Officially Detailed Firmware Updates: PS3 (v2.50) / PSP (v5.00)

I just upgraded to 2.43 today, I guess it was a minor update because it didn't give me a prompt or anything like that to update it...

yeah, that was an optional update that only affected japanese users.

Hi everyone, as Eric mentioned in his post yesterday, we wanted to give you a live demo of the PSP’s direct access to PlayStation Store, which will be coming with the 5.00 firmware update. Now whenever your PSP is connected to the Internet over WiFi, you’ll be able to download and enjoy the latest games, demos and trailers on the go without needing to sync up to your PS3 or PC. Here’s a brief walk-through of what you’ll experience.

On a related note, the PS3 firmware update (2.50) will add Flash Player 9 support to the PS3 Web browser, so you’ll be able to actually watch this video (and all of our blog videos) on your PS3 once the firmware goes live!

In addition, I want to point out that the PlayStation Network is scheduled to be unavailable in North America today from 11AM to 4PM PST due to essential maintenance work.

Video of Grace Chen showing off PSN store on PSP: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/14/...n-store-on-psp/

PS Blog video support on the PS3 (due to Flash9) is just part of the whole blog being integrated to work on the PS3 I think...

Just been playing with the new update myself and i like some of the new changes/improvements.

The annoying battery overlay over the time is a pain but i am sure they will fix it soon enough.

I do like the auto-off on controllers. This will come in handy when i go off somewhere.

Just been playing with the new update myself and i like some of the new changes/improvements.

The annoying battery overlay over the time is a pain but i am sure they will fix it soon enough.

I do like the auto-off on controllers. This will come in handy when i go off somewhere.

The same bug that has been there since they added the battery overlay ? doesn't sound like fixing it is a priority :p

The same bug that has been there since they added the battery overlay ? doesn't sound like fixing it is a priority :p

I am giving hope ok!

Some of the bugs & missing features that haven't been included from day one have been pretty poor it must be said.

They are starting to finally sort things out but i think it is alittle too late when this could of been done well over a year ago.

I am giving hope ok!

Some of the bugs & missing features that haven't been included from day one have been pretty poor it must be said.

They are starting to finally sort things out but i think it is alittle too late when this could of been done well over a year ago.

Too late for who?

So now Flash 9 has gone PPC, I wonder if we'll start seeing it on the 360 and Wii :p

Yeah the Wii should get it soon!

Too late for who?

Erm....Everyone?

Auto off controllers should of been there day one. Trophies aswell arriving far far too late. Yes it's there now but it wasn't from the start was it?

That is why i branded v2.50 = v1.0 because that is essentially what this is.

Erm....Everyone?

Auto off controllers should of been there day one. Trophies aswell arriving far far too late. Yes it's there now but it wasn't from the start was it?

That is why i branded v2.50 = v1.0 because that is essentially what this is.

Everyone meaning yourself and some others?

Lots of happy people here not running around calling this 1.0, beta, saying why isn't PS3 a 360?

A good point was made earlier on the controllers - Auto off controllers would've been nicer earlier, but it wasn't as much a deal breaker as every PS3 controller is rechargeable. If they were batteries, you'd be costing people money. Still should've came sooner, no doubts, but the fuss you're making over it NOW we have it, is strange.

2.50 does not equal 1.0, stop being stupid and trolling firmware threads.

I guess when 3.0 and/or Home hit's it's 1.1? :sleep:

You're so caught up in the past it's not funny, and all the snarky comments from you/others each time we get a FW update, really show out people :whistle:

Edited by Audioboxer

Everyone meaning yourself and some others?

Lots of happy people here not running around calling this 1.0, beta, saying why isn't PS3 a 360?

A good point was made earlier on the controllers - Auto off controllers would've been nicer earlier, but it wasn't as much a deal breaker as every PS3 controller is rechargeable. If they were batteries, you'd be costing people money. Still should've came sooner, no doubts, but the fuss you're making over it NOW we have it, is strange.

2.50 does not equal 1.0, stop being stupid and trolling firmware threads.

I guess when 3.0 and/or Home hit's it's 1.1? :sleep:

You're so caught up in the past it's not funny, and all the snarky comments from you/others each time we get a FW update, really show out people :whistle:

Do you also mean yourself and some others aswell?

