Blu-ray is dead

SakuraKira    12
It's ironic I buy $50-60 games (like 2 in a year) but I refuse to pay $40 for a new movie (on BD that is)

You get more for your money when buying a $50 game though. If a game's play time is at least 10 hours, that's about 5 movies, at $200 total if they're all BD. That doesn't even factor in the hours and hours of online play that some games are capable of.

smooth_criminal1990    75

could happen if blu-ray hardware & movies don't fall in price dramatically. Wasn't that what accelerated DVDs onto our screens?

Coldgunner    12
could happen if blu-ray hardware & movies don't fall in price dramatically. Wasn't that what accelerated DVDs onto our screens?

Dvd's took a few years to really crash in price, Blu ray is still considered a 'new' format, blu ray is currently been parrallel to the DVD timeline.

NateB1    75

Just FYI - I went to someone's house, and they have a 5.1 surround sound system - with 5 out of 6 speakers in front pointed at them from beside the TV. The other one was on a table somewhere on the side.

If they don't care how their surround system is set up, they certainly won't care if the image is sharper on their TV. DVD is plenty fine for most people - only audiophiles/videophiles can justify spending $$$$$ to set up an HD system.

Kenji    34

Ah, I remember when my family thought my parents were crazy for backing/buying DVDs instead of sticking to VHS.

Richardarkless    0

lol I have just decided I will not be getting a blue-ray player

bdsams    365

it will take off, it will be quite some time before physical media takes off...

If you think about it our generation is the first that accepts buying something doesnt mean having to actually be able to hold it....software, music downloads, ect

Our parents still like physical media and the movie studios will push blu-ray out

Emn1ty    4,387
I can notice a difference on my 40" set, but true the smaller you go the less important it really gets.

Actually the PS3 will be quickly being phased out as the Blu Ray player to get amongst casuals, as Blu Ray players can now be purchased for cheaper.

For someone not interested in gaming, what's the point in spending the extra cash?

Or someone who isn't invested heavily in specifications, most likely the casuals who in many cases prioritise price over features.

Downloads will always co-inside with physical media for movies, but right now I do not foresee downloads passing physical for the foreseeable future, meaning there HAS to be a physical option on the market, making this whole topic of "is blu ray dead" rather pointless.

The PS3 won't, because for a marginal price increase you get a player that is constantly updated through the web, meaning it will always be up to date with its software making it more future proof than any of the other players. Then throw in the ability to use it as a multimedia device for both digital downloads, music, and gaming you can't beat the PS3 has a home entertainment system. At target the cheapest Blu-Ray players we sell are a mere $50 cheaper than the PS3. At those price people really don't care what is "cheaper" anymore and only want what will last.

Just FYI - I went to someone's house, and they have a 5.1 surround sound system - with 5 out of 6 speakers in front pointed at them from beside the TV. The other one was on a table somewhere on the side.

If they don't care how their surround system is set up, they certainly won't care if the image is sharper on their TV. DVD is plenty fine for most people - only audiophiles/videophiles can justify spending $$$$$ to set up an HD system.

Exactly my point.

+Audioboxer    2,876
The PS3 won't, because for a marginal price increase you get a player that is constantly updated through the web, meaning it will always be up to date with its software making it more future proof than any of the other players. Then throw in the ability to use it as a multimedia device for both digital downloads, music, and gaming you can't beat the PS3 has a home entertainment system. At target the cheapest Blu-Ray players we sell are a mere $50 cheaper than the PS3. At those price people really don't care what is "cheaper" anymore and only want what will last.

Um what?

You have like a bajillion topics on NW from people complaining about Blu Ray prices and you're now saying price doesn't matter, people will buy the most feature packed?

Uhhh no, not if market trends are to go by.

Complete saturation comes when you can get players dirt cheap, and I guarantee you there will end up more standalone Blu Ray players worldwide, than there will be PS3s used as a Blu Ray player.

