although its reset the next time you sign in) to anything you want.

And its ALL highly detectable by microsoft. I believe they had a small ban wave a few weeks ago just for the biggest abusers of this.

Oh is that using the profile editor thing?

Stepto was just on MN's podcast on Sunday talking about people who use that and unlock the avatar clothing etc.

I believe so, yes. I only briefly came across it a few weeks ago while looking for something COMPLETELY different. Didn't perk my interest so I only know bits and pieces.

ooh was at the Best Buy yesterday and it just dawned on me this game is less than a month away. must admit to being a tad excited.

A few months ago someone figured out a way to "unlock" achievements easily. Not even savegame boosting (That wouldn't unlock achievements without the game), literally you can unlock whatever you want. You can also change your name (for free, although its reset the next time you sign in) to anything you want.

And its ALL highly detectable by microsoft. I believe they had a small ban wave a few weeks ago just for the biggest abusers of this.

You can also use a friends 360 and a MU to essentially "copy" their achievements to your profile. So If they 100% a game and you want the achievement but don't feel like doing it all you need is your friends HD and a few minutes of time.

Yeah, that's one way of doing it. As far as I know, this could be done without any kind of save data. I believe that's how ODSTs achievements were originally leaked.

Speaking of nefarious deeds, it would appear that ODST has fallen into the hands of certain unscrupulous people. Expect it to be all over the interwebs within a few hours.

Over 3 weeks early, that has to be a record. Bannings ahoy?

Speaking of nefarious deeds, it would appear that ODST has fallen into the hands of certain unscrupulous people. Expect it to be all over the interwebs within a few hours.

Over 3 weeks early, that has to be a record. Bannings ahoy?

Was Gears of War 2/Fable 2 not a few weeks?

Either way 3 weeks is **** for MS, really bad. Many people will complete it/spoil it all over the web before the buzz for launch even starts. Regardless of what some of us do at times, you gotta sympathise for MS/developers for such an early leak.

Don't think they can ban unless it's a bad rip :/ Too many legit copies doing the rounds to guess who is who.

Indeed, but with such a massive game, its to be expected. It has a worldwide international launch, they've probably been shipping the game for weeks as it is (date of mastering is the very beginning of this month), a few copies were BOUND to find their way out and, of course, it only takes one person to "share" it with others. And unfortunately for Microsoft, all the tools and utilities the pirates use for this are now very mature. The so-called "bad rips" are extremely rare as far as I can tell.

Still, 3 weeks early? If I was a pirate, I'd be keeping that one at arms length for the moment.

Indeed, but with such a massive game, its to be expected. It has a worldwide international launch, they've probably been shipping the game for weeks as it is (date of mastering is the very beginning of this month), a few copies were BOUND to find their way out and, of course, it only takes one person to "share" it with others. And unfortunately for Microsoft, all the tools and utilities the pirates use for this are now very mature. The so-called "bad rips" are extremely rare as far as I can tell.

Still, 3 weeks early? If I was a pirate, I'd be keeping that one at arms length for the moment.

Not 3 weeks man, it's quite rare to get such an early leak.

Its one thing a store breaking the sale date by a few days, but why do stores have the game 3 weeks early? Most retail don't get shipments in to quite near release in my experience.

As I said, its an absolutely huge game with a full international Launch. MS has to produce millions of copies and can't exactly put an entire international shipment into storage, then ship 'em all a week before launch. My guess is they need to send them out early just to keep the warehouses from overflowing.

As said by stepto on Major Nelson's latest podcast, if you are caught playing early, you will have your console banned and possibly even your gamertag. They know there is a leak and are keeping careful watch of the people playing it. If suddenly tonight thousands of people are playing it in America (when the game hasn't even shipped to retailers) they will know how they are playing it.

I'm not sure how they will catch you if you play offline, but if you do and then sign onto xbox live, again they will notice that you have achievements/game saves.

Don't bitch and cry when the console is banned and your gamertag is either reset or banned too. :p

Also, I would like to point out that a lot of the more vocal xbox 360 fans on this forum keep mentioning piracy on every new game coming out. Is that what is to be expected from now on? This used to not be a problem on this forum, but lately every single game gets talked about and spoiled with people downloading the game and playing it.

How can you call yourselves fans when you never buy a game?

Also, I would like to point out that a lot of the more vocal xbox 360 fans on this forum keep mentioning piracy on every new game coming out. Is that what is to be expected from now on? This used to not be a problem on this forum, but lately every single game gets talked about and spoiled with people downloading the game and playing it.

Seeing as this is 3 weeks early Neowin must delete posts/hand out warns for discussion. It's blatant piracy.

But a few days early there's always a good chance someone is legit, big enough %'s of stores are breaking street dates all the times nowadays.

Heck I was talking about MGS4/LBP days before anyone in the Sony forum :p

As said by stepto on Major Nelson's latest podcast, if you are caught playing early, you will have your console banned and possibly even your gamertag. They know there is a leak and are keeping careful watch of the people playing it. If suddenly tonight thousands of people are playing it in America (when the game hasn't even shipped to retailers) they will know how they are playing it.

QFT, he revealed a few details on how they spot these pirating trends. It's as simple as looking where you're located and the locations of the retailers who leaked. If 100 copies were sold in France, why is Joe Blogs in some swampy state of the US playing it when they haven't sent copies to retailers there yet etc..

As for GoW2 and Fable 2, they were leaked 2 weeks before their retail dates.

Well folks, it looks like the Joke is on the pirates - apparently the "leaked" ODST is actually the French version. Complete with french voices!

I can understand French fairly easily :p