Officially Detailed Firmware Updates: PS3 (v2.50) / PSP (v5.00)

You say the very same thing over and over to all of us about the Games/Services/Features of the PS3 etc.

Killzone 2 was prime example of that in previous threads.

Our discussion was on graphics, something pretty easy to compare from preview builds, and in general.

Graphics are graphics, a whole service/product has a lot more scope involved.

In the Bioshock thread you said something along the lines of "does this mean the PS3s power is being showen?"

I pointed you in the direction of KZ2, as technically it's more impressive than Bioshock on the PS3. Art direction is an opinion.

NXE has got way more chance of delivering than Home will, that's for sure.

Home will be one of the products which will be used intially for awhile, maybe even a week then dumped like yesterdays news.

NXE however, will be still used by the users.

Everything about the PS3 in terms of services/features is tacked on. Life with Playstation, Trophies, Home etc its all tacked on.

Um contradiction of what you're trying to call me out for?

You're telling me how both services will pan out?

Even on a pure "this is my opinion folks" based moral, it's still bold talk till we have release notes detailing everything/hands-on and community experience (product being on the market for "x" amount of time).

Don't think anyone knows that till we see them in the flesh and actually operating amongst the community.

Well NXE is obviously going to be carried on being used as it's the main GUI of the 360, Home is not - It's a supplement service to the main GUI of the PS3, XMB. One reason comparing them hits a hitch.

Edited by Audioboxer

NXE IS live.

Home isn't PSN, it's merely a 3D virtual social network thingy using PSN.

The only thing comparable is that NXE is a big product launch MS is using to push consoles, and Home is a big product launch used to push consoles.

but product wise there's nothing to compare.

it's still NXE/live(same product) vs PSN (and home isn't a part of PSN, it's just another producty using PSN).

Wich is why the versus thread was stupid. of course more peopel anticipate NXE, it's a major key upgrade of Live. Whereas Home is a sepaate product that doesn't, or at least shouldn't, add any features you can't get through the more accessible non 3D walking around my cool epeed apartment. Thoguh ufnortunatelythough I'm not sure) I beleve Sony is adding features in home such that you can't get without using home, to push it's usage, such as video sharing and possibly photo sharing... though I dunnp, maybe they are or will be in the regular PSN/XMB too..

NXE IS live.

Home isn't PSN, it's merely a 3D virtual social network thingy using PSN.

The only thing comparable is that NXE is a big product launch MS is using to push consoles, and Home is a big product launch used to push consoles.

but product wise there's nothing to compare.

it's still NXE/live(same product) vs PSN (and home isn't a part of PSN, it's just another producty using PSN).

Wich is why the versus thread was stupid. of course more peopel anticipate NXE, it's a major key upgrade of Live. Whereas Home is a sepaate product that doesn't, or at least shouldn't, add any features you can't get through the more accessible non 3D walking around my cool epeed apartment. Thoguh ufnortunatelythough I'm not sure) I beleve Sony is adding features in home such that you can't get without using home, to push it's usage, such as video sharing and possibly photo sharing... though I dunnp, maybe they are or will be in the regular PSN/XMB too..

Yeah I agree with most of that.

Although NXE is introducing new social aspects to Live, avatars/avatar uses, community games (like those that will be in Home), ect.

If it were just a simple graphical overhaul I'd be inclined to just say it merely ='s Live.

However it's more than that, it's not the same old live with a lick of paint anymore.

But you're totally right, comparisons should still be PSN vs Live, not solely Home vs Live, or Home vs NXE.

The comparison later this year will come down to the impact each updates makes for the overall services, not just the updates themselves, and then after some time for food for thought, you'll probably see the PSN vs Live debates rage up again.

The avatar ir just a 3D... avatar though.

Games have allready been using the gamerpic, now they'll use the avatar instead.

All the games using the avatar are second to the NXE itself. The avatars being stylised and such is also what helps with this.

The home avatars I don't see being used in too many games like this. Most advanced game that fall in the realisti style would rather use the atual main character of the game. then there's the omplexisty behind rendering the realistic avatar. It's render profile may only fall partially within or completely outside the render profile of the games, wich use a variety of game enignes and such.

And the simpler downloadable "arcade" style games, probably fall well below the visual style ar of the realistic home avatar.

The NXE/Live avatar is pretty much made to fit into any game, and to be usable by any of the games that are in the segment where using the avatar is a design cosideration at all. If the avatars had been realistic, like Home, then the rest of the game would have had to be as well, and developement cost and time would have inreased substantially, and we probably wouldn't have seen games like 1vs100 and such using them.

So it's not really a fair comparison either, The home avatar is your virtual presentation in home. The NXE avatar is your virtual avatar in everything. even older games using the gamerpic are supposed to have and avatar based gaerpic (at least as a possibility)

At least with BL ahed on features, PSN is constantly being updated to try and catch up, and as long as Sony tries to catch up, MS will keep developing to stay ahead. wich is good news.

Next generation will be more interesting though as then PSN will have a solid base, sony will have learnt from their mistakes and They'll know to set rules and limits on their developers and with a solid base they can concentrate on competing more tha just catching up. wich leads to more innovation from both sides.

The avatar ir just a 3D... avatar though.

Games have allready been using the gamerpic, now they'll use the avatar instead.

All the games using the avatar are second to the NXE itself. The avatars being stylised and such is also what helps with this.

