Mac's - are they overpriced?

Don't forget you also get Leopard. I know you can run Leopard on non-Apple hardware but it's simply not the same. Also the iLife suite of apps - there is nothing on Windows that even comes close to the iLife apps.

I agree that you do pay a slight premium for buying into the Apple brand. But, at the end of the day, Apple don't make cheap computers out of ****ty plastic. Your paying for the Apple brand, the whole 'package' so to speak. No other computer manufacturer makes computers like Apple do. The only PC manufacturer that comes close is Alienware - and we all now how expensive they are. I know some are higher spec but its still horrible plastic and not very environmentally friendly. Despite Apple stuff costing a bit more (even iPods cost more than the equivalent) I will never buy a 'generic' PC again.

Dell = Ford

Apple = Ferrari Fully loaded Ford with additional coat of paint.

Fixed that for you. :p

The Dell is a nice looking notebook I admit. Apple's notebooks feature multiple trackpad buttons - you just configure them how you want in software. I never understood the point of fingerprint readers - is it security? Surely that is better suited to a business notebook not a consumer model. In any case, iris recognition via the built-in camera would be better (and much more secure) then there is no need for something extra on the palm rest.

I admit I was a bit gutted that Apple didn't include Blu-ray support. However, thinking about it, why would I need it? Unless the Blu-ray drive is also a writer then I don't see the point. Why would I want to watch a Blu-ray movie at 1080p on a 15-inch screen? It's silly. You only get the benefit of 1080p HD when viewed on a 40-inch HD + screen anyway. Not to mention watching a movie will suck the life out of that battery.

Fingerprint readers...some can say the same for magsafe, backlit keyboard etc. etc. I would scratch all those reasons and just say one thing. Apple has far better build quality than Dell. If it's worth the price premium or not, is subjective.

I dont think it is, no one is arguing or flaming just someone offering a differing viewpoint.

Don't forget you also get Leopard. I know you can run Leopard on non-Apple hardware but it's simply not the same. Also the iLife suite of apps - there is nothing on Windows that even comes close to the iLife apps.

How is it "not the same" its exactly the same with the right specs, but i dont want to turn this into an OSX86 debate.

I agree the main reason for buying a Mac is the operating system. As for iLife im sure there are other products on Windows PCs that are not bundled together but cost the same.

Fingerprint readers...some can say the same for magsafe, backlit keyboard etc. etc. I would scratch all those reasons and just say one thing. Apple has far better build quality than Dell. If it's worth the price premium or not, is subjective.

Well, I think the magnetic power cord (MagSafe) is a great idea and often wondered why it has never been done before. The backlit keyboard is a godsend to me as I often use my MBP in low-light. Now I just wish my TV and PS3 remotes were backlit.

They are really overpriced, but I have to admit the new MacBook Pros are the first ones to get me seriously considering buying one. Apple do tend to think out of the box a bit, the new glass trackpad that itself is a clickable button looks awesome.

How is it "not the same" its exactly the same with the right specs, but i dont want to turn this into an OSX86 debate.

I guess it just doesn't feel right. You can flame me for that if your want but it's like doing graphic design or photographic work in Windows. The same goes for using Windows on a Mac. That doesn't feel right either. Hard to explain I guess.

Yes, is many ways they are. That does not change the fact that as an MCSE, CCNA and MCDBA, I have bought Macs for use in my home for years. It does not change the fact that many, many of my colleagues also own Macs at home. We often see the cost of the units as secondary to the perceived ease of use, tool integration and out-of-the-box experience. I am pretty sure we are not stupid people, we just prioritize differently than some others.

I guess it just doesn't feel right. You can flame me for that if your want but it's like doing graphic design or photographic work in Windows. The same goes for using Windows on a Mac. That doesn't feel right either. Hard to explain I guess.

No i dont want to flame anyone i just wondered why it was different considering Macs used intel chipsets and cpus.

Also don't forget that the MacBook Air is now Penryn-based and the MacBook and MacBook Pro are Montevina-based. I don't think they were before.

Well, they are a bit.

But the new MacBook is where the game is at.

For one time, Apple closed a lot more the gap between the normal and the Pro.

The All alluminium case and black parts make it gorgeous and finally go over the damn white "Apple-ish" look.

But don't compare Apple MacBook to Dells, It's the Sony Vaio SR that look the mush to Apple and it's the best way to show that Apple are still *slightly* overpriced.

Well, I think the magnetic power cord (MagSafe) is a great idea and often wondered why it has never been done before. The backlit keyboard is a godsend to me as I often use my MBP in low-light. Now I just wish my TV and PS3 remotes were backlit.

MagSafe is indeed a great idea...

However, I can't see a reason why some people would need a backlit keyboard? I touch type, I don't look at keyboard whilst doing so, hence the lack of requirement for backlighting.

As for game console controllers and remote controls, once I have it physically in my hand, I know where the buttons are...

Please note the above is just my personal opinion.

Where is the cheapest place to get a MacBook in the UK? I had a look and a 15" MBP with an SSD is just over ?2000 - can they be found cheaper?

By the SSD somewhere else might save some cash and don't by RAM from Apple either.

ah ya ofcourse. i know the hardware part is kindof used in many other laptops pcs and thats why how OSx86 project is possible , what i asked you is , you saying "Its still not Mac", apart from that 4-5% of hardware incompatibility (which you will hardly notice) , its darn close to Mac and its is totally a Mac as far i can say, cause i am using Leopard on my almost 2 yr old HP 6114tx pavilion using it as my Main work hackintop.

Why don't you update to 10.5.5? It's been out for a while now on Software Update.

Why don't you update to 10.5.5? It's been out for a while now on Software Update.

Nice smartarsed comment there, 10.5.5 been available for hackintosh for a while now.

They are overpriced and these new ones are taking it too far. Still, the quality and finish in unmatched. I really don't know how PC makers can't do something similar. It can't be that hard surely.

For the Windows crowd what compares to a Macbook in looks and finish ?

It's a little overpriced, (10%-15%) but it's still worth it.

Look at the things an iMac includes for example :

- An airport-n card

- A good webcam

- A great keyboard that is a USB hub and a mouse (I hate this one, but it's still there)

- Awesome integrated speakers with subwoofer

- A bluetooth card

- A good range of ports (USB2, firewire, firewire2, firewire3, optical audio out, and whatnot...)

- A CD/DVD-burner

- The latest iLife

- The latest release of Mac OS

- A remote control (I think it's still included)

- An awesome display

- An awesome, highly recyclable conception/design.

- The rest of the price goes for the main hardware.

It's really an out-of-the-box thing, it has nearly everything you ever wanted. Sometimes they do some sacrifices on the hardware, I know, but all in all it's a winning product. Now I only talked about an iMac, but think about the rest the same way.

All of this costs a lot of RnD, you've got to think about it. Crazy designs like these are not made in one or two days, and you know they are always looking into innovations, and they're the leaders in that branch.

Nice smartarsed comment there, 10.5.5 been available for hackintosh for a while now.

What do you mean? A legal hackintosh system should be able to update it through software update.