Blu-ray is dead

You would think this would mean a big boost for the PS3, but somehow it's still getting dominated in sales.

Standalone players are cheaper now!

There was blu ray players coming in at $150 for black friday.

Even in Walmart now, the most expensive player is still $100 cheaper than a PS3.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have they looked at the release schedules? back catalogue titles are comign in thick and fast, as well as nearly every new dvd release has a BD release the same day.

Fail article

Just because it not biting DVD much, doesn't mean its gonna fail. for the first few years, VHS outsold DVD. Just history repeating itself.

No but this time the next format is already squeezing blu-ray. It's unlikely it's ever gonna get very popular. The credit crunch has pretty much killed blu-rays hopes of taking off quickly which it needed to succeed.

No but this time the next format is already squeezing blu-ray. It's unlikely it's ever gonna get very popular. The credit crunch has pretty much killed blu-rays hopes of taking off quickly which it needed to succeed.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=590266070

:blink:

Like 5 posts above yours...

DVD was a significant leap forward from VHS:

* No more rewinding tapes after watching

* Can easily skip between chapters

* No more head cleaning

* Slimmer disc cases, slimmer players

* Cheaper to produce

* Media lasts a lot longer and can get more plays out of (if taken care of)

* Superior Video and Sound.

Blu-ray only has superior video and sound over DVD. Most people (me included) just don't find themselves enjoying movies more because of surround sound and video. Still, there are enough to keep the market alive until Blu-ray prices match or beat DVD making DVD an obsolete product.

As for digital downloads: My Internet connection is not fast enough for that to be a good option....yet...

DVD was a significant leap forward from VHS:

* No more rewinding tapes after watching

* Can easily skip between chapters

* No more head cleaning

* Slimmer disc cases, slimmer players

* Cheaper to produce

* Media lasts a lot longer and can get more plays out of (if taken care of)

* Superior Video and Sound.

Blu-ray only has superior video and sound over DVD. Most people (me included) just don't find themselves enjoying movies more because of surround sound and video. Still, there are enough to keep the market alive until Blu-ray prices match or beat DVD making DVD an obsolete product.

As for digital downloads: My Internet connection is not fast enough for that to be a good option....yet...

Agreed. I was just watching "Underworld: Evolution" on my upscaled DVD player the other day. Wow, the DVD looks amazing when upconverted. I can't picture Blu-ray looking significantly better.

I'm quite sharpeyed when it comes to video quality, and the light blocking around objects that is evident in upscaled content vs the smooth edges the BD has is really noticable for me.