Why is the Real World Issues forum closed?

I support this decision  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I support this decision

• Nope
    • Yes I do

If I know Neowin I know this question will be asked a few times today so let me attempt to be first in the forum. We believe that the Real World Issues forum is out of control, many members have earned restrictions and bans for their outbursts at other members because they fail to comply with our rules.

I personally enjoy such a forum but have to be honest when I say its become a place where stupidity appears to run rampant since this war on Iraq has begun. A lot of the posts are baseless and without any credible source and most of them are split down from news flashes that occur. Its become a sort of NeoCNN with a very bad twist. I have left the forum read only for now so that members have ample time to read up on any threads they participated in.

We see most of our time taken up in that forum because like I said most posts disregard our community rules, so its become too much of a burden for us. When the onslaught of war dies down we'll re-open it (maybe after the conflict, this is uncertain at this point) what is certain is that we will have very strict guidelines for posting when it comes back.

More on that later, but now to the question, do you support this move on Neowin? If not why? if you do also please tell us your reasons.

PS: RWI topics are not welcome in any other forums so do not attempt to start these topics elsewhere.

I agree...opinions have become way too strong on the war and without debate either, just flaming. If people could express their opinions in a rational manner without crossing the boundary into flaming, I'd say leave it open, but all the posts seem to cross it.

i won't miss that forum at all.

if you are going to reopen it, i don't know if IVB can do that, make this forum invisible to "troublemakers".

The upcoming 1.2 will simplify that greatly. :)

As it is, they can mod queue individual members that choose to start trouble. I'd recommend simply mod queuing the few bad apples instead of punishing all members for their actions :(

NO, man I really liked that forum. Although I took time off from the place every one in a while because I would just get too fired up, there were some great points and issues raised there. I don't think too many peoples opinions or views were ever changed, but it was fun and intellectual stimulating none the less. I don?t see how this would affect the rest of the board at all either. Many people I would disagree with in RWI, and then help the same person out later if I could in another computer/tech related area of Neowin. No offence Neobond but some of the people who agree with RWI being closed, I never even see them in RWI, I think they just agree to kiss up (no offence to anyone really, I may be wrong, just my opinion.) I just don?t see how a thread you never use would want closed. I never use the Coding, Mac, PDA, Icon sections, but I would not want them closed. Yes I understand that they are tech related and RWI is not, and there are less heated debates in those sections, but still? Anyways, the RWI was not why I am here in the first place, it was just a fun extra for me, I can live without it but it will be missed.

There are a few names here who frequent the RWI and I totally disregard your "kiss up" statement (so I wan't offended btw) because I don't believe that people are that shallow. By going on that pretext you could say that you voted against just for the soul purpose of being against an admin. hehe, I hope you realise I know this isn't the case in your situation.

I guess I did seek support for my actions but I also wanted to know how others felt, I know we were getting tired of moderating the same old ignorance.

:laugh: OK, sorry about the "kiss up" theory of mine, I am no rebel here. Anyways, we are in some very troubled times, so if it takes up more moderating time then it?s with that is fine and I totally understand.

If it does open up again, MxxCon had a great idea with blocking troublmakers from that section, if that is possible. I hope that I would not be blocked no:D:D

That's where any posts that a member makes must be accepted by a moderator before they're publicly viewable.

Ah ok. Surely that would increase the load of the moderators rather than decrease it?

It's a shame that RWI has been closed. I can understand the reasons, but I think people were on the whole behaving themselves.

Invision needs to come up with some sort of self-moderating system, in the same way that Slashdot works...

Ah ok. Surely that would increase the load of the moderators rather than decrease it?

Initially, yes... but once people see that they will have to wait hours for their posts to be approved throughout the entire board for their immature behavior in one forum, it will tend to make them think twice about trolling.

That's what we do over at the IPB Support Forums in our Political Chat forum, and it works great.

It's a shame that RWI has been closed. I can understand the reasons, but I think people were on the whole behaving themselves.

Invision needs to come up with some sort of self-moderating system, in the same way that Slashdot works...

As I mentioned earlier, 1.2 will make it possible for Admin to customize permissions for individual members, that way if somebody's being a troll in RWI but otherwise behaving, they can basically be "banned" from that forum by having their read access taken away from that forum.

These sound like excellent features. Good to see that people are adding intelligent features rather than just bloating the board software :)

I'll take a "null" vote on this one...

I agree its a shame that it is now closed. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I enjoyed the discussions on there even though i can understand that they became a little too "heated"

Maybe a self-modding feature may prove useful. It depends on what the mods and the community chooses.

I FULLY support the decision to close Real World Issues, it was making monsters out of normally responsible posters.

I agree. I know I don't post much on the boards (Not enough time in the day). But after spending some time over the past week reading some the posts in there, I lost respect for some people and gained it for others. I feel it's better to keep our political and religious views off the boards. The internet is supposed to be a global community and those two things alone break that up, much like it is in the real world.

Some people, such as myself, would like to bleong to a community/family that gets along with each other and wwants to help each other. Not the same kind of atmosphere that I get at work or on the street. Neowin is that kind of place. I want to treat and think of everyone here as equals, but after reading some of the stuff people had said it makes it difficult.

These are just my opinions on the matter.