Officially Detailed Firmware Updates: PS3 (v2.50) / PSP (v5.00)

Update on the resdesign of account management

“In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.”

Just out of curiosity, will these two act like applications or will we still have to use that ugly, slow browser shell?

Sony: Like the PlayStation Store itself, these functions will now be native to PS3, and not browser-based.

Good news :)

I'm looking forward to the PSP update, I guess I can use the same credentials as my PS3?

Also, I hope background downloading could be enabled on the PSP, at least while watching videos or listening to music.

I'm getting more and more happy about my upcoming 2nd Hand 60 GB PS3 purchase, this is good stuff :)

PS3 2.50 firmware adds Flash 9 support

PlayStation 3's upcoming 2.50 firmware includes support for Flash 9 via the console's web browser alongside various changes announced yesterday.

Eurogamer has also been told that you'll be able to see optional EXIF (exchangeable image file format) information while viewing photos.

And finally for the things that weren't mentioned yesterday, the Y and Z and Q and A keys have been remapped for the German on-screen keyboard. Gut.

Things we already knew about firmware 2.5:

* Pads and the PS3 itself now have tweakable power-save settings for turning off after a period of inactivity.

* You can tell the PS3 to power down once it's finished downloading or installing content.

* In-game screenshots can be taken in compatible games.

* It enables high-quality mode for the official PS3 Bluetooth headset.

* The Trophy interface has been improved, so you can see you and your friends' progress more easily.

* Friends now have their last login time listed.

* Videos now have a scene search feature.

* There's a button on the PlayStation Store frontpage for redeeming codes.

Read more about all of that in yesterday's update, which also details PSP firmware 5.00.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=259999

Nearly every one of those features including the recently announced Flash 9 support should of been there from the start.

Says who, you?

Last time I checked competition doesn't even have a web browser... Well the Wii does, but it costs money.

Does that mean if and when the 360 gets a browser, I should run around proclaiming it should've been there from the start? No I don't think so.

No console is a replica of another, cut this "from the start" BS every time the PS3 gets a FW update. Some things would've been nicer to have gotten earlier, but we don't need the PS3 being told it should be a 360 in each FW topic.

Deals have to be sorted with Macromedia to get Flash Player up and running through the PS3. It was thought later version support wouldn't even be do-able.

AB is right, you can't even redistribute freeware without correct permission. I willing to bet that flash 9 was not integrated beforehand due to part from macromedia. macromedia have to make it PS3 ready and then sony would obviously have to package it, with both having licensing issues to deal with too.

Whatever happened to the part of the game submenu that allowed you to choose which resolution the game would run in without needing to change the PS3 settings?

Besides, who the hell actually uses flash on their PS3 anyway?

AB is right, you can't even redistribute freeware without correct permission. I willing to bet that flash 9 was not integrated beforehand due to part from macromedia. macromedia have to make it PS3 ready and then sony would obviously have to package it, with both having licensing issues to deal with too.

Whatever happened to the part of the game submenu that allowed you to choose which resolution the game would run in without needing to change the PS3 settings?

Besides, who the hell actually uses flash on their PS3 anyway?

Does Youtube currently work on the PS3?

I know there's some big sites that use flash some people might go on now and again.

I actually like getting new features enabled on a regular basis, even though Xbox360 has had some of those feature from day 1 I always feel like I'm getting a new toy when Sony releases a firmware for the PS3. :laugh: Good job Sony. (Y)

I know there's some big sites that use flash some people might go on now and again.

I've not tried it in a while, but I feel the browser should be left pretty basic, I only ever use it when my PC is kaput or I need a quick game tip.

I think they should have an iplayer app built into the firmware if I had it my way, in a similar way to how they have life and had f@h on there.

Says who, you?

Last time I checked competition doesn't even have a web browser... Well the Wii does, but it costs money.

Does that mean if and when the 360 gets a browser, I should run around proclaiming it should've been there from the start? No I don't think so.

No console is a replica of another, cut this "from the start" BS every time the PS3 gets a FW update. Some things would've been nicer to have gotten earlier, but we don't need the PS3 being told it should be a 360 in each FW topic.

Deals have to be sorted with Macromedia to get Flash Player up and running through the PS3. It was thought later version support wouldn't even be do-able.

What is the point is including a web browser if it doesn't have Flash support? Sony have done this and it hasn't been just a short time going. Users have had to wait nearly 2 years for it! I mean come on.

It was Sony's desicion to include a browser so it was up to them to make sure they did it properly with STANDARD FEATURES lncluded which makes a web browser and they failed to do that. Or do you disagree with that?

Nearly every one of those features including the recently announced Flash 9 support should of been there from the start.

Pretty sure that was not possible due to Adobe

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2007/12...te_3_final.html

Look at the comments:

When will you release Flash Player 9 for PPC, so we can enjoy the beauty of flash on PS3 aswell. ? Please write back. And by the way great blog.

BR Soren.

Add support to Flash Player 9 for the PS3.

Cross platform!

Cross platform!

Cross platform!

Another vote for flash player for Linux/PPC i.e PS3 :)

Flash higher than 7 was not available to other platforms before now

What is the point is including a web browser if it doesn't have Flash support? Sony have done this and it hasn't been just a short time going. Users have had to wait nearly 2 years for it! I mean come on.

It was Sony's desicion to include a browser so it was up to them to make sure they did it properly with STANDARD FEATURES lncluded which makes a web browser and they failed to do that. Or do you disagree with that?

The PS3 web browser is basic because it's not meant to be replacement for your normal computer browser. Any new additions to it are a bonus. Case closed.

YouTube works fine on the PS3 at the moment, the one site I want working is the BBC iPlayer, whilst there is a 'hacked' site for it based on the Wii version, it's rather flakey when trying to play searched for content :(

Good lookin update, I'll be glad of the auto off for the system and the controllers as my kid keeps turning them on n draining all my charge. While some of the features are a long time coming, I'm glad we're getting them eventually rather than not at all.

I found that the PS3 had no problem with 'older' flash objects (for instance the older flash animations on the weebls-stuff website), it was flash 8/9 objects that didn't work.

Apparently this was all down to adobe not supporting other web browsers other than IE and Firefox. Dunno how much truth was in this though.

Something must have been sorted though because flash 9 support in the web browser has been on peoples 'want' list for a while.

Ehhh the PS3 has had flash support since day 1...

It was Flash 7 though.

Ehhh the PS3 has had flash support since day 1...

It was Flash 7 though.

When PS3 was launched Flash 8 was being used so most websites didn't display correctly.

Who cares if it had Flash 7? It wasn't the newest one was it?

I'm sorry but if Sony decided to make a web browser into the PS3, then they have to be responsible for the baggage to go with it e.g support for flash/java etc other wise it's not really a browser now it is?

When PS3 was launched Flash 8 was being used so most websites didn't display correctly.

I'm sorry but if Sony decided to make a web browser into the PS3, then they have to be responsible for the baggage to go with it e.g support for flash/java etc other wise it's not really a browser now it is?

Please see https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=589965430

If Adobe does not make it availabile - it is not possible..

And you rarely come across websites that require higher than 7 or less :s

Unless theyre fancy fancy artistic sites with lots of fancy stuff with extra fancy added!

Read the rest of the topic, you'll get your answers.