The home avatars I don't see being used in too many games like this. Most advanced game that fall in the realisti style would rather use the atual main character of the game. then there's the omplexisty behind rendering the realistic avatar. It's render profile may only fall partially within or completely outside the render profile of the games, wich use a variety of game enignes and such.

And the simpler downloadable "arcade" style games, probably fall well below the visual style ar of the realistic home avatar.

The NXE/Live avatar is pretty much made to fit into any game, and to be usable by any of the games that are in the segment where using the avatar is a design cosideration at all. If the avatars had been realistic, like Home, then the rest of the game would have had to be as well, and developement cost and time would have inreased substantially, and we probably wouldn't have seen games like 1vs100 and such using them.

So it's not really a fair comparison either, The home avatar is your virtual presentation in home. The NXE avatar is your virtual avatar in everything. even older games using the gamerpic are supposed to have and avatar based gaerpic (at least as a possibility)

At least with BL ahed on features, PSN is constantly being updated to try and catch up, and as long as Sony tries to catch up, MS will keep developing to stay ahead. wich is good news.

Next generation will be more interesting though as then PSN will have a solid base, sony will have learnt from their mistakes and They'll know to set rules and limits on their developers and with a solid base they can concentrate on competing more tha just catching up. wich leads to more innovation from both sides.

To be completely fair Hawkman, while you make some good points, we have no idea how Home avatars are going to be integrated into XMB - If they won't be/if they will, and if they will, how?

Will there be Home gamer cards with your avatar/trophies?

Will Home avatars be replaceable for main characters in games?

Only Sony know the plans behind the service for smaller details like these so far.

Many assumptions being made about Home around these sections just now though.

Much more scope for change/unexpected things out of it, than NXE. It's an organic supplement service, as opposed to a tied in integral service.

Not saying that's good nor bad, we just know more about what NXE aims to establish from the get go, than Home.

Partly thanks to Sony delaying and rejigging the service countless times.

Partly due to the organic nature of services like these. Think WoW day 1, vs WoW year 2.

I also predict while it's a supplement service to XMB, Sony will do everything they can to encourage you to use Home, and tie it into XMB every way possible, without making mandatories where possible (Some people will just plain and simply want a 2D interface, end of).

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

This means we will be able to access XMB while we install stuff?!

Nice to see some updates there especially the turning off of the controllers :)

Being honest, it does all I need it to do. The whole comparison of machines gets a bit long in the tooth after a while. People will always have their favorites and always ask why they can't see 'Feature x on Console y' well chances are, if it's not already there it's because they are busy working on other things or already have it planned later down the line.

If all machines could do the same things and had the same things we would end up with 1 console :) Be happy with your purchase, you bought it for a reason.

ummm ?

Sucks and Still sucks ? :p

Hah, good try, but not about how enjoyable you find the game.

It's about how much content had been added/has changed since day 1.

You could probbly have picked a better eample than WoW for new content added though :p

as much as many peope hate SoE, most of their MMO have had mroe content added to them in 2 months, through free content updates than the average yearly WoW expansion :p

but.,.. off topic :)

I'm still waiting for in-game music for titles like GT5:P... we got what we wanted but only half of it. :/

That's a Polyphony issue, not a Sony one :)

That's a Polyphony issue, not a Sony one :)

yeah, I know but still... you'd think after 6 months most of the games would have support for it... but that's not the case. Hopefully they do that in the Spec 3 update.

Nothing in that update shouts at me and says "wow". I just look at that and think meh, why was it not already there. I mean only *now* getting auto off for the controller? Geez.

I just don't get posts like these, why should they of been there in the start? Because others already had them? Not every operating system has to be the same. Yes it's a great feature, that doesn't mean it should of been there in the start, it just would of been desirable. Being honest though, as the PS3 controllers use an internal battery that is charged through the system, it's not as 'essential' as on the 360 which uses standard AA batteries in my view.

I guess Sony have other things to be doing than updating their OS every time there is something they have missed off that someone points out they would like.

I just don't get posts like these, why should they of been there in the start? Because others already had them? Not every operating system has to be the same. Yes it's a great feature, that doesn't mean it should of been there in the start, it just would of been desirable. Being honest though, as the PS3 controllers use an internal battery that is charged through the system, it's not as 'essential' as on the 360 which uses standard AA batteries in my view.

I guess Sony have other things to be doing than updating their OS every time there is something they have missed off that someone points out they would like.

It really was an overlooked, yet highly wanted feature though, but hey it's there now. It shouldn't have taken almost 2 years to come, but your point about every controller being rechargeable does hold some ground. If my PS3 was chewing through AA batteries I'd be much more annoyed.

That would be costing me money, as opposed to just the effort of getting up to charge! Don't get me wrong though, I'm rather glad we have this update now. I watch a lot of films/tv shows through my PS3 and forget to turn off the DS3 every time, draining battery for hours.

The only thing I don't understand is people expecting every PS3 FW update to absolutely floor everyone :laugh:

Sony drip feed updates throughout the year, rather than 1 or 2 big updates, and EVERYONE should know that by now. Which is why I don't get some of the apparent complaining when there's only 3, 4 or 5 new features as oppose to say MS offloading like 20 at once.

It's a different way than MS do it, but it achieves the same end goal - adding new features to the console OS :yes:

Also we also know the PS3 does not equal the 360, and it's behind in some areas - But we don't really need reminded that every single time the PS3 gets updated with something the 360 has already :p

Edited by Audioboxer

i don't understand why some people think every update from sony has to be groundbreaking state of the art type stuff. i know some of the update are late, thats obvious and everyone knows it. no need to be so harsh about it.