Please Audio, get off your high horse. We have had the firmware for less than a few hours and you are telling me everything is fine and dandy? Yeah ok, we know you love your PS3 so much it is impossible for you to actually say one bad thing about the system. I like the PS3 aswell but this late delay on features in inexcusable and had to be there day one. Yes PS3/PSN has evolved but a little late i would say.

Sony should of been focusing more actually sorting out the software side of things before rolling out the system because, if you look back to the intial launch, the system has almost nothing.

Me and others? Great. I just love to be singled out.

any word on performance and stability?

Fine so far, but don't really notice any improvements on performance :/

Store loaded a bit faster but that might just be my internet connection working well.

Do you also mean yourself and some others aswell?

Please Audio, get off your high horse. We have had the firmware for less than a few hours and you are telling me everything is fine and dandy? Yeah ok, we know you love your PS3 so much it is impossible for you to actually say one bad thing about the system. I like the PS3 aswell but this late delay on features in inexcusable and had to be there day one. Yes PS3/PSN has evolved but a little late i would say.

Sony should of been focusing more actually sorting out the software side of things before rolling out the system because, if you look back to the intial launch, the system has almost nothing.

Me and others? Great. I just love to be singled out.

I'm questioning how it's too late, you're still not giving me much ground on that.

What's my reasoning?

Only 14-15 million users, less than 2 years into a long lifespan. Getting this **** sorted out before mass market buy in is key.

Things are ramping up fairly quickly, especially this year.

You unfortunately as I said are so caught up in the past, it doesn't seem to matter when your PS3 evolves, you just keep talking about launch, day 1, firmware 1.0. Dunno why, but carry on.

Being late isn't to be let off the hook, but fixing/improving has to be applauded to some extent in my books, you can't just bash bash bash for the past.

NXE looks superior to old Dash IMO, but I'm not going to go guns blazing saying MS should have had it since day 1.

These systems evolve over time, and the PS3 does not equal a 360, they launched at different stages in where they wanted to be. 360 arguably ahead in that plan than the PS3, no doubts.

Yeah ok, we know you love your PS3 so much it is impossible for you to actually say one bad thing about the system.

No need for this at all.

But again, just showing how some members around here act.

I'm questioning how it's too late, you're still not giving me much ground on that.

What's my reasoning?

Only 14-15 million users, less than 2 years into a long lifespan. Getting this **** sorted out before mass market buy in is key.

Things are ramping up fairly quickly, especially this year.

You unfortunately as I said are so caught up in the past, it doesn't seem to matter when your PS3 evolves, you just keep talking about launch, day 1, firmware 1.0. Dunno why, but carry on.

Being late isn't to be let off the hook, but fixing/improving has to be applauded to some extent in my books, you can't just bash bash bash for the past.

NXE looks superior to old Dash IMO, but I'm not going to go guns blazing saying MS should have had it since day 1.

These systems evolve over time.

I am talking about basic features here. NXE is completely different. Its an entirely dash overhaul and somehow MS have managed to get it together is a space of 6ish months while Sony on the other hand need 3+ years for Home and it still will be in beta. Point is, the reason why PS3 had so many firmware updates 1/2 times a month is because of the 'missing features' they have 1)planned 2)decide to implement later on.

I am all for evolution, And I am really pleased the way Sony have brought the system up to the level of 360 almost, That they can be credited for. But i would of been even more impresssed if they did most of this last year but they didn't. They were still stuck in their 'HD starts when we are ready' and thought they were in no rush to do anything special and now look!? trying to compete with MS because they were falling behind. That is the only reason why PSN went free to begin with.

When Sony release PS4 i would like them to get the software/features/services up and running before attempting to rush the console out so early. You can say MS rushed 360 which they did and suffered from it with RLOD, But the services were already well into place e.g Achievements/Live/Friends List etc.

No need for this at all.

But again, just showing how some members around here act.

Oh come on. You have already stated your intensions which one you prefer. Not that i would hold it against you, but its evident.

I am talking about basic features here. NXE is completely different. Its an entire dash overhaul and somehow MS have managed to get it together is a space of 6ish months while Sony on the other hand need 3+ years for Home and it still will be in beta. Point is, the reason why PS3 had so many firmware updates 1/2 times a month is because of the 'missing features' they have 1)planned 2)decide to implement later on.

