Blu-ray is dead

You know what? I am NOT even to going purchase any music/movies Legally if Digital download becomes the most preferred format someday.

**** That, I just get them without paying everytime! I CAN NOT stand Digital download as a form of buying whatsoever!!!

The ONLY way I will ever truly buy something if it's Physical, period.

You know what? I am NOT even to going purchase any music/movies Legally if Digital download becomes the most preferred format someday.

**** That, I just get them without paying everytime! I CAN NOT stand Digital download as a form of buying whatsoever!!!

The ONLY way I will ever truly buy something if it's Physical, period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization

We don't care about the advantages?

Look, I don't care about all that storage, my hard drive is only 10 times bigger than a blu-ray (250GB), and I don't see what in the world I would put on that!?!? Every GarageBand Jam Pack maybe? lol

What I do care about though is that games on the PS3 can be much bigger, I don't want to insert a 2nd, 3rd or 4th optical disc anymore when I'm in the middle of a game. Blu-ray fixed it. Also, companies could have a hard time selecting what to keep and what not to keep for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th optical drive... (ie. in a couple of Final Fantasies, in the last disc, you cannot access a few cities, is it seriously because the story tells you so or was it a storage problem?) So the gaming industry doesn't have to think about it. It's not a lot you might say, but they do save a couple of days.

Most importantly is the video features. 480p is the past, 720p is good, but 1080p is gorgeous. This is what we're looking for when we're watching a movie. If a videophile has the option to choose a DVD or pay a little more to get a blu-ray, I think the choice will be easy, he'll go with a Blu-Ray. It can only touch a small % of the population though, because you need a blu-ray reader, a good and recent TV, etc... Maybe this explains why it's not so popular. HD costs a lot of money, and even though I agree it's not worth all this cash, it's still awesome.

This article fails :(

We don't care about the advantages?

Look, I don't care about all that storage, my hard drive is only 10 times bigger than a blu-ray (250GB), and I don't see what in the world I would put on that!?!? Every GarageBand Jam Pack maybe? lol

What I do care about though is that games on the PS3 can be much bigger, I don't want to insert a 2nd, 3rd or 4th optical disc anymore when I'm in the middle of a game. Blu-ray fixed it. Also, companies could have a hard time selecting what to keep and what not to keep for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th optical drive... (ie. in a couple of Final Fantasies, in the last disc, you cannot access a few cities, is it seriously because the story tells you so or was it a storage problem?) So the gaming industry doesn't have to think about it. It's not a lot you might say, but they do save a couple of days.

Most importantly is the video features. 480p is the past, 720p is good, but 1080p is gorgeous. This is what we're looking for when we're watching a movie. If a videophile has the option to choose a DVD or pay a little more to get a blu-ray, I think the choice will be easy, he'll go with a Blu-Ray. It can only touch a small % of the population though, because you need a blu-ray reader, a good and recent TV, etc... Maybe this explains why it's not so popular. HD costs a lot of money, and even though I agree it's not worth all this cash, it's still awesome.

This article fails :(

So LaserDisc was a resounding success? It had a whole lot more going for it than VHS movies too, you know, and it didn't even come close to replacing VHS.

Most importantly is the video features. 480p is the past, 720p is good, but 1080p is gorgeous. This is what we're looking for when we're watching a movie.

Not everybody looks for that in a movie. Most people are pretty satisfied with DVDs because they look good on standard TVs. It's only the home theater fanatics, such as yourself, that thinks that a "gorgeous" picture justifies spending an extra $10-15 for the Blu-ray version of a movie. VHS has awful quality while DVD doesn't. So, Blu-ray isn't going to just become a huge success right away like DVDs did. It's going to take more time.

Not everybody looks for that in a movie. Most people are pretty satisfied with DVDs because they look good on standard TVs. It's only the home theater fanatics, such as yourself, that thinks that a "gorgeous" picture justifies spending an extra $10-15 for the Blu-ray version of a movie. VHS has awful quality while DVD doesn't. So, Blu-ray isn't going to just become a huge success right away like DVDs did. It's going to take more time.

He mentioned Videophile, how did you missed that?

I am a huge Movie buff, also a Videophile, I gotta see it Sharp and clear!

He mentioned Videophile, how did you missed that?

I am a huge Movie buff, also a Videophile, I gotta see it Sharp and clear!

I know. That's why I said "It's only the home theater fanatics, such as yourself." Only those people feel the need to spend the extra money on better picture quality. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I'm just explaining why that article speculates that Blu-ray will fail. It won't fail, I'm quite sure of that, but it's going to take some time before it reaches the same popularity as DVDs. Until HDTVs become a norm and BD prices start to go down, not everyone will rush out to get a Blu-ray player yet.

2 things wrong with that statement; you don't need 1080p on a smaller than 37" (some even say higher) display, and upconverting players are not limited to 720p. You're mis-stating the cable issue completely. HDMI will happily pass an upconverted signal.

But most people today buy 40"+ HDTVs, which is why I started that Huge HDTV thread (which was finally closed, thankfully). So, since everyone is buying big 1080p HDTVs, people would want the true (non-upscaled) 1080p signal. Cable and DVDs need to be upscaled to 1080p, which is not as good as the true 1080p signal. The only way to get that is through Blu-ray.

No.

Actually it's true. My cousin used to have a 27" regular TV. It broke and now he bought a 46" HDTV and his house is too small too. My co-worker used to have just a 20" regular TV and now he upgraded to a 52" HDTV. Let's face it, people today live large. The larger your TV, the more you'll want the true 1080p signal.

