Mac's - are they overpriced?

I'm not a mac hater, but something seems strange to me...

I can buy a laptop with better battery capacity,cpu, more ram, better gpu, higher res. display than the basic config macbook , and still get a lower price. I can even get all those things, and then buy a license of macosx, and STILL get a better price (not that i can use it out of the box).

Of course, the mac design is sleek and nice, but I am looking from a point of view where that does not matter.

AND, i bet that apple does not pay more for their components than other OEM's.

I beginning to wonder if either the computer it self is way overpriced, or the OS is highly expensive to create.

Please, these are my observations, and i just want to hears some of your opinions, mac users, and non-mac users.

Especially mac users.

Not intending this for flamebate, so DO NOT FLAME.

edit; Please people, I wrote; "Of course, the mac design is sleek and nice, but I am looking from a point of view where that does not matter. ". And please look away from the OS. Lets talk hardware technology, not OS (because then we could argue forever).

edit 16.11.2008; wow, damn how many replays I got to my thread. Also see that most has kept it objective, or at least a friendly tone to their posts :)

Edited by morphen

Yes they are,

I call it the Apple Syndrome where by uneducated Computer users see apple products on films and tv being used by their favourite characters which happens an awful lot.

Fair play to Apple for it's product placement.

And all they want a computer for is emails :(

yes its overpriced for normal folks who dont seek tight-integration, virus free environment, superior graphics (not only games) support, and ease of use which maximizes your work-output in general . its kinda apple tax , the extra money . not everyone agree that it should be that high, i am sure in coming years ,apple will soon bring the prices down to affordable or competitive range, if it believes it can take over the number 1 position with competitive prices and still be hugely profitable for its share-holders. its kinda walking tightrope for steve jobs.

anyway, if you seriously want to use Apple OS and not pay tax, you can google for hackintosh and OSx86 for pc, i am using Leopard on my HP laptop with everything working, wifi,games,webcam , working smoothly.

Mac's are for people that don't wanna mess with ****, i like to mess with ****, so were on the other side of the fence here.

yeah damn right they're overpriced FOR US.

some people can afford it, and actually use it and enjoy it more. its matter of needs.

also, my best regards to you that you wont get caught in the fanboys cross-fire

You can look at it in many ways. What you are paying premium for is the OS and the aesthetics.

Mac OSX wasn't meant to be run on PC's. Many of the consumers don't know about the hackintosh, nor would they care/have the time to configure it to work well on the PC. Those that are looking to buy a Mac are usually looking at the whole package.

If you look at the spec sheet and do a little tinkering, then yes, you could have your own Mac at half the price.

But it still isn't a Mac now, is it?

Explain please.. :D

By tinkering, I mean fidgeting with Mac OS X so that it can run on non-Apple x86 hardware.

If you look at this page, you can see a lot of the same hardware is used in other notebooks (well, the important bits), so compatability tends to be ok. Tower's are easier and there are guides out there that show the parts to use that is compatible with Mac OS X.

That's all I am saying :)

Oh, and I didn't literally mean half the price.

Edited by psygn

That's all I am saying :)

Oh, and I didn't literally mean half the price :p

ah ya ofcourse. i know the hardware part is kindof used in many other laptops pcs and thats why how OSx86 project is possible , what i asked you is , you saying "Its still not Mac", apart from that 4-5% of hardware incompatibility (which you will hardly notice) , its darn close to Mac and its is totally a Mac as far i can say, cause i am using Leopard on my almost 2 yr old HP 6114tx pavilion using it as my Main work hackintop.

post-12634-1224056214_thumb.jpg

ah ya ofcourse. i know the hardware part is kindof used in many other laptops pcs and thats why how OSx86 project is possible , what i asked you is , you saying "Its still not Mac", apart from that 4-5% of hardware incompatibility (which you will hardly notice) , its darn close to Mac and its is totally a Mac as far i can say, cause i am using Leopard on my almost 2 yr old HP 6114tx pavilion using it as my Main work hackintop.

Sure, it's close to functioning like one. When I say "it's still not a Mac", I'm talking about the whole Mac experience beyond the OS. The innards may mostly be the same as its competitors, but the Apple brand and design is something that you just won't get with a hackintosh. Oh, and the support as well.

Just to justify, the premium you pay for Macs also account for it's industrial design, research and development in various innovations in the industry, the OS and rest of the package, hassle free environment and life easing software, and somewhat of a fashion statement to shout "I have a better computer".

but the Apple brand and design is something that you just won't get with a hackintosh. Oh, and the support as well.