I am all for evolution, And I am really pleased the way Sony have brought the system up to the level of 360 almost, That they can be credited for. But i would of been even more impresssed if they did most of this last year but they didn't. They were still stuck in their 'HD starts when we are ready' and though they were in no rush to do anything special and now look!? trying to compete with MS because they were falling behind. That is the only reason why PSN went free to begin with.

When Sony release PS4 i would like them to get the software/features/services up and running before attempting to rush the console out so early. You can say MS rushed 360 which they did and suffered from it with RLOD, But the services were already well into place e.g Achievements/Live/Friends List etc.

NXE does not = Home.

Different services, different scopes.

I don't think many are going to say NXE is a larger scale project to try and deliver successfully than Home (and no, that is in NO way a comment on quality). Not excusing Home delays, but if you don't have a project on the scale of Home polished and ready to go, launching will be a terrible mistake.

PSN sufficiently competes with Live IMO, one will probably always be better, or at least always preferred. Try getting a 50/50 on preference vote on any gaming board and I'll be surprised.

Point is both will move at their own pace, make their own changes and become their own individual services. They do not equal each other and will deliver things at different times, based on importance scales for each other. I just pointed out how chargeable controllers made auto off slightly less important for Sony than MS (who while having charge packs launched with batteries), doesn't mean you can slack off, but it's to point out each console will have varying levels or priority for things.

This console generation is young, which is why I don't understand all the "time is out" comments.

The 360 is having it's big overhaul in it's 3rd year, Sony seemingly in their 2nd - Although yeah, Sony do need it earlier due to launching a more primitive service.

Oh come on. You have already stated your intensions which one you prefer. Not that i would hold it against you, but its evident.

Yes, but the way you aimed that comment at me suggested I'm somehow in the wrong for having preference.

I enjoy all 3 of my platforms and look for the good in each, or else I'd of sold what I didn't want.

I'm critical of missing elements/bugs/inefficient aspects of services, but I'm quick to forget if they're fixed to a high standard within what I deem a suitable time frame I guess.

You can say MS rushed 360 which they did and suffered from it with RLOD, But the services were already well into place e.g Achievements/Live/Friends List etc.

Which yeah is a fair analogy.

MS fixed hardware issues, should be commended, and people should move on. Get your existing 360 fixed - for free/Buy a new 360 RROD "proof" and why should you waste your time reveling in the past?

Sony are fixing software issues, should be commended, and people should move on, or at least get ready to move on since "launch day". Buy a new PS3/update your existing and why should you waste your time reveling in the past?

I think both of them are getting it sorted out in very fair time scales in relation to where the generation is (see above, install bases a fraction of what they will be, 2/3 years out of a possible 10 year cycle), which I guess is why I'm saying what I'm saying.

edit: I do realize once hardware is fixed, it's fixed. Software is on an ongoing improvement scale, but still Sony have shown great strides and improvements and a picture is clear of where they would like to go, still have to wait a bit longer to see if that's where they end up - So yeah you still have to be critical of the OS on the PS3 and ask for more (where as criticism isn't needed of the 360 hardware anymore), but I think you're going way off track with comments like 2.50 = 1.0, or 2.50 = what should have been in since day 1.

Edited by Audioboxer

Ever heard of rechargeable batteries/play and charge kit? :p

It was still a pain having to plug in your controller so often :/ finally it's fixed (Y)

Ever heard of rechargeable batteries/play and charge kit? :p

It was still a pain having to plug in your controller so often :/ finally it's fixed (Y)

Yeah I commented on that in my post :p

And yeah, no doubts, was a pain.

I just pointed out how chargeable controllers made auto off slightly less important for Sony than MS (who while having charge packs launched with batteries), doesn't mean you can slack off, but it's to point out each console will have varying levels or priority for things.

PS3 chargeable controllers were with everything, MS charge packs were an optional expense (although I dunno about new SKUs?).

PS3 chargeable controllers were with everything, MS charge packs were an optional expense (although I dunno about new SKUs?).

Yeah, still optional. I bought one once for my first 360, 15? with NiMH batteries. A friend of mine bought a cheaper one from another brand, came with a lithium battery and allowed for mini USB charging instead of MS's proprietary connector.

Now I'm using standard rechargeable batteries, still deciding if I'm gonna buy another one of those.