The XP SP2 Thread

The method to get rid of the version on your desktop is the same as with the betas of sp1.

Go to your start menu and then to run type certmgr.msc

goto the "Trusted Root Certificate" followed by the subdirectory "Certificates" then

look for "Microsoft Test Root Authority" highlight it and delete it.

restart your puter and the message will be gone.

That didn't work, anyone got an updated method of disabling the desktop msg?

The method to get rid of the version on your desktop is the same as with the betas of sp1.

goto the "Trusted Root Certificate" followed by the subdirectory "Certificates" then

worked for me :)

worked for me :)

ok it worked now, good

This service pack has been great for me. My main reason for installing it was because of the memory management issues in sp1, and i wanted to sort that out asap. However, things don't seem to have improved all that much, its still not starting stuff as fast as it did before sp1, but it has been a slight improvement. i haven't found a single bug/instability, i've got it totally setup to run themes and hacked sp1 shell32.dlls work fine. a small step up from sp1.

well its not because of a modified ntoskrnl.exe - i had a modified one when i installed and it ran without a hitch. so i guess you're SOL and will have to wait for the next build.

this way you wont get that annoying message on your desktop (testing purposes etc etc) !

cheers from Cyprus !

btw where in cyprus are you from?

i live in the south part of Cyprus.

the one that isnt occupied by Turkey.

What do you mean by occupied? I hope you mean where the Cypriot Turks live because turkey isn't occupying North Cyprus. Its it's own republic, in turkey's eyes at least..

I'm Half Turkish and Half Turkish Cypriot btw.

I'll stop now and keep this ontopic, has anyone noticed that when you drag files around on the desktop you can't see it untill you "drop" the file where you want it.

I hope you mean where the Cypriot Turks live because turkey isn't occupying North Cyprus. ..

ok.. check your history :) specially around 1974 (JULY) and read who invaded who!

and YES lets keep this thread ontopic:

the drop bug u see there is bcos the sp2 is still in ALPHA ! :D

Offtopic - I want to go back to the house were my mother was born but i don't see this happening untill the the North And South Reunite. Quotes from the site you posted.

In 1974, the government was overthrown by a coup d' etat engineered by the Colonel's regime in Greece, threatening to bring unification of the island with Greece.
ENIOS failed because of the turkish military, if the greeks didn't try to reunite the island (and commit genocide against the turks), the island wouldn't have the problems that it has now,

I personaly want want the island to reunite, and join the EU, but only after Turkey has joined the EU.. So that i can back to the house were my mother was born, but i don't see this happening untill the Greeks & Turks have equal rights, and a fair government that allows both parties to live together peacefully.

Turkey responded with a massive military operation, acting as a guarantor of the constitution. However, in practice this brought about the division of the island along the green line ever since. Refugees have been unable to return to their homes, the whereabouts of the missing are still unknown, and despite various attempts little progress has been made towards reunifying the island.

No one will get to see there past homes again, only god knows who lives in my grandma's house now..

I've gone and done it again, sorry about the offtopic posts by myself and Soul2keep, mods.

Ontopic- is it safe to use Norton Utilities 2003 on this leak?? :s

Edited by DJ^TuRKiYe

Hey! It did do one thing for me. It added the Microsoft Test Root Authority. WOW! I had to remove it because it made my XP SP1 installation say for evaluation purposes only and show the SP1 build info. Funny :).

So has anyone found a solution for the "Setup Cancelled" issue?

I do not use a modified ntoskrnl.dll and my version of XP is not pirated...

I do not use a modified ntoskrnl.dll and my version of XP is not pirated...

why dont you wait for the BETA version of SP2 ?

SP2 is still in ALPHA ! pre-BETA ... :no:

I can only assume then that its a problem specific to your particular setup. which is the sort of thing which gets ironed out in betas. which probably means you're gonna have to wait. ahh well.

For the record 2 questions for those who installed it and had it working:

1. Any of you running Windows XP MCE?

2. Any using RESET?

Yes to your first question

not sure on second question

anybody wanna tell me why SP2 cancels before it even installs without any explanation as to why?

i launch it and it says welcome to sp2 yada yada, if im fast enough i can get it all the way to "inspecting configuration" but it cancels out without telling me anything it just says "windows xp service pack 2 was cancelled" .....

That would be because your trying to install build 2, this is build 85 ;) the more recent leak :)

It f**k up outlook express I can't reply to group, Went I try I get this ( see below) I try to fix it and still not working right, Do anyone know how I can get it to work right. or do I need to reinstall windows xp sp1 :angry:

Well, what did you expect from an alpha service pack. :rolleyes:

Hi

to remove this "for testing purposes only"line, on your desktop ,delete the following in XP registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4 HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3

Hi

to remove this "for testing purposes only"line, on your desktop ,delete the following in XP registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4 HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3

I believe that you only need to delete

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3

to get rid of the build info.

I don't if it ok to ask it here but I got the SP2 1185 from the newsgroups and I like to know if I can use it to make a SP2 slipstream cd.

This may have been said...

But to remove the version on desktop, go to start - run - type: certmgr.msc

Under 'trusted root certification authority', click certificates, and delete 'microsoft root authority test' or whatever it says, then reboot.

As far as the setup cancelled problem, look at svcpack.log, youll probably get the same error as in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;329261

For a last note. Ive seen people say the new sp2 leak is "build 85". SP1 was 1106, this is 1185. To me, that means this is the 79th build of sp2. I guess people cant count.

-gosh