* yup agree , i cant turn heads around using this hackintop in crowds

* asking for support, for guys like me, will be like pussying out. I am Linux admin and it will be disgrace if ppl like me ask for support :D.

I agree that you do pay a slight premium for buying into the Apple brand. But, at the end of the day, Apple don't make cheap computers out of ****ty plastic. Your paying for the Apple brand, the whole 'package' so to speak. No other computer manufacturer makes computers like Apple do. The only PC manufacturer that comes close is Alienware - and we all now how expensive they are. I know some are higher spec but its still horrible plastic and not very environmentally friendly. Despite Apple stuff costing a bit more (even iPods cost more than the equivalent) I will never buy a 'generic' PC again.

Dell = Ford

Apple = Ferrari

It really depends on the product and how you use it. Sometimes I think they're overpriced, and then sometimes I don't.

As has already been said, a few reasons to justify the higher prices - the design and build quality of the products is second to none. Anyone who owns / works with Macs will agree that the reason they cost so much more is not because of the guts of the machines but because of the quality of the packaging (and by that I mean the computer and its case). I have under my desk a 4 year old Powermac G5 and it is absolutely beautiful and absolutely hands down takes a big steaming dump on ANY computer case i've worked in over the last 10+ years. It all fits together perfectly, is solid, and finished to an incredibly high standard. Similarly my iMac blew me away when I got it, and it still does - it's exquisite!

The customer support is also excellent. To put it into context, I recently went with my dad to pick up a new laptop. We shopped around online and in person and found a pretty decent deal on one for ?350 at our local Comet. We went in, asked for the laptop and proceeded to get the usual salesman BS about needing an extended warranty, about how the screen and the keyboard (!!!) are not even covered under the standard manufacturers warranty, etc. There weren't even any restore discs in the box - they were an extra expense. There is none of that nonsense with the Mac - you buy it, you know the whole damn thing is covered by warranty. You can make an appointment at a Genius Bar in your local Apple Store and know that they'll probably be able to fix the problem and won't spend time passing the blame around on whether it's a hardware or software problem. Peace of mind is worth paying for IMHO.

I think those two points alone justify the higher costs personally. Don't get me wrong, I'm continually disappointed by how Apple price their kit and always disappointed that they don't cater for PC gamers who want to move to Macs (unless they're willing to pay out for a Mac Pro) but overall they're a great company to be a customer of.

They're not exactly budget computers are they?

Comparing prices in the same segment between other brands tells us one thing: some Macs are actually cheaper.

It'd be nice if people who simply say that they're overpriced at least justify or explain why they think so..

Yup, a lot of people just compare the hardcore specs without taking into account all the other factors.

Of course they are GROSSLY overpriced, Dell just introduced a Centrino 2 based Studio 15, if you spec it up the same as Macbook Pro its $1000 cheaper and better specced because it has Blu-Ray drive, 1920x1200 WLED screen non super glossy, 7200rpm drive instead of 5400, 2 mouse buttons, fingerprint sensor. Imo it looks a lot nicer than the Macbook as well:

dell_studio_15_600.jpg

Yup, a lot of people just compare the hardcore specs without taking into account all the other factors.

Im not digging at you personally but it annoys me when Mac owners say stuff like that "but its the overall package" just to try and justify the $100s they spend extra on a Macbook, i couldnt care less what package you get, Steve Jobs could hand deliver it himself its nowhere NEAR worth the extra $1000 over a better specced machine.

The Dell is a nice looking notebook I admit. Apple's notebooks feature multiple trackpad buttons - you just configure them how you want in software. I never understood the point of fingerprint readers - is it security? Surely that is better suited to a business notebook not a consumer model. In any case, iris recognition via the built-in camera would be better (and much more secure) then there is no need for something extra on the palm rest.

I admit I was a bit gutted that Apple didn't include Blu-ray support. However, thinking about it, why would I need it? Unless the Blu-ray drive is also a writer then I don't see the point. Why would I want to watch a Blu-ray movie at 1080p on a 15-inch screen? It's silly. You only get the benefit of 1080p HD when viewed on a 40-inch HD + screen anyway. Not to mention watching a movie will suck the life out of that battery.

