Mac's - are they overpriced?

lol... i saw this question.

and my mind popped... yes.. Yes .. YES!!!!!

anyway.. its really a yes.. since we (my mate and i.. bought a couple of macs from a failed company.. half of them had capacitors thick or broken..

and they were around 3 years old.. some.. 2 years.. but they had the same problem.. only 2 were.. almost brandnew.. and they looked fine..

Aluminum_Electrolytic_Capacitor.jpg

lol... i saw this question.

and my mind popped... yes.. Yes .. YES!!!!!

anyway.. its really a yes.. since we (my mate and i.. bought a couple of macs from a failed company.. half of them had capacitors thick or broken..

and they were around 3 years old.. some.. 2 years.. but they had the same problem.. only 2 were.. almost brandnew.. and they looked fine..

Aluminum_Electrolytic_Capacitor.jpg

So you bought 2 Macs from a failed company. So half of them had bad capacitors. So only ONE of them was defective? And they were older. But another two (so you had more than a couple) were almost new, and looked fine. Well if they looked fine, how did you know about the fitness of the part you mentioned? Did you take apart the ones that looked fine as well?

Your particular defective product (certainly not indicative of the white Macbook line as a whole) had nothing to do with the product's pricing. And most of your post made no sense.

Edited by LTD

edit; Please people, I wrote; "Of course, the mac design is sleek and nice, but I am looking from a point of view where that does not matter. ". And please look away from the OS. Lets talk hardware technology, not OS (because then we could argue forever).

I purchased my iMac back in late 2006. From a hardware perspective - yes it is overpriced, but not significantly (when considered to an iMac). However if I primarily used Windows at home I would not bother with a Macintosh. Why would someone buy a Mac if it weren't for the operating system?

...yes it is overpriced, but not significantly (when considered to an iMac)...

here's the problem, iMac. why pay so much for this "iMac" and not pc??? :p

...this what people would argue about...

:)

So is that why the new alu MB's have issues using 4 GB of RAM, or some have the same faulty Nvidia GPUs as other PC OEMs?

Firstly, these machines when shipped with 4 GB of RAM from Apple work perfectly fine. DDR3 notebook RAM isn't exactly common yet, so the specifications need to match those of Apple's memory exactly for maximum compatibility. What do you expect, it's a new product.

Secondly, the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT is not faulty, stop listening to The Inquirer's false reporting. The reason why there are reports of "black screen" outages is because 99% of those reporting issues are running Windows under Boot Camp playing games, and the fans weren't kicking in (because Windows doesn't always know how to "talk" to the system management controller at times); Apple just recently updated both the EFI firmware and the SMC firmware to correct such issues.

As for the reported external display issues, is isn't a hardware failure whatsoever, it's really caused by the NVIDIA kernel extensions that shipped with the build of Mac OS X 10.5.5 on the new models. Mac OS X 10.5.6 should remedy this.

here's the problem, iMac. why pay so much for this "iMac" and not pc??? :p

...this what people would argue about...

:)

Which I then stated...

However if I primarily used Windows at home I would not bother with a Macintosh. Why would someone buy a Mac if it weren't for the operating system?

But in all honesty I wouldn't argue about it. What point am I trying to prove? That Mac's are cheap? Hell no.

I knew before my purchase that I would be paying the "Apple tax", but I feel that it's paid off. I've had a really enjoyable experience at home on my iMac:

• It's always fast, always reliable. I've never had one 'BSOD' or Kernel panic (touch wood).
  • No spyware or any of that crap.
  • No driver issues.

It just works, which is simply why I feel comfortable with spending a bit extra. :)

Firstly, these machines when shipped with 4 GB of RAM from Apple work perfectly fine. DDR3 notebook RAM isn't exactly common yet, so the specifications need to match those of Apple's memory exactly for maximum compatibility. What do you expect, it's a new product.

Secondly, the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT is not faulty, stop listening to The Inquirer's false reporting. The reason why there are reports of "black screen" outages is because 99% of those reporting issues are running Windows under Boot Camp playing games, and the fans weren't kicking in (because Windows doesn't always know how to "talk" to the system management controller at times); Apple just recently updated both the EFI firmware and the SMC firmware to correct such issues.