Plus how many DVD players do people own in their home on average? I do not think people will be buying 2-3-4 PS3s per household.

And FYI as well, many standalone Blu Ray players out there now will update from the internet as well, through a USB stick.

Emn1ty    4,387
Um what?

You have like a bajillion topics on NW from people complaining about Blu Ray prices and you're now saying price doesn't matter, people will buy the most feature packed?

Uhhh no, not if market trends are to go by.

Complete saturation comes when you can get players dirt cheap, and I guarantee you there will end up more standalone Blu Ray players worldwide, than there will be PS3s used as a Blu Ray player.

Plus how many DVD players do people own in their home on average? I do not think people will be buying 2-3-4 PS3s per household.

And FYI as well, many standalone Blu Ray players out there now will update from the internet as well, through a USB stick.

From my experience selling these things in actual retail, once prices hit over $250 to $300 or so people begin to make bigger leaps in cash for better products. At a difference of $349.99 for an OK player to $400 for 80GB of hard drive space, an player that is constantly updated, the ability to stream music AND play games, would you not spend a mere $50 extra? What I am trying to say is that these people want their money's worth alongside something that has a decent price tag. The PS3 is just that.

And right now, people usually only want one blu-ray player for their main entertainment center. Most people buy normal DVD players from Target and not the PS3 or Blu-Ray. Updates for the PS3 are also automatic with less hassle. Most people probably don't know you have to go to Sony's website, download something, put it on a flash drive and then plug it into the player. They never had to do it for DVD so what makes them think they should do it for Blu-Ray?

Southern Patriot    974
All I was pointing out was TVs being sold now are largely in part coming with full 1080p at many entry level sizes.

No TV below 40" being sold at most Wal-Mart stores supports 1080p, they are all 720p. Most of the 42" and above TV's do support 1080p (other than the plasmas, all of which are 720p), but sales of those are far outnumbered by the sales of smaller sets, at least at the store where I work.

+Audioboxer    2,876
From my experience selling these things in actual retail, once prices hit over $250 to $300 or so people begin to make bigger leaps in cash for better products. At a difference of $349.99 for an OK player to $400 for 80GB of hard drive space, an player that is constantly updated, the ability to stream music AND play games, would you not spend a mere $50 extra? What I am trying to say is that these people want their money's worth alongside something that has a decent price tag. The PS3 is just that.

And right now, people usually only want one blu-ray player for their main entertainment center. Most people buy normal DVD players from Target and not the PS3 or Blu-Ray. Updates for the PS3 are also automatic with less hassle. Most people probably don't know you have to go to Sony's website, download something, put it on a flash drive and then plug it into the player. They never had to do it for DVD so what makes them think they should do it for Blu-Ray?

There is no way in hell a $250-300 movie player is going to saturate the casual market Emn1ty.

And if people don't know squat about updating what makes you think they'll even consider the PS3 automatically updating.

Standalone Blu Ray player sales will trash PS3 sales from a pricing perspective, no doubts at all.

Look at the PS2, it's still $120 or something, you can get a DVD player for like $30.

was it ever alive?

My Blu Ray discs talk to me, I think they are breathing just fine? :iiam:

Emn1ty    4,387
There is no way in hell a $250-300 movie player is going to saturate the casual market Emn1ty.

Which is why I have said Blu-Ray is not for the casual market.

And if people don't know squat about updating what makes you think they'll even consider the PS3 automatically updating.

Because they don't have to consider it beyond plugging it into a internet connection. The PS3 does it automatically, normal players don't. Automatic = less thought process.

Standalone Blu Ray player sales will trash PS3 sales from a pricing perspective, no doubts at all.

Sure, once they are at least $100 cheaper for a decently sized player (right now they are roughly twice the size of a normal DVD player, at least at Target).

Look at the PS2, it's still $120 or something, you can get a DVD player for like $30.