Until you need to use software update. :p

Of course they are GROSSLY overpriced, Dell just introduced a Centrino 2 based Studio 15, if you spec it up the same as Macbook Pro its $1000 cheaper and better specced because it has Blu-Ray drive, 1920x1200 WLED screen non super glossy, 7200rpm drive instead of 5400, 2 mouse buttons, fingerprint sensor. Imo it looks a lot nicer than the Macbook as well:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/me...udio_15_600.jpg

Im not digging at you personally but it annoys me when Mac owners say stuff like that "but its the overall package" just to try and justify the $100s they spend extra on a Macbook, i couldnt care less what package you get, Steve Jobs could hand deliver it himself its nowhere NEAR worth the extra $1000 over a better specced machine.

A few things to add to your comment:

The Dell doesn't have:

- Multi-touch trackpad

- backlit keyboard

- Magsafe

- Sudden Motion Sensor

- Aluminum body

- OS X (my main reason for using macs)

On one hand I agree Mac's are overpriced.

But at the same time, they are not. Buying a Mac means buying a computer that's stylish / industrially designed.

It's like asking if a BMW is overpriced when you can buy a GM vehicle that also has 4 wheels and an engine and will more than likely get you to the same destination.

It's a matter of design / style / choice. Buy what you like.

I admit I was a bit gutted that Apple didn't include Blu-ray support. However, thinking about it, why would I need it? Unless the Blu-ray drive is also a writer then I don't see the point. Why would I want to watch a Blu-ray movie at 1080p on a 15-inch screen? It's silly. You only get the benefit of 1080p HD when viewed on a 40-inch HD + screen anyway. Not to mention watching a movie will suck the life out of that battery.

I agree that why would you need Blu-Ray but my point was for $1000 less you could have Blu-Ray drive and the appropriate screen resolution to watch it on if you so wished. If you think you wouldnt be able to see the difference watching a DVD or a Blu-ray on a 1920x1200 15" screen then you need glasses :p

A few things to add to your comment:

The Dell doesn't have:

- Multi-touch trackpad

- backlit keyboard

- Magsafe

- Sudden Motion Sensor

- Aluminum body

- OS X (my main reason for using macs)

Multitouch gesture controls IMO are awkward to use, when you are not using your Mac out and about most people will just use a mouse.

Backlit keyboard would be nice but you dont need that during the day and at night unless you like living in a pitch black room the screen will provide enough brightness so you can see the keys.

Magsafe is great but $1000 extra great?

Sudden Motion sensor is an optional upgrade on most Dells still not worth $1000 extra

Aluminium body this is pretty much subjective, i prefer the look of the Dell than to the Macbook, having an aluminium body over a plastic one doesnt increase the functions of a notebook it just looks shiny and pretty

OS X is probably one of the ONLY reasons to own a Mac, still not worth $1000 extra though

On one hand I agree Mac's are overpriced.

But at the same time, they are not. Buying a Mac means buying a computer that's stylish / industrially designed.

It's like asking if a BMW is overpriced when you can buy a GM vehicle that also has 4 wheels and an engine and will more than likely get you to the same destination.

It's a matter of design / style / choice. Buy what you like.

No its like saying a BMW is overpriced when you can buy a GM vehicle that has the exact same specs with more added features for less money, you are paying for the BMW badge just like you are paying for Apple design despite it being far more expensive.

No they are not.

They used to be expensive for what you get, but now the software included makes the price justifiable.

I mean you get a Rock Solid OS - the peace of mind that you don't have to bother with Antivirus software, and that it's not going to get infected with spyware. You get a simple photo editing app, music making software, a movie maker - all of which are much better than whats included on Windows Vista.

No they are not.

They used to be expensive for what you get, but now the software included makes the price justifiable.

I mean you get a Rock Solid OS - the peace of mind that you don't have to bother with Antivirus software, and that it's not going to get infected with spyware.

Its called common sense, i dont get virii or spyware, i dont NEED to run it but i do for piece of mind, its not a hardship to run it and it wont kill my pet/family if i do, i dont get why people are so against having to run Antivirus just because OSX with its small marketshare isnt the main focus for virii writers.

You get a simple photo editing app, music making software, a movie maker - all of which are much better than whats included on Windows Vista.

Yeah because if Microsoft include better fuller featured ones they get sued to high heaven and people crying monopoly so they have to either rip them out or dumb them down, but when Apple includes them its the best thing ever.

Its quite sad really how deluded people are just because Apple has a better design team and Marketing/PR people.