As for the reported external display issues, is isn't a hardware failure whatsoever, it's really caused by the NVIDIA kernel extensions that shipped with the build of Mac OS X 10.5.5 on the new models. Mac OS X 10.5.6 should remedy this.

So basically nothing is Apple's fault.

But in all honesty I wouldn't argue about it. What point am I trying to prove? That Mac's are cheap? Hell no.

I knew before my purchase that I would be paying the "Apple tax", but I feel that it's paid off. I've had a really enjoyable experience at home on my iMac:

• It's always fast, always reliable. I've never had one 'BSOD' or Kernel panic (touch wood).
  • No spyware or any of that crap.
  • No driver issues.

It just works, which is simply why I feel comfortable with spending a bit extra. :)

& that's why I've switched and many other Windows users. Peace of mind and a reliable, less prone to problem systems. To me that's worth the Apple Tax or whatever people call it, it's worth every penny and it's money very well spent.

I wish one eyed Windows users (I use a Windows and Mac computer, prefer Mac by >99.8%) that will never buy a Mac and just come here to spam and spread FUD, would just go back to their 'rock solid' Windows PC's.

A side note, in my whole time as a Windows PC user, I could never call Windows 'rock solid'. So good luck with that.

I paid the Apple tax, yes :p

But it was worth it. My brother bought a Dell Inspiron 13 with Vista, which runs well enough, but OS X just feels SO much better. I can't explain it.

Plus, I think the iMac is pretty sexy. :o

A product is worth whatever the consumer is willing to pay. Technically speaking you could build a similar hardware configuration for a fraction of the price, which leaves the software, which I personally don't think is worth the extra money. Macs are nice but I'm happy using a Windows system, none of the common arguments against the Windows platform seem to apply to me, my install is fast, stable and does everything I want it to, so I have no use for a Mac.

I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are, some people would prefer to pay more knowing that there will probably be less issues. Or there's people like me that would rather save the cash for something more important and spend a little extra time dealing with whatever issues may arise (and learn more in the process). It paid off for me because I've barely had any Windows issues in 10+ years of computing, I cant even remember my last BSOD/crash and my setup is as fast as the day I installed it.

that's my point, that's ALL it is. why pay soo much for it ?

Honestly, why nag so much for what others pay in the first place?

It seems that since you dont listen to other people reasons then it must be personal for you. You really care.

Why is it that everyone must argue over anything Apple? It's nice when people post their POV but when people reply "Your wrong and I'm right" post it's just so dam enoyin. Also people just keep repeting each other and the same thing is said in a diffrant way. Try actually listening to other people's views and reply constructivly, is it that hard?

You can't compare on spec's alone. compare a hp/dell consumer class notebook with a business one at the same spec and you will soon notice the price diffrance. Many people have stated that consumers/they buy a Mac because it just works and the high build quality & quality of materials. No one said there is never any problems with production and things don't fail.

Somthing I really wanted to point out is upgrading your standard configiration, something that seems to have been overlooked.

HP vs Apple Laptop Upgrade (not incluing special offers)

Upgrading Memory from 2GB >>> 4GB = Win HP ($100), Apple ($150)

Upgrading a Hard Drive from 250GB @ 5400RPM >>> 250GB @ 7200RPM = Draw, both cost $75

Upgrading a Hard Drive from 250GB @ 5400RPM >>> 320GB @ 5400RPM = Win HP($75), Apple ($100)

Upgrading a Hard Drive from 250GB @ 5400RPM >>> 320GB @ 7200RPM = Win Apple($150), HP ($225)

Looking at that would you say apple hardware is excessivly overpriced?

Edited by McDave

that's my point, that's ALL it is. why pay soo much for it ?

Wow, why would you even say that? Go read the past 30 pages if you are still that oblivious.

Anyway, my opinion:

My iMac is more stable and reliable in my experiences.

BUT, I find my laptop & desktop (i.e Windows machines) to be more practical for my needs as a college student.