Not everyone is ready to trade up to blu ray

See the economy lately? :laugh:

Actually, that predicts well for Blu-ray. Historically, in hard times, people spend money on entertainment to make themselves feel better. It's how Hollywood blew up during the Great Depression. People have to cancel vacations they can't afford, so they end up buying new TVs/movies/etc.

Actually, that predicts well for Blu-ray. Historically, in hard times, people spend money on entertainment to make themselves feel better. It's how Hollywood blew up during the Great Depression. People have to cancel vacations they can't afford, so they end up buying new TVs/movies/etc.

But this is a "financial" crisis. Why would you spend money on entertainment when the stock market is eating up your money. How are you going to afford it? Not to brag or anything, but I used to be a millionaire. Now thanks to the economy, I ain't anymore.

But this is a "financial" crisis. Why would you spend money on entertainment when the stock market is eating up your money. How are you going to afford it? Not to brag or anything, but I used to be a millionaire. Now thanks to the economy, I ain't anymore.

Uh, last time I checked, the Great Depression was a "financial" crisis.

I know. That's why I said "It's only the home theater fanatics, such as yourself." Only those people feel the need to spend the extra money on better picture quality. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I'm just explaining why that article speculates that Blu-ray will fail. It won't fail, I'm quite sure of that, but it's going to take some time before it reaches the same popularity as DVDs. Until HDTVs become a norm and BD prices start to go down, not everyone will rush out to get a Blu-ray player yet.

But most people today buy 40"+ HDTVs, which is why I started that Huge HDTV thread (which was finally closed, thankfully). So, since everyone is buying big 1080p HDTVs, people would want the true (non-upscaled) 1080p signal. Cable and DVDs need to be upscaled to 1080p, which is not as good as the true 1080p signal. The only way to get that is through Blu-ray.

Actually, most folks buy HDTVs *smaller* than forty inches (especially for bedrooms); it is for that reason that there has been a bloodbath in the 32" FPTV space (also, that is why there is a 37" FPTV space, which has completely replaced the old 36" CRT space; the smallest of 1080p HDTVs are 37 inches).

A forty-two inch HDTV (regardless of whether it is LCD or plasma) still eats up a lot of wall; most folks don't want such a wall-eater in a bedroom (or any room other than a home theater or media room) mostly because they don't have enough flat wall space.

what part of "not on a 32" HDTV" do you not understand?

I have a 37" full HD Samsung, and yes there is a difference, but if you're the average 40yo with eyesight issues you will struggle to notice.

Really not all that different to me. I mean yeah, the BluRay is obviously better, but not enough to justify buying a whole new player for. Especially not for the average consumer who just watches a movie or two every few weeks.

And HD-DVD.

Ah, but that's obsolete now. Now, HD-DVD is what I would call "dead," not Blu-ray. :D

Actually, most folks buy HDTVs *smaller* than forty inches (especially for bedrooms); it is for that reason that there has been a bloodbath in the 32" FPTV space (also, that is why there is a 37" FPTV space, which has completely replaced the old 36" CRT space; the smallest of 1080p HDTVs are 37 inches).

A forty-two inch HDTV (regardless of whether it is LCD or plasma) still eats up a lot of wall; most folks don't want such a wall-eater in a bedroom (or any room other than a home theater or media room) mostly because they don't have enough flat wall space.

But most people buy a TV for their living room before buying one for their bedroom. A bedroom TV is just an additional TV.

Mine still works. The timebomb must not have gone off yet. You know, the timebomb that renders my HD-DVDs useless.

Whoops, sorry. I didn't notice your signature. I don't think they release any new HD-DVDs anymore. Everything now is either DVD or Blu-ray. But I'm with you. I'm kind of bummed that Blu-ray won the war. We can all blame the PS3 for that.

Nope.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32D62U...p/dp/B000NEDYEC

Mine still works. The timebomb must not have gone off yet. You know, the timebomb that renders my HD-DVDs useless.

Lack of support was the timebomb, and render it useless? Nah. Some would even say VHS, or even Betamax is dead, but heres to those still using ancient equipment (Y)

• 2 weeks later...
Yup and we're having another one now.

That's the point. During times of economic crisis (such as, when there's 25% unemployment and even greater numbers of underemployment), people turn to entertainment for escapism - movies, games, etc.

With TV going all digital in the U.S. next year, some people will be looking to upgrade since they are forced to cut costs in other places. While I don't expect a sudden spike in 70" DLP's, smaller HDTVs will get good sales this year considering the situation, possibly even close to last year's numbers. For instance, Circuit City will be looking to get any money they can, even if it means liquidating stock, to keep afloat, so expect good deals.

Sony and the Blu-ray group will be heavily pushing the blockbuster movies like Dark Knight, Ironman, etc. this holiday. Hell, it's cheaper to buy the Blu-ray than to see it in theatres.

In my uninformed economic opinion, expect massive hits in the travel industry, but with winter doldrums and depression, expect entertainment (movie, games, bars, etc.) sales to maintain.

Why will Blu-ray succeed when DVD is "good enough"? Because in America, "good enough" isn't good enough. We need the latest, greatest, shiniest crap to keep up with the Joneses - iPhones, HDTV's, SUV's, laptops, etc.

How much do you pay for a ticket? :p

Well it's usually $12-15 per ticket. So, if you're treating your family and/or friends to a movie, that's quite a fortune. This is precisely why I don't go to theaters anymore. I used to just rent movies until all the Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos in my area closed. I would try Netflix, but I don't like being stuck with a plan. I'd rather pay per rental. Anyways, now I just buy a movie that interests me. If I like it, I keep it; if not, I sell it on Ebay. It beats paying $12 per ticket.