Cause DVD was out before the PS2 and was already gaining popularity. Besides, both the XBox and GameCube used a form of DVD so this is not the same situation.

rpgfan    0

I think Blu-ray will be around for a while, mainly because of the game consoles. I don't follow the format wars very closely, but last time I saw the numbers, HD-DVD was dead, leaving only Blu-ray. If game consoles don't use Blu-ray, will they go back to multi-disc games using DVDs? What about the HD content? Something's gotta give, and I doubt it'll be Blu-ray.

I am Reid    45
Sure, once they are at least $100 cheaper for a decently sized player (right now they are roughly twice the size of a normal DVD player, at least at Target).

The size of the player has NOTHING to do with anything, they are not meant to be portable.

besides, the PS3 is huge, so dosnt that kinda contradict what you have said?

Coldgunner    12
I think Blu-ray will be around for a while, mainly because of the game consoles. I don't follow the format wars very closely, but last time I saw the numbers, HD-DVD was dead, leaving only Blu-ray. If game consoles don't use Blu-ray, will they go back to multi-disc games using DVDs? What about the HD content? Something's gotta give, and I doubt it'll be Blu-ray.

You make a pretty good point, you can bet ur ass the Xbox720 and PS4 will use it.

Matrix XII    38

I don't think blu-ray will be around forever, but I think it will for at least 2-3 more years.

We all know that someday it will be all online buying/downloading movies and shows, but people like to get their hands on something that's physical and I don't think that an online store will appeal to the mainstream any time soon.

Seems like most people can hardly turn on an LCD TV and put in a blu-ray movie into a PS3 (or standalone) properly, let alone go through the 'hassle' of buying it online.

I say this because of experience (worked at Future Shop)..

+Audioboxer    2,876

Because they don't have to consider it beyond plugging it into a internet connection. The PS3 does it automatically, normal players don't. Automatic = less thought process.

Cause DVD was out before the PS2 and was already gaining popularity. Besides, both the XBox and GameCube used a form of DVD so this is not the same situation.

Player posted in here last week for $140 with 4 movies.

That comment is just plain stupid Emn1ty, Blu Ray is for everyone when it's affordable for you, and as prices drop below PS3 prices, standalone players become more viable for everyone.

Read my point again, if you're talking about a casual person who has no idea about updating, they won't consider the PS3 automatically updating as they know nothing about updates.

Glad we agree there.

Games consoles will never outsell standalone, as standalone will always become cheaper quicker.

In the U.S., mass retailer sales of DVD-Video titles and players began in late 1997.[17] By June 2003, weekly DVD-Video rentals began out-numbering weekly VHS cassette rentals, reflecting the rapid adoption rate of the technology in the U.S. marketplace.[18][19] Currently DVD-Video is the dominant form of home video distribution worldwide.

True but look how long it took to really kick off.

DaDude    83

Take a look at this article I found on yahoo: http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_...efficiency.html

Here's a quote from the last part of the article: "Viewing movies on a stand-alone unit is a lot more efficient. The Playstation 3, for example, uses five times more power than the stand-alone Sony Blu-Ray player to play the same movie."

I guess you people may want to think twice before buying a PS3 specially for Blu-ray movies. ;)

+StevoFC    22
I guess you people may want to think twice before buying a PS3 specially for Blu-ray movies. ;)

lol, when I play a blu-ray on my ps3 it's using less power than it usually does. I run folding@home 24 hours a day. Can't do that on my stand alone Samsung downstairs.

Coldgunner    12

And that kettle you boil while preparing to start the movie? Kettle don't boil on the power of faith no?

Emn1ty    4,387
The size of the player has NOTHING to do with anything, they are not meant to be portable.

besides, the PS3 is huge, so dosnt that kinda contradict what you have said?

Oh yes it does. Size has everything to do with it. Size doesn't only matter when things are portable devices. Sometimes people like things to be small and out of the way, or they don't have shelf space for the player so they need one that can fit underneath or in front of the television. Right now, even the PS3 takes up less lateral space than any stand alone Blu-Ray player I have seen. Even the DVD-VHS combo machines are sometimes smaller than the Blu-Ray players.