I bought an iMac because it was another world to explore. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I really care if one is faster or looks better? No, because you can be equally as productive on either depending on your needs.

This is another endless battle because people are too arrogant to even consider anybody's views. Just like religion and politics.

I dont think they are overpriced. Macs generally last more than PCs. The closed hardware approach low them to code their OS for specific models and that has helped a lot of vintage systems. To this date many very old macs are still working. I know the same can be said about PCs but honestly, and this is based on experience and some other testimonials around the net, the percentage of olds pcs working are lower than the proportional on on Macs. Macs have longer life.

Also, target markets are quite different. The pc users usually like and want to upgrade everything, specially gamers. In the other hand, and again thanks to their closed hardware approach, Macs can go a long way without upgrades other than the ocassional RAM upgrade.

Im not saying that Macs are better than PCs. Im just saying that they have a clearly different philosophy. Macs can be expensive at the beggining but cheap in the long term if you take proper care to them.

seriously, im starting to believe thats a complete myth, i used a friends mac a couple times. doesn't seem so...

besides, it doesn't even 1/4 make up for the hardware improvment, which would build the gap by alot if it WERE true.

sorry for misspels dont have time to run spellchek plzkthxbai.

in a few years apple & linux will both require antivirus software and such. i do agree that vista is pretty secure now, performs well too.

linux doesn't "luanch" an antivir, its not a company.

linux, nix based system have tons of antivirus options, unix has insane open source security messures, and completely simple.

apple users i bet, will have to pay a 400$ premium to not get jacked from thy home page :/

apple users i bet, will have to pay a 400$ premium to not get jacked from thy home page :/

Just stating the obvious: They won't.

And imo this really depends on how much you think the user experience R&D that went into Macs (hardware design, OS, integration, etc, etc.) is worth. To me it was well worth the price I paid.

wctaiwan

I would just like someone to take a mac strip it of its components and rebuild it using off the shelf components and just give it to a mac fanboy and see if they can tell the difference or claim the apple experience is there :p

i reckon they wouldn't be able to and thus would be forking over a large amount of cash for a shiny casing

i don't understand why people care what their comps look like (desktops) usually people keep them under a table and are looking at the monitor >< and aluminum sucks dints to easily

an ipod touch i had slipped off my shoe and hit the ground and it crumbled near the headphone port i'll take hard plastic any day

I would just like someone to take a mac strip it of its components and rebuild it using off the shelf components and just give it to a mac fanboy and see if they can tell the difference or claim the apple experience is there :p

i reckon they wouldn't be able to and thus would be forking over a large amount of cash for a shiny casing

i don't understand why people care what their comps look like (desktops) usually people keep them under a table and are looking at the monitor >< and aluminum sucks dints to easily

an ipod touch i had slipped off my shoe and hit the ground and it crumbled near the headphone port i'll take hard plastic any day

Well, some people have eyes, ill give mac's that.

Mac's exist to serve saxondale's shexy mexy office.

Mine fell on two occasions already. After the first fall, 2 pixels next to each other died. After the second fall they were alive again.

Binary damage FTW!

Oh, and on topic: How about a new thread "PC's - are they underpriced?"

I'm very much a PC Gamer so for me Mac's aren't all that expensive as a machine, but when I look at what they have inside for the price, they are rather over-priced imo as I can get a x86 (PC) machine almost twice as powerful for the same cash.

Joined with their pretty much total inability to play new games, all the good looking cases in the world won't win me over...

Also I've used various versions of OS# and to put in a nutshell I frelling hate it. I'd far rather use Linux than OS#.

If your OS# doesn't include OS X, I have used both OS 9 and OS X extensively, and I can tell you, they're anything but similar. OS X is completely different and way, way better than anything Apple had before.

If your OS# includes OS X, well, uh, there isn't much I can say.

Oh, and I should add, OS X before Jaguar (10.2) was rather unfinished in the opinion of many prominent Mac bloggers / whatnot. Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5) are the versions I've used, and both are great, in my opinion.

wctaiwan