GTA IV for PC (official)

How much is that costing if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted by i7 but dont know if its worth it.

Probably going to be about ?1,100. I've saved for about 10 months solid to get this rig. Lots of people who have Core 2's and PC's under 2 years old don't want to (or need to) upgrade which would be silly hence the price. I've had my PC now 6 years and want something brand spanking new. I would feel like I'm cheating myself now if I got a C2Q now, even though its alot cheaper.

If you have a single core PC, upgrade. If you have anything above an AMD X2 4200+ I would wait until halfway through next year when prices drop.

Probably going to be about ?1,100. I've saved for about 10 months solid to get this rig. Lots of people who have Core 2's and PC's under 2 years old don't want to (or need to) upgrade which would be silly hence the price. I've had my PC now 6 years and want something brand spanking new. I would feel like I'm cheating myself now if I got a C2Q now, even though its alot cheaper.

If you have a single core PC, upgrade. If you have anything above an AMD X2 4200+ I would wait until halfway through next year when prices drop.

Thanks for that.

I got a C2D when they first came out, and while it's weak compared to the newest CPU's, it's still quite good for games and such (my GFX card is the bottleneck)

I hope it naively supports the Xbox 360 controller, but I doubt it will...

It will - the game is a Games for Windows Live game, so it will definitely support 360 controllers.

before you know it, your 280 will be the requirement... this SUCKs... really pushing my 8800 gts. and the quad is just too much i think my e6600 will have to do.

come to think of it, the e6600 and 8800 are both almost 2 years old :(

so i guess the system reqs aren't that bad after all, they require you to have 2 year old hardware...

The requirements seem a little steep :/ Still I'm not surprised about the Quad been the recommended CPU though, seems about right to me.

The specs for this game look insane. I didn't think that much of the graphics for the X360. Other than all the "relationship with other char" bull**** and the horrible gun fight gameplay (which no doubt will be a lot better on the pc) it was a really fun game. But those system requirements make me think that they aren't spending much time optimizing. You can tell they are taking the specs seriously as they took down what was originally posted.

All previous GTA games like GTA 3,Vice City and San Andreas ran better on the PC than the consoles. Better draw distances, larger textures, higher resolutions and a in-game player customised mp3 player were some of the special features that made the PC versions always superior to the console versions. San Andreas sold so much that even people with Celerons were able to enjoy the basic features of the game. It came to such a situation that GTA games were known more famously for its gameplay rather than shiny games. Of course the underlying engine was Criterion software's Renderware which has since ben acquired by EA.

Didn't expect the shiny new RAGE(Rovkstar advanced game engine) to require so much hefty spec machines to run. I wonder what is Rockstar's PC sales target? Also just a week back they released Bully for the PC. Although that game was quite playable on the old PS2, even 880O GTs were suffering from frame rate issues on higher resolutions. Looks to me that Rockstar has lost the art of optimising console games for the PC .

San Andreas sold so much that even people with Celerons were able to enjoy the basic features of the game.

So because San Andreas sold so well, the in-game performance increased? :huh:

All previous GTA games like GTA 3,Vice City and San Andreas ran better on the PC than the consoles. Better draw distances, larger textures, higher resolutions and a in-game player customised mp3 player were some of the special features that made the PC versions always superior to the console versions. San Andreas sold so much that even people with Celerons were able to enjoy the basic features of the game. It came to such a situation that GTA games were known more famously for its gameplay rather than shiny games. Of course the underlying engine was Criterion software's Renderware which has since ben acquired by EA.

Didn't expect the shiny new RAGE(Rovkstar advanced game engine) to require so much hefty spec machines to run. I wonder what is Rockstar's PC sales target? Also just a week back they released Bully for the PC. Although that game was quite playable on the old PS2, even 880O GTs were suffering from frame rate issues on higher resolutions. Looks to me that Rockstar has lost the art of optimising console games for the PC .

I suspect a large part of the reason for that is that it's basically been the same engine for all three games, while hardware has had 7-8 years to advance. Today's Celerons are vastly superior to what was available in 2001.

But I still don't think any of the games would actually run well on a Celeron.

So because San Andreas sold so well, the in-game performance increased? :huh:

No what I meant was because the game was able to run decently on even ancient hardwares, it sold a lot.

@ The_ Decryptor: I still remember I ran San Andreas on my old notebook having a 2.8 GHz Celeron D Processor with 512MB RAM and a Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP. The game ran at a decent fps of 20-25 at a resolution of 1024x768 on 16bit color and graphics being set to medium.

No what I meant was because the game was able to run decently on even ancient hardwares, it sold a lot.

@ The_ Decryptor: I still remember I ran San Andreas on my old notebook having a 2.8 GHz Celeron D Processor with 512MB RAM and a Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP. The game ran at a decent fps of 20-25 at a resolution of 1024x768 on 16bit color and graphics being set to medium.

Since when was 20fps "decent"?

And anyway, I forgot Intel kept pumping out the celerons, the last time I set eyes on one was when I had a 900Mhz Celeron in my main system.

Since when was 20fps "decent"?

And anyway, I forgot Intel kept pumping out the celerons, the last time I set eyes on one was when I had a 900Mhz Celeron in my main system.

For GTA 20fps was just fine.

Some more updated news! After initially mailing to its subscribed customers that GTA IV for PC will be released world wide on 2nd December 2008, Rockstar Games have stated that GTA IV for PC will be released on 2nd Dec 2008 only in North American region. Europe is getting the next day,i.e 3rd Dec 2008. I guess it won't make much of a difference though.

It seems to me they are just being realistic with their system requirements. Even though the system requirement for Far Cry 2 and Crysis are high. They still are not playable even with recommended. I commend Rockstar for trying to be realistic.

My video card is a 286MB Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. Is that good enough to run this game? The system requirements doesn't really specify.

now that is a low low end intel graphics card and prolly hardly run the game at low settings

YEY! :)

Thank god for my Quad core @ 2.4GHZ

4GB Ram

and Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

:)

Off topic: Never known true specs on me graphics card as in how much graphics memory, how can i find out? as in the adapter gives me 3 different numbers! lol :) (attached screenshot)

post-48265-1226523142_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Tim

now that is a low low end intel graphics card and prolly hardly run the game at low settings

Wow! Rockstar is not going to make a lot of sales on this product then. My computer is only a few months old and this computer is extremely powerful too. So, if this game won't work on my computer, then it mostly likely won't work on many other people's computer as well.