• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Server 2003

User    0

what version should i get? i'm going to be running it as a workstation

ThunderRiver    2

You get nothing.. server is 3790.. good luck.

Steven    80
what version should i get? i'm going to be running it as a workstation

if you have the money to pay for a 2000+ US Dollar OS, get the Enterprise.

:laugh:

Endoscient    0

any version

NeoMayhem    0

Final RTM is great :p

Poser    0

yeah stable and runnin good here

monofonik    0

i can't find a crack.

Knight'    0

I'm sure it will be on FTP servers in no time :D Get the final RTM version.

Steven    80
i can't find a crack.

Good, Cuz you won't find one on Neowin. Don't even ask for one, or they'll show you to the door. :laugh:

Cube    0

can someone tell me if user switching like windowsxp on the windows2003 server??

or is it the traditional way of loging out (i.e. win2k)

Jason    5
can someone tell me if user switching like windowsxp on the windows2003 server??

or is it the traditional way of loging out (i.e. win2k)

No fast user switching on 2003 Server, its not needed.

dougkinzinger    0

Dudes, remember, it's a SERVER...if you want it to be your workstation, that's fine, but it's not friggin XP all the way....just remember it is a SERVER!

Ji@nBing    53
i can't find a crack.

:laugh: lol, wait untill winbeta releases the VLK version

no name    0

it doesnt have the fancy loggon/welcome screen... if you want those fancy lookings and run as a workstation, well windows xp will be good! :) :p

AndyD    22

I also read that they disabled some things like theme support, which makes sense. It puzzles me why someone would want to run a server program as their main OS for home use. Only reason why I could see someone running it is if you are studying the program. I know some insist on running 2k because of concerns with stability but it's silly. XP does a good enough of job. Wait for Longhorn

Steven    80
I also read that they disabled some things like theme support, which makes sense. It puzzles me why someone would want to run a server program as their main OS for home use. Only reason why I could see someone running it is if you are studying the program. I know some insist on running 2k because of concerns with stability but it's silly. XP does a good enough of job. Wait for Longhorn

your again not looking at what Server Offers a Power User @ Home. Just another oppinion w/o looking at the features.

I'm personally sick of running IIS from home and having people scream at me they can't connect because of xp's 10 limit concurrent crap.

There are valid reasons to use Server Over XP. Learn Them. :D

epple    20

is it just me or do you think ms should make like a ws-version of 2003? we have a guide to make one tho.. kind of ws. :)

it would rock imo.

AndyD    22

Well xStaindx, I'm not talking about people who actually will use the services. I'm talking about those who simply use it because of stability issues (I know plenty who do for this reason alone) when all they do is run office, browse and play games. Obviously, you will need to run Win2k3 if you want to run webservices.

JnCoKiLLa    0
is it just me or do you think ms should make like a ws-version of 2003? we have a guide to make one tho.. kind of ws. :)

it would rock imo.

They do have a Web Server Version of Windows 2003 Server......It $399 according to the site...Its called Window 2003 Web Server Edtion

dougkinzinger    0

oh yeah, and everyone change your nomenclature now ... it's "Windows Server 2003 <Standard, Web, etc.> Edition"

jetb2    0

If you already belong to a network which services do you need to stop so that w2k3 server doesn't interrupt your existing network? Can that information be added to the next update of the server -> workstation guide? Thanks.

Edited by jetb2

AJCrowley Esq    0
:laugh: lol, wait untill winbeta releases the VLK version

Then you'll be waiting a long time. The whole point of the VLK system in XP was to allow administrators to deploy XP over thousands of workstations without having to worry about activating each. Since 2003 is server only, there will be no VLKs. Sysadmins will have to activate their copies of Windows Server no matter where they work, which shouldn't really be a problem, given the number of servers that are likely to be running it in any one (even large) enterprise.

No matter how much I go over this, nobody seems to listen, so I'll say it one last time - there are, and will be no Volume License Keys coming out for Windows Server 2003.

Ji@nBing    53
Then you'll be waiting a long time. The whole point of the VLK system in XP was to allow administrators to deploy XP over thousands of workstations without having to worry about activating each. Since 2003 is server only, there will be no VLKs. Sysadmins will have to activate their copies of Windows Server no matter where they work, which shouldn't really be a problem, given the number of servers that are likely to be running it in any one (even large) enterprise.

No matter how much I go over this, nobody seems to listen, so I'll say it one last time - there are, and will be no Volume License Keys coming out for Windows Server 2003.

;) well winbeta has said they are getting one ready for release so we'll see