Player posted in here last week for $140 with 4 movies.

That comment is just plain stupid Emn1ty, Blu Ray is for everyone when it's affordable for you, and as prices drop below PS3 prices, standalone players become more viable for everyone.

No, it isn't plain stupid. Just because the player is bundled and cheap does not make it the best bang for your buck. What I am talking about is getting your money's worth, and right now the PS3 is more for your money. Bundles also are limited time offers, not standard releases, so even considering that as something to base your argument off of is stupid.

Read my point again, if you're talking about a casual person who has no idea about updating, they won't consider the PS3 automatically updating as they know nothing about updates.

This is why you tell them when you sell a product. The PS3 eliminates the need to do or know anything about updating beyond having it plugged into a connection. You tell them as long as it is plugged into the internet they will have THE most up-to-date player software wise and they like the sound of that.

Games consoles will never outsell standalone, as standalone will always become cheaper quicker.

Never said it would. As I said above, I am not trying to say buy a PS3 now and forever since it will be forever the best. What I am saying is that at this moment the PS3 is the best for your money as well as the easiest to keep up to date. It will save you money in the long run as a Blu-Ray player and can even double later as an extended media center with it's upgradeable HDD.

Edited by Joel
TogaForComfort    1

Just look in stores. I can only speak for to UK here. But store such as HVM and zavvi have a bigger Blu-ray section every time I go in them.

I'd say Blu-ray is far from dying. I do think mass penetration of the market will take longer than DVD's though for two reasons.

1. The benefits of blu-ray to the general public are not as big as DVD was over VHS (No rewind, immensely better picture and sound, no degredation after repeated viewing)

2. To gain the full benefits you need to buy a HD screen. Again the general public are not up for this. Many people I have spoken to are happy with their 32" SD CRT

• 3 weeks later...
soniqstylz    1,048

So, to quote myself....

Actually, that predicts well for Blu-ray. Historically, in hard times, people spend money on entertainment to make themselves feel better. It's how Hollywood blew up during the Great Depression. People have to cancel vacations they can't afford, so they end up buying new TVs/movies/etc.

And to quote this article...

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/938/938098p1.html

Blu-ray Sales Off The Charts

Consumers place Blu-ray players at the top of their holiday wish lists.

by Chris Iaquinta

US, December 12, 2008 - The holiday shopping season is at full intensity and consumers have made it clear that above all else they want a Blu-ray player in their stocking. Numerous reports have shown a dramatic increase in Blu-ray sales this year, with experts estimating that many more thousands of units will be cleared from the shelves before the New Year.

Early today, the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) in conjunction with Greenfield Online, announced the findings of their survey data that show that HDTV users have named the Blu-ray as their most sought after holiday wish list item for 2008. In addition, stats from NPD Group and DisplaySearch show that 147,000 Blu-ray players were purchased during Thanksgiving week, a figure up by 300% over last year's sales. Black Friday Blu-ray sales were also off the chart according to an independent DEG analysis, with sales more than quadrupled that of what was sold in 2007.

"This recent survey data combined with these sales numbers illustrates that, given the economy, people will be spending more time entertaining themselves at home by watching movies ? and the delivery system they want is Blu-ray," said Amy Jo Smith, Executive Director, DEG. "These stats are particularly encouraging because, even with the consumer anxiety out there right now, Blu-ray is poised for a strong holiday sales season."

Blu-ray players aren't the only benefactor of the current HD craze, as Blu-ray discs themselves are experiencing exponential sales growth. Greenfield research shows that consumers more than ever want to receive movies on disc this holiday season, with most preferring a Blu-ray disc gift instead of a standard DVDExperts cite the tough economy as the reason behind the heightened Blu-ray interest, as consumers with HDTV's are becoming more likely to focus on in-home entertainment spending, such as purchasing Blu-ray players and discs, instead of using the money for out of the